Menu

Talk to me about pressure canners

I think any of the name brand products would be fine. As to exploding, for that to happen you'd almost have to set out to do it intentionally by blocking the relief valve or adding weight to it.

Although we've never used a pressure cooker for cooking actual food, I've used several different models in my lab over the years as substitutes for an autoclave (for sterilizing agar for growing bacteria cultures and so on). I didn't notice much difference in convenience, build quality, or anything else.

Do make sure to check the design pressure. For 100 years, the standard pressure was 15 pounds per square inch over atmospheric. Some newer models operate at lower pressures like 10.6 PSI, which reduces the steam temperature significantly. Those low-pressure models take a *lot* longer to properly sterilize containers.

Presto and American ? (can't remember the second word in the name) are the two most common ones. Both are well regarded in the canning forums I've hung out in. If I remember correctly Presto comes in two sizes and I think the American has a model where you can do two stacks of pints.

I've never seen the American in the stores around here but the Presto I've seen many places and goes on sale pretty frequently. I would decide how much you are planning to can at a time and pick which ever one handles that size easily.

I have a Mirro that was made in the 1940's and it still works great! I bought it used and immediately ordered new rubber gaskets and relief valve rings. Then I took it to a nearby county Extension office where they check and calibrate pressure canners for people for free. As old as mine was, and at a cost of only $15, it performed perfectly! The lady checking it said she had seen brand new ones that weren't as accurate.

Definitely get a copy of the Ball blue book canning guide. I think Walmart carries them, as well as many bookstores. It gives up to date information on canning procedures, pressures and times. Be very cautious of tales of what "they" used to do. Recycling mayonaise jars isn't such a good idea since they are much thinner glass now. Processing in the dishwasher rarely brings the jar to the proper temp for long enough. Don't try to water bath can low acid foods. Sure, some of these things may have worked in Grandma's day, but lots of people got sick and died from food borne illness then!

I also have one of the new electric pressure cookers. I wouldn't can in it, but it is great for cooking rice, dried beans, frozen meat, etc.

As previously mentioned, for safety, always check to verify that the steam escape valve is functioning properly and not clogged by anything. And mark the date on your home canned foods - no matter how much you think you will remember, it is terribly easy to forget what red stuff went into those little jars or exactly when you canned them!

Can a pressure canner be used on a smooth electric stovetop (ie, one that cycles on and off for a temperature average rather than something like gas that produce a consistent temperature)?

Yep. That's what I use mine on. I have a 16 qt Presto that fits perfectly on my large burner spot. It has a 5-10-15lb rocker weight (change by adding discs) and a rubber emergency relief valve. It's never popped the relief valve (or exploded) no matter how crazy the rocking got before I turned the heat down.

I love it so much that we bought an electric pressure cooker for making food (because it takes for.ev.er to get the stovetop one up to pressure for cooking).

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Yep. That's what I use mine on. I have a 16 qt Presto that fits perfectly on my large burner spot. It has a 5-10-15lb rocker weight (change by adding discs) and a rubber emergency relief valve. It's never popped the relief valve (or exploded) no matter how crazy the rocking got before I turned the heat down.

I love it so much that we bought an electric pressure cooker for making food (because it takes for.ev.er to get the stovetop one up to pressure for cooking).

So, there are models you just plug in, that you don't put on your stove top? Kind of like a crock pot? That sounds like a great option, I could plug it in out on the patio or out in the garage.

I bought a water bath canner a few years ago but have been too chicken to use it. If I am going to can veggies I know I need a pressure canner anyway.

Thanks for this thread, OP!

So, there are models you just plug in, that you don't put on your stove top? Kind of like a crock pot? That sounds like a great option, I could plug it in out on the patio or out in the garage.

I bought a water bath canner a few years ago but have been too chicken to use it. If I am going to can veggies I know I need a pressure canner anyway.

Thanks for this thread, OP!

an electri pressure cooker cannot be used for canning. so far as I know, there is no such thing as an electric pressure canner. an electric pressure cooker usually takes less than 20 minutes to cook food, so you might not need to put it in the garage (at least I can't think of a reason when it takes so little time).

also pressure canners need to be supervised to make sure they stay up to pressure the whole time. I dont think it would be a good idea to have one in the garage anyway

an electri pressure cooker cannot be used for canning. so far as I know, there is no such thing as an electric pressure canner. an electric pressure cooker usually takes less than 20 minutes to cook food, so you might not need to put it in the garage (at least I can't think of a reason when it takes so little time).

also pressure canners need to be supervised to make sure they stay up to pressure the whole time. I dont think it would be a good idea to have one in the garage anyway

Okay, got it - pressure canners and pressure cookers, NOT the same thing. Sigh, I hoped I'd found a perfect appliance. :D

I will shop for canners. And keep it inside where I can keep an eye on it. Thanks!

I bought this one a few years ago, and absolutely love it! It comes up to pressure much faster than the Mirro it replaced, and I like that there is not a gasket. It's a metal on metal seal.

http://www.amazon.com/All-American-2-Quart-Pressure-Cooker-Canner/dp/B00004S893/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330709766&sr=8-2

This is the one I bought and I absolutely *love* it! My stove has a low overhead/microwave and this one fits. The larger models will not. It never needs gasket replacements. After you add the weight to the steam let-off, you can tell by ear (after much practice) just how far to turn the burner so that it jiggles 4 times a minute and you don't have to stand there and watch the temperature (although I did for quite a while). It's very easy to use and if I didn't have limited overhead stove space, I'd buy the 14 quart one.

Karen