Menu

Help me choose a math program

Jess4879

I'm trying to decide what math to use next year for Grade 1 and Grade 4.

I want:

- a TG that explains concepts well

- a TG that reminds me to do daily drill and review

- I would like it if there were chapter reviews and tests built right in

I prefer a mastery based program. I don't mind something somewhat teacher intensive.

We have toyed with Singapore, although I have zero idea which version to buy (standards or US?) or which elements of the program I need. Does the TG explain concepts really well? Is there review built in?

We also looked at Math in Focus, but there isn't built in drill, from what I can see, and so many of the activities seem classroom based. And for the price, I can't really afford to go this route AND supplement with another program if I want.

We are currently using Jump Math 3.1/3.2 with DD8 and it is ok. What I don't like is having to print out the TG and I also dislike some of the explanations in it. There is zero built in review and no reminders to do drill or expectations of that in any way. What I do like - it has a solid base and is inexpensive. We also have used bits and pieces of MM, which DD likes as a change. I am hesitant to use it as my base though, and I am not sure why...

Someone kindly tell me what to buy so I don't have to think about this anymore...

If you have the Light Blue grade level curriculum for MM, note that there are cumulative reviews for each chapter (in addition to the regular chapter reviews) and chapter tests, located in the supportive materials folder. MM does not have a teacher guide, but as you may know, all explanation is contained in the text to the student. There are some notes and suggestions to the teacher at the start of each chapter. MM is very solid, and if you have liked your experience with the bits you have used, you should consider MM. Plus, it is a great value.

SM also sounds like a good option for you, though I have not seen the Home Instructor Guides.

I want:

I prefer a mastery based program. I don't mind something somewhat teacher intensive.

We have toyed with Singapore, although I have zero idea which version to buy (standards or US?) or which elements of the program I need. Does the TG explain concepts really well? Is there review built in?

We also looked at Math in Focus, but there isn't built in drill, from what I can see, and so many of the activities seem classroom based. And for the price, I can't really afford to go this route AND supplement with another program if I want.

We are currently using Jump Math 3.1/3.2 with DD8 and it is ok. What I don't like is having to print out the TG and I also dislike some of the explanations in it. There is zero built in review and no reminders to do drill or expectations of that in any way. What I do like - it has a solid base and is inexpensive. We also have used bits and pieces of MM, which DD likes as a change. I am hesitant to use it as my base though, and I am not sure why...

Someone kindly tell me what to buy so I don't have to think about this anymore...

Horizons fits a lot of what you want. If you follow the TM, there is drill every day and plenty of review. The TM helps me teach the concepts well. However, I think people who are uncomfortable with math generally don't like Horizons as much because they need something more scripted or video lessons in order to teach the concepts. Horizons has a test every ten lessons.

Horizons is a spiral program rather than mastery. However, you may like it for that reason because there are a ton of review exercises built into the program every day.

I use Horizons as my main program and am extremely happy with it. I also add in Singapore's Challenging Word Problems, Mental Math, and Extra Practice workbooks during the year and summer to get a little Asian-style math and practice in applying the concepts.

Hope you find something you like.

Horizons fits a lot of what you want. If you follow the TM, there is drill every day and plenty of review. The TM helps me teach the concepts well. However, I think people who are uncomfortable with math generally don't like Horizons as much because they need something more scripted or video lessons in order to teach the concept.

I had checked out the Horizon's, but couldn't get a good feel for it based on the piddly samples. :glare: What type of teacher guidance do they give for introducing a new topic - like multiplication? I definitely would say I fall into the "uncomfortable" group when it comes to math. I don't need scripted, but a laid out plan with examples is good for me. (Not so much at Grade 1, but more so at Grade 3 level)

You might want to look into McRuffy. That is what we use and it is very teacher friendly. The teacher's manual is very easy to use and explains everything you need to do or show the student and it tells you which drill sheets to use with each lesson. I couldn't be happier with this program. We have used it for two dc from K to 3rd grade, and even though they have different learning styles, both have done really well in math. They have a lot of samples to look at on their website. BTW, we use the color math, which is the newer version.

