Menu

what curriculum would you use if? Help!

Mammy5

What curriculum or combo of would you use if you were looking for the following:

-Christian

-IG, commentary, with socratic questioning,

-History highly literature intensive learning about the west and the east, integrating missions, and cultures, art/artist, musicians

-Geography integrated into the history but come out with the Countries memorized and able to draw the world map, rivers..etc.

-further book lists if want to go deeper into a subject

-Maybe integrates Susan Bauers writing courses (WWE) but this isn't neccesary, I could always just substitute this.

-some hands on activities although I'd rather spend the extra time teaching the kids to hand sew or carve.

-Set up so children from a wide age range can study the same period in history

-Some memory work

-Science similar to WTM

-prefer books from VP, Sonlight, All through the Ages

What curriculum would you use if you wanted them things? This is what I am looking for, help! There probably isn't anything out there that does all of these things, what comes the closest? and how would you supplement to add on what's missing? I've really been researching and trying to find something that will work for me in the long haul. Thought I'd ask the buffet!

Have you looked at Easy Classical? I can't link from my phone, but I think the only thing you wouldn't get are the Socratic style questions and integration of WWE. A disclaimer: I haven't actually used but look at it every year. They have grade specific all inclusive guides and then subject guides for use with multiple age ranges.

Biblioplan fills some of that criteria as well. In particular, it tries to be a "-History highly literature intensive learning about the west and the east, integrating missions, and cultures, art/artist, musicians" (except maybe for theeastern culture; I know it does the rest). It doesn't include science, memory work, writing, etc., however. If you get the crafts book, it has some of those hands-on activities.

For "IG, Commentary, with Socratic questioning," have you considered Truthquest? A lot of people seem to like it, although I personally think that it's a little too full of breathless narration, judging by the samples. (It seems like every sentence that isn't a question ends in an exclamation point! Ouch!!!)

Both of these programs are set up to have multiple ages work together.

I look at Tapestry of Grace and want it to work, but then I shake myself and say, "The cost! The planning! I only have littles!" Is there anything Mammy5 and I can do before TOG?!

While children are so young, I don't think you need a program. It's probably best to bring home stacks of books from the library on whatever subject your children seem interested in. And, you continue teaching the basics, laying a solid foundation so they can work hard when they are older. We did TOG very 'lite' until last year, when my oldest hit 4th grade. Before then, I mostly read aloud from the booklist and did something hands-on to match what we read about.

I suggest Easy Classical for younger children, and you can message me if you are interested in K or 4th grade Full guides. I bought them, and have too many children to use all of it with, so I am so glad I found it, and did get some great books, then I got TOG 2 to look at, but my dh is upset at how much the books cost for all of our children and I made a short list! Our library is not much help with any list and I do try every time I can to look online with 1 out of 20 if we are lucky! So the cost is why I am not going to use it.

Easy Classical would be my choice if I only had 3-4 children that I could use it at the same time with. They have plans for K-6 and you can buy Full Schedules or just the Core or History, so I would take a look. My original plan to be frugal and just use it for 5 children too far apart in age did not work out. I still needed to add Omnibus or something more rigorous, and then I kept reading about TOG on here!

I am just going to focus on MOH2, SOTW 2, Omnibus 2, CC memory work year 2, along with great books from Easy classical, SL, and TOG2 for reading aloud. I like IEW and FLL, and am switching to some Singapore Math, :lol: my head has been spinning for over a month trying to switch from SL core W now, and planning next year too. I am not in a co-op anymore and have to be realistic about what I can do alone ( with God's help!) and I want to do Science, Art, Latin, Spanish, and a few other electives of our choosing, and need time for a tutor or music lessons, camps, etc. I have had health problems, and We are having a baby in May too! That is why I felt like TOG would be too much planning and work for me or I would just use it. I am not normally a curriculum junkie, but sure look like one now! I have been stressing over planning a course to stick with for HS and I have to look before I make a choice, with only a very small HS conference to go to this month and not many vendors.

MFW is integrated in the lower grades as well, but I did not like C to G and maybe it was just me and it was the first curriculum with IG I ever tried. It had alot of book suggestions in addition and my father was dying at the time. We were also in a co-op that took alot of time to study and prepare for. I did look at MFW seriously and because we have studied Ancient History so much and not done much with Middle Ages I felt this was best to start on, then 2 years of American History. My focus is on my oldest 2 and they are my priority as far as planning what History & Literature to follow to cover enough and still have time for the Math, Writing, and Latin since I don't have any help.

I also like Geography Songs with book and Map, and I kept the Markable Map from SL to use. Tracing paper is also good for copying maps. And I got the 3rd edition of Foundations Guide from CC on sale to use for my young ones... We love the memory songs, science suggestions and maps in it.

Edited by TGHEALTHYMOM