Menu

If you used/previewed MFW highschool and didn't like it

My oldest ds and dd did World History two years ago and then last year my oldest dd did the Year 3 American History/Government. Of the two courses, they both really liked the World History year even though it was a lot of work and was very challenging for them.

The American History/Government didn't go over so well with my daughter. She didn't like the American History Textbook from BJU - probably because we just don't use textbooks for history much around here. The literature was fine but there was something about the year that just didn't set as well for her as the previous year.

Then we looked at the year four offerings at the convention last year and she really had no enthusiasm at all for it. The literature is completely different in year 4 - basically just a reading list and since that was her favorite part of the previous two years she was disappointed and we decided to go a different direction for this year.

I purchased AHL for my next ds but as soon as I saw it I knew it would never fly with him without a lot of anguish and gnashing of teeth so I returned it and we're doing something a bit less challenging this year - he would have needed a lot of hand-holding and with all the littles I just didn't have time to keep up with it.

I had similar feelings on the literature in US2 based on my first look at it at convention. I thought, really? huh? hmm...

But now, a year later... I have it on the floor next to me... still wondering... but that's 1.5 years away for me......

I'll describe it a bit more because more information is helpful to decide. Everyone likes different stuff.

1st semester, they recommend reading 9 novels in the first 18 weeks. More than 9 are given, and they say if you don't like this. it's ok to pick others. books are related to historical time frame. Some of the books are going to be "classics" in high school literature, such as Gatsby, and to kill a mockingbird. Others are a bit more on lines of Sgt. York, or Christy.

Then the student does the Jim Stobaugh approach with novel summaries for each book.

2nd semester - speech and communications for English credit.

I don't know if we'll like US1 and 2 or not. :)

-crystal

I had similar feelings on the literature in US2 based on my first look at it at convention. I thought, really? huh? hmm...

But now, a year later... I have it on the floor next to me... still wondering... but that's 1.5 years away for me......

I'll describe it a bit more because more information is helpful to decide. Everyone likes different stuff.

1st semester, they recommend reading 9 novels in the first 18 weeks. More than 9 are given, and they say if you don't like this. it's ok to pick others. books are related to historical time frame. Some of the books are going to be "classics" in high school literature, such as Gatsby, and to kill a mockingbird. Others are a bit more on lines of Sgt. York, or Christy.

Then the student does the Jim Stobaugh approach with novel summaries for each book.

2nd semester - speech and communications for English credit.

I don't know if we'll like US1 and 2 or not. :)

-crystal

Yes, now I remember it was the speech/communications section that my dd really didn't want to do. With my dd, she reads "classics" all the time. My two oldest have had a contest going for years to see who could read the most books from the Classical Homeschool Great books list so she is constantly reading - not fluff -but what are considered classics so for her, the novel summaries and book list didn't look like literature but the speech and that BJU textbook were the real breaking point :)

I was sad to let MFW go but it's not like she picked something light to work on instead - she's doing Sonlights Brit Lit course this year and is finishing up her American History by using the "real books" from one of the Beautiful Feet courses.

I have nothing negative to say, but I am wondering what MFW is going to do now that BJU has a new US History text. I'm assuming the one MFW schedules will eventually be discontinued.

As for using BJUs text, that was actually a draw for us. My ds thoroughly enjoys BJUs History texts. Boggles the mind, I know! I truly don't understand the draw. So, for us, that will be a plus. ;)

My hope is that when my ds is in 12th grade that he will also be taking some courses at our local cc. So, I'm personally not overly concerned about the Lit in US2. Im hoping he'll be taking a comp class at the cc instead, but who knows how it will all play out. The plans of mice and men...and all that. :) I may even decide to go a different route for our US History credit and not move on to MFWs US1 and 2. I've got another full year before I need to think about that! Each year has enough worry of its own. lol

The first things about it was that dd didn't want to study only through the Greeks in one year, then spend a whole year on everything else. She said it seemed like too many important events crammed into one year.

Another reason we didn't choose it was because of Notgrass's World History. Dh is a history teacher, and he read through some of it at the convention we attended. I can't remember all of the problems he had with it, and he's out of town. I think he didn't feel that it was well written for a high school level text.

I have nothing negative to say, but I am wondering what MFW is going to do now that BJU has a new US History text. I'm assuming the one MFW schedules will eventually be discontinued.

I asked them that a few days ago....

With the Feb. shipping offer, I bought US1 not knowing about the new edition of BJU and wondered how it would affect me for US2.