I had checked out the Horizon's, but couldn't get a good feel for it based on the piddly samples. :glare: What type of teacher guidance do they give for introducing a new topic - like multiplication? I definitely would say I fall into the "uncomfortable" group when it comes to math. I don't need scripted, but a laid out plan with examples is good for me. (Not so much at Grade 1, but more so at Grade 3 level)

Multiplication is introduced in the 2nd grade year, but drilled in earnest during the 3rd grade year. The concept starts with teaching skip counting using a number chart from 1-99. Here is a quote from lesson 13 of the 2nd grade book TM that introduces skip counting:

"Count out loud with the student(s) by threes to 36 using the number chart. The student(s) will count to 36 which includes all the multiplication facts they will be learning for three."

There are 30 lessons which include "multiplication readiness," involving skip counting and other methods. There are activities where pictures are used (on the worksheet) to demonstrate the concept of multiplication. Here is an example of what the TM says (there may be instruction earlier in the TM which gives more detailed instruction which I don't have time to find at the moment):

"Have the student(s) count the first set of triangles in Student Activity Two. Then have them tell how many rows there are and how many in each row. Write the answers in the blanks. Now have them tell the multiplication fact that is represented by the triangles. Allow those student(s) who are capable to complete the activity by themselves. Help those who need assistance."

There are also activities where there is a group of shapes, and the child circles sets of certain number (such as circles groups of 3 triangles). He then understands something like five groups of three triangles equals 15, which is the same as saying 5 x 3 = 15 (or something similar to that example).

Starting with lesson 61 in the 2nd grade TM, flash cards for multiplication facts start to be used. Here is a quote from lesson 61:

"Using flash cards for multiplication facts, drill 0's and 1's with the answers showing. When a card shows '6 x 1 = 6 ,' have the student(s) say, 'Six times one equals six and one times six equals six.' It is important for them to learn the facts in pairs every time. By doing this, the number of facts left to learn when they start the 7's, 8's, and 9's will be very few."

Perhaps this doesn't give you the complete feel of the TM, but maybe it gives you a taste. There are about six to ten activities for you to teach from the TM each day similar to the quotes above. The first time a concept is introduced there is more detailed instruction on how to explain it to the student. After that, the TM will frequently instruct you to teach or review the concept again, but often it will give less specific instruction on how to teach it since it assumes that you would already know. There are no pictures in the TM, but there are pictures on the practice worksheets.

My dh and I think the TM is very clear and easy to understand. I read one blurb in the TM, and then I teach it to my child on a white board. When he understands it, I go on to the next blurb in the TM and teach that, and so on until I cover everything and my child understands it. This works well for our family. However, dh and I are both good at math and have taken advanced math courses. I think others who were not "math people" may have trouble trying to teach from the TM because it may not make perfect sense to them. Some people like clear examples and a lot of pictures and script to help them know the right words to say to give a good explanation. They may not be able to think of additional examples if their child doesn't understand on the first try at explaining a concept.

I hope this make some sense and helps you make your decision.

I need help with this too. My daughter is first grade. We did Horizons 1st grade, there first half. She was going crazy with all the drill and review and she asked to change, so I told her we could. BUT.... I got Singapore 1b and it's SO different. I don't have the teachers manual either and I am struggling. It has MUCH less practice than horizons and I almost wish we could go back to horizons BECAUSE my daughter doesn't have the basic addition facts memorized, much less the subtraction (we have practiced a lot with flash cards, but I don't know what games or other things to do). If I give her a drill worksheet she will sit there forever. She hates being under a timed drill. I tried a computer fact drill which is timed and she freaked out big time. She shuts down with timed things or trying to do things fast. She is very SLOW with all of her work.

Its hard to go forward, when she doesn't have the facts memorized.

