Menu

For those who crochet...

...are there any good places to buy yarn online? Also, is one brand of crochet hook better than another? I have fallen in love with the Granny Stripe blankets and really want to try and make one. I would appreciate your advice!

Knit Picks has some very nice yarn at good prices:

http://www.knitpicks.com/knitting.cfm

I like the Boye crochet hooks, but I think it's just personal preference.

I've bought from JoAnn before and been pleased. Online buying is the best way to hopefully get the same dye lot! I'll sometimes buy a skein locally (Michaels) to see if I like the feel of the yarn before dropping a lot on the yarn for an afghan.

I prefer metal hooks.

I always buy my yarn at the store because I like to feel it first. I like the idea of making a note of what you like at the store and buying online....but do I have the self control to stop myself from buying once I see yarn I like? :lol:

I wasn't able to crochet until I bought Susan Bates hooks. I also prefer metal.

I'm the oddball--I like plastic hooks. Not the acrylic kind, the nylon (?) kind that is a bit bendy. My ds prefers metal. I find metal hurts my hands.

I just checked--it's Luxite and they're Bates. Whichever kind of hooks you prefer you can get a basic set at your local craft store; if you have a coupon it's a really good deal. I got this set of 6 for $2.99 less 40% with a coupon. Woo-hoo!