Menu

Second grade math?

happypamama

What math might you recommend that is inexpensive and good for a fairly mathy 7-8yo boy? He's a bit of a late bloomer, so we've gone slowly, but he's really blossomed and is flying through Miquon. I expect we'll finish all six books by this fall, early next spring at the latest. He gets the concepts very quickly and is also thriving with flashcard supplements to cement facts. He enjoys a bit of the "explore the concepts, look for patterns" that Miquon does (as opposed to his older sister, who doesn't care for the exploration at all), so I think he'd enjoy some of the "why" of math, but I want him practicing the steps too. Math is my strong subject, and I see DS1 intuitively doing the same sorts of little tricks that I do.

I know nothing about Life of Fred, MEP, etc., so I am interested in what you might recommend for after Miquon for this child.

HSBC is running the MM sale right now. It may go up to 50% off the bundles again (making it $68 for grades 1-6 light blue). That's a good buy for a mathy kid, especially if you think he might accelerate through some of it.

I love Singapore also, but it's more expensive to accelerate. We used MM to do our "get to where he is" point, then we switched over to Singapore now that we're slowed down a tad (we'll still finish a year's worth of work in less than a school year, but we won't go through 3 years' worth in less than a school year ;) ).

The big thing about MM is realizing that you don't have to do all the problems, especially with a mathy kid who gets things quickly. Also, you can use the C-rods with it.

I would also suggest Singapore's IP and CWP books. They go nicely with MM. Just check the TOC to pick the grade level correctly, since scope and sequence is different between the two. I usually had to use IP and CWP a year behind MM in the early grades (they get more even in the upper grades, ending up at roughly the same place at the end of 6th grade).

I would also suggest Singapore's IP and CWP books. They go nicely with MM. Just check the TOC to pick the grade level correctly, since scope and sequence is different between the two.

:iagree:

I also highly recommend MEP. Based off of how you've described your son, MEP seems that it would be a great match for him. If nothing else, just look through some of the materials. After all, you can't beat the price. :D

We are using CSMP 2nd grade right now, and I completely recommend it for a mathy kid. I love that we are doing lots of advanced concepts but at my child's level--negative numbers, multiplication, fractions, estimating large numbers. And it is free online.

We are using CSMP 2nd grade right now, and I completely recommend it for a mathy kid. I love that we are doing lots of advanced concepts but at my child's level--negative numbers, multiplication, fractions, estimating large numbers. And it is free online.

Ooooh, I'm kind of liking the looks of that! I've looked a little at MEP, and it's not grabbing me. Thanks!

I would also suggest MM, but I think MEP might be a better fit. While the HSBC sale lasts until the end of the of the month (they will most likely run it again later this year,) MEP is free and available anytime. :001_smile:

True. I don't think I'm going to get the MM bundle right now, though, even though it's on sale. It's still more than I want to spend at one time if we're not sure if we'll like it.