Menu

Art?

6wishes

I am not at all artistic and am going to attempt to teach art myself for the first year...what would be a do-able art curriculum, and how often is it suggested to to do art in a week? I have two girls- age 9 and 10. If I'm doing science also, do you alternate days between doing them? Thanks!

I used to be "artistic" but that was before I had kids...back when I had free time. I would like to say that I'm capable of planning an art program that allows individual expression/creativity/blahblah....but I'm not. I need an outline to follow. :001_smile:

I bought How to Teach Art to Children (from Amazon but there's a good preview at CBD) and I think it is a great jumping off point. And it's quite inexpensive. :) It goes through the elements of art (line, color, shape, etc) and gives multiple lessons to teach/explore each element. I plan on doing a few lessons each Friday (many of the lessons are pretty short and would flow/go well together).

I looked through the book the other night, and I really think DD will like it. (Many of the activities are geared toward a group setting, but I think they can easily be adapted to 1-2 children...plus I plan on participating just for the fun of it!)

Edited by alisoncooks

I've tried a lot of different things, but probably one of my favorite so far has been How to Teach Art to Children, which a previous poster mentioned. It's simple, doesn't require a lot of prep, and I think it's a good start for introducing different concepts.

I have also done Artistic Pursuits, but I thought it was kind of expensive for what I got. I liked the art appreciation aspect, but it felt kind of repetitive as far as the art projects.

Another of my favorite things has been finding blogs of art teachers and copying things they have done. This past year I just picked about 20 artists, got a book from the library about them, and then found an idea on the internet that involved making something that related to the artist we were studying. My children have enjoyed that the most of everything we've done. Here are a few blogs that I love:

Deep Space Sparkle

Adventures of an Art Teacher

A Faithful Attempt

That's just a few - there are many out there once you get started! It took a little time, but ultimately it's been the biggest winner here (and, of course, free except for supplies!). I liked the flexibility to pick a project that worked with our time for the week and what art supplies we had available at the moment. Also, How to Teach Art to Children has a a large selection in the back of the book that follows this same idea - doing an art project in the style of a certain artist, and includes a brief biography of the artist.

I love doing art, and it's definitely a huge favorite around here!

Sarah

I have a copy of Drawing with Children by Mona Brooks- you can view it on Rainbow Resource for here - http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/003756/fe501050fb520394fdf53f59

I got lucky and scored a used copy for under $2 at a local thrift store. I am not artistically inclined (anymore) and I think this looks very do-able. :001_smile:

Art With a Purpose. I think you could do one lesson a week.

:iagree: I haven't used all the levels but was happy with the upper elementary levels I've used.

These are some of my favorite books for moms who know NOTHING about art. These are books I keep loaning out, and have to keep repurchasing over and over.

Teaching Art with Books Kids Love

Using Color in Your Art

You Can Draw in 30 Days

123 Draw People

Ed Emberley Funprint

Ed Emberley Green Book