Marie plans to support 3rd edition for long enough that those who buy US1 now and get 3rd edition, will still be able to buy US2 and not worry about that stuff. she did something like that a few years ago with a book called Exploring American History (it's in EX1850 and 1850MOD).... So for a transition year's time.. there were page number helps for both editions of the book.

So when 4th edition of BJU comes out they'll scramble and double check stuff and adjust. But anyone in my situation who buy US1 now (or even those using it this year) aren't stuck for US2 having to get new book.

then, I turned around and bought US2 early anyway... I just wanted to have it and preview it and why not? but I didn't 'have" to

-crystal

Another reason we didn't choose it was because of Notgrass's World History. Dh is a history teacher, and he read through some of it at the convention we attended. I can't remember all of the problems he had with it, and he's out of town. I think he didn't feel that it was well written for a high school level text.

I have to say my oldest and I agree with you. That's why we're glad that it is just one piece of the history stuff used in those years. part of the "notgrass" way of doing just notgrass is that the student picks a topic in each unit and does more independent research that week on it...

but we like the way MFW adds other books to read in history - from church history, to the encyclopedia style book readings.

but yeah... my oldest is always saying "really? I want more than this!" She says it's from all of those years of using SOTW.

-crystal

I have to say my oldest and I agree with you. That's why we're glad that it is just one piece of the history stuff used in those years. part of the "notgrass" way of doing just notgrass is that the student picks a topic in each unit and does more independent research that week on it...

but we like the way MFW adds other books to read in history - from church history, to the encyclopedia style book readings.

but yeah... my oldest is always saying "really? I want more than this!" She says it's from all of those years of using SOTW.

-crystal

DD really enjoys Glencoe's World History by Spielvogel if you are interested in a different spine. I had her also start the year reading BJU's world history, but she felt that it was very "preachy" in places that it didn't make sense. She's reading A Beka's text for the Christian world view. Surprisingly, she says it's more of the facts and less preaching than BJU.

I was getting my order ready today and thought of your post. It looks like Crystal's info has moved into action.

Here's what popped up on my screen at the MFW site regarding US1:

The 4th edition of BJU U.S. History will be available soon. To provide the 4th edition materials and updated daily lesson plans, any order including U.S. History to 1877 will not ship until May 2012. If you need U.S. History to 1877 with the 3rd edition of BJU U.S. History, please call our office to order (573-202-2000).

Did they take Notgrass out? I'm having commitment issues!!

No. Notgrass World History is used in AHL and then finished in WHL. Other history books are also added to Notgrass. More Bible is added than Notgrass has. literature is different from notgrass to mfw...or mfw to notgrass. I really need lunch..

Notgrass is just one of the books MFW uses in those years.

BJU is used for US history.

I'm too lazy to look back to see if I already mentioned this....They switch for several reasons (copying this from their message board when one of their staff posted)

There are a number of reasons we chose BJU United States History for US History to 1877 and US History 1877 to Present:

-Exposing students to different types and styles of learning material throughout the high school program. By using both Exploring World History and BJU the student has two different learning experiences. This will help prepare them for a variety of textbooks and professors in college

-The BJU text is very readable and engaging

-The enrichment materials included with BJU US History are very well done and provide a variety of learning opportunities for the students, including comprehension questions and tests

-Colored pictures of key historic art are included

-Good preparation for US History CLEP testing along with REA guides

-crystal

How hard would this be to use instead of the Notgrass? Does anybody have a schedule lining this up?

It's scheduled by unit in Biblioplan, but I still have to assign which sections to read during specific weeks. It hasn't been difficult to line up with BP. I could email you the table of contents.

It's scheduled by unit in Biblioplan, but I still have to assign which sections to read during specific weeks. It hasn't been difficult to line up with BP. I could email you the table of contents.

"It" above is referring to Glencoe World History text.

I am wondering which year of Biblioplan it is scheduled in by unit. I have the newest edition of Ancients and am not finding it.

Thank you.

"It" above is referring to Glencoe World History text.

I am wondering which year of Biblioplan it is scheduled in by unit. I have the newest edition of Ancients and am not finding it.

Thank you.

I bought mine for this current school year and the copyright is 2011, but I did purchase it before last summer. Throughout the Family Guide there are book lists for each section or unit. Just following the lists of books for K-5th, my copy has pages titles "Biblioplan Comprehensive High School Supplement". I have 5 of these pages, one for each unit. There is where the detailed descriptions of the literature choices are listed as well as reading selections for Bible and 3 different spine choices other than Streams.