Should I get the Singapore TM or do a different curriculum all together?

It sounds like Rightstart Math would be a good fit. I found the teacher manual to be really easy to understand, there is daily drill, and the worksheets are simple and easy to read. I would still be using Rightstart if it went up to the high school level. They have samples online so you can check it out and see if it would work for you. Your older child would probably start in the Transitions book and then jump right into whatever level fits from there.

I need help with this too. My daughter is first grade. We did Horizons 1st grade, there first half. She was going crazy with all the drill and review and she asked to change, so I told her we could. BUT.... I got Singapore 1b and it's SO different. I don't have the teachers manual either and I am struggling. It has MUCH less practice than horizons and I almost wish we could go back to horizons BECAUSE my daughter doesn't have the basic addition facts memorized, much less the subtraction (we have practiced a lot with flash cards, but I don't know what games or other things to do). If I give her a drill worksheet she will sit there forever. She hates being under a timed drill. I tried a computer fact drill which is timed and she freaked out big time. She shuts down with timed things or trying to do things fast. She is very SLOW with all of her work.

Its hard to go forward, when she doesn't have the facts memorized.

Should I get the Singapore TM or do a different curriculum all together?

Yes, you should get the Home Instructor's Guide and you should move back to 1A. Singapore is ahead of other programs. If she doesn't have her facts to 10 memorized she needs to start at 1A. The HIG has game ideas and mental math practice for drill. And if you need more, you can buy the Extra Practice books or the Intensive Practice books....

Singapore is WONDERFUL! Please don't give it up without using the TM first!

I want:

It sounds like you want Singapore Standards edition. Clear explanation in teacher's manuals. Game ideas and mental math practice for drill. More review than in U.S. edition. Mastery based.

We love it here!!!

It sounds like Rightstart Math would be a good fit. I found the teacher manual to be really easy to understand, there is daily drill, and the worksheets are simple and easy to read. I would still be using Rightstart if it went up to the high school level. They have samples online so you can check it out and see if it would work for you. Your older child would probably start in the Transitions book and then jump right into whatever level fits from there.

:iagree: Beginning in Level C, every 6th lesson is a review worksheet and it usually has a mid-year and end-of-year test. I like that RS only has two books - student worksheets and teacher's manual.

Review and drill is built into the daily warm-ups or in the games. My kids have not needed any additional review.

When you wrote what you wanted, I thought, Wow!, she's talking about our math program! We use Rod and Staff math and couldn't be happier. It has a fantastic teacher's manual that carefully walks you through each step, ensures you do sufficient oral and written review, and effortless guides you throughout the lessons. From grade 4 on up, there are good oral mental math exercises included, as well as chapter reviews and tests. You can see samples here:http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Mathematics_for_Christian_Living_Series/

The series is inexpensive and right now, they're even having a 10% off sale.

Although I was hesitant at first to move to R&S, because of the complaints I've heard about it being too drill-oriented without enough conceptual work, now that we've been using the program for four years, I am fully convinced it is a top-notch program.

Edited by daybreaking
Clarity

Perhaps this doesn't give you the complete feel of the TM, but maybe it gives you a taste. There are about six to ten activities for you to teach from the TM each day similar to the quotes above. The first time a concept is introduced there is more detailed instruction on how to explain it to the student. After that, the TM will frequently instruct you to teach or review the concept again, but often it will give less specific instruction on how to teach it since it assumes that you would already know. There are no pictures in the TM, but there are pictures on the practice worksheets.

Thank you for taking the time to do this! It is a big help to be able to get a better idea of how the TG is laid out! :001_smile:

I also vote Horizons, which as a previous poster mentioned is a spiral based program, but otherwise seems to fit what you are looking for. We have used it for 3 years and really enjoy it. Some days there is A LOT of work to do, so we just chug through it. I know others have cut back on some of those days and only assigned half the problems so it wasn't so much workbook work.