Menu

Started using xylinol as a sweetener to replace sugar...

Well, to replace as often as I can. :tongue_smilie: It is expensive. Where/how can I buy this for less than what I paid = $12.00/lb? You can replace it "cup for cup" in those recipes calling for sugar (for baking, etc). The one I bought is derived from birch tree NOT corn.

I noticed in our grocery store that stevia can now be purchased as a cup to cup replacement.

Have any of you tried either one of these? :bigear:

I use Ideal. It has xylitol in it, but I don't know if it's the same as what you are using. It's about 7 dollars or so for maybe 2 or 3 lbs (judging by the size of the bag--I don't have it in front of me as we are out until tomorrow). I bought it in the baking aisle of our local grocery--Food Lion.

We have Food Lion here too - HQ in state actually.

Since I don't use chemical sweeteners, I had to find a sweetener that is "natural". I used to use splenda, equal, etc until I decided my interest was in natural sources.

Very expensive though!

I use stevia and there is no way it is cup to cup on sweetness. You use much less stevia.

Yep. I find one tiny packet of stevia in a cup of coffee is waaaaay to sweet for me, and I like sweet coffee. I often make recipes with one packet of stevia for 6-8 servings (I'd probably use 2 packets if I were making it for company with standard tastebuds, but my kids are happy with things that are much less sweet).

It sounds like she was talking about a type of stevia formulated to be used 1:1, but I'd be concerned about what else it was mixed with in that case.

I wouldn't switch to xylitol as a complete sugar replacement in cooking - as others have said, having more than 1-2tsp/day will give you digestive issues (diahrrea, etc...)

It is far better for your teeth and overall health to dissolve 1-2 tsp in a glass of water and take a sip or two after each meal and snack - that cleanses the mouth by helping kill off bacteria. Alternately, use xylitol gum or mints after eating.

I am fine using xylitol derived from corn instead of birch and I have seen it on amazon.com

We used xylitol previously, but I now prefer a mix of erythritol and stevia. I buy from Global Sweet as their product is non GMO and not sourced from China. I like NuNaturals stevia (the pure stuff, not the version bulked with maltodextrin).

We use Xylitol toothpaste and do use it for baking, but if I overdo it we do get GI issues. Some people find they can work up a tolerance to xylitol. At this point I only use it here and there and use erythritol the vast majority of the time.

Xylitol is sweeter than erythritol. Erythritol is only about 70 percent as sweet as sugar, so it helps to enhance its sweetness with a little stevia. They have good synergy together as sweeteners.

Thanks for all of your replies.

I am a bit confused. Are you saying that xylitol is not as good as stevia? I did eat about 1-2 t. the first day and had some digestive issues. Is that the main reason why there is not much support for replacing sugar with xylitol?

Thanks again.

Yes, xylitol works better at a small theraputic dose (it is useful for tooth decay/mouth bacteria issues as well as sinus and ear infections) but it's not great at 1:1 replacement for sugar due to its digestive effects.

My girlfriend was bothered by the "digestive effects" for about a week and now it doesn't bother her. I never had the same issue. My children haven't had any issues either. Perhaps these effects affect certain people more than others?