Menu

private isp vs. personal affidavit-Ca homeschooling options

Can anyone give me some advice on the which homeschooling option to choose? These are the two I'm interested in. I'm mostly concerned with privacy but don't want to go a controversial route that raises red flags. We live in California. Thanks,

We started out with a private ISP but have filed the affidavit for the last 8 years. What specifically do you want to know?

When you file the affidavit, it is collected and stored by a computer. I doubt that anyone pays much attention to it at all. We have had no issues with it.

I would think that filing with someone else, like a private school or a public charter school, would make you more visible because more people would see the form. Also some organizations have rules about work samples, that could potentially cause more notice.

I'm wondering if there is more scrutiny for filing your own affidavit. Is it safer and more likely to remain legal to file under a private isp? Also, is there more privacy ny filing with a private isp.

Thanks,

No one scrutinizes those affidavits. Really.

Any action has to come from a specific county office of education. In order for your affidavit to cause any action, someone in the COE has to take the time to look through the affidavits and decide whether it's worth his time to harrass you, and then he has to try to trump up enough "evidence" for the district attorney to file charges.

Which is not likely. Even before the court decision a few years ago, no district attorney was willing to try to file charges against any homeschoolers (the court case was a special circumstance).

In short, no, it is neither "safer" nor more legal to enroll with a PSP (the preferred term--Private School Satellite Progam--instead of "ISP").

There is more privacy, I guess, if you enroll with a PSP, because the school is filing the affidavit with lots of students as opposed to you filing it with your one or two, but the truth is that most homeschoolers file their own affidavits.

Truthfully, it has always puzzled me that Californians are fearful about filing an affidavit. I filed mine for the first time in 1982. There were two or three counties (out of over 50) that were hostile, but even they were not successful in doing anything except be annoying.:D

When you file the affidavit, it is collected and stored by a computer. I doubt that anyone pays much attention to it at all. We have had no issues with it.

I would think that filing with someone else, like a private school or a public charter school, would make you more visible because more people would see the form. Also some organizations have rules about work samples, that could potentially cause more notice.

When the private school administrator files the affidavit, it only has the number of children enrolled in each grade. There are no names on it, no way for anyone to figure out which children are enrolled.

OTOH, children enrolled in charter schools are public school students, not private school students, and their information is stored somewhere that is more public, but still nothing that *I* would worry about, mainly because they are public school students. not homeschooled.

Do whichever works best for you. Filing the affidavit is easy, but some people want more anonymity, so they choose the PSP route (private school, usually without a physical campus, all home educated students). The affidavit does contain your name and address, but not the names or birth dates of your dc. Enrolling in a PSP eliminates your name going on any form because the PSP files the affidavit and your name and address and your dc's names won't be on that. The PSP will keep records with all your information, but it is not sent to the state or county. Both are legal options that don't raise red flags. We have done both.

Have you considered other things you may need or want? Most PSPs have some requirements you must meet. Most allow you to use whatever curriculum you choose, but some may require attendance at regular meetings, or monthly paperwork to be turned in, or require a report card, and other reports. A PSP keeps all your records for you. If you want accountability, a PSP can provide that. If you prefer to do it yourself and keep your own records, and not have any additional requirements (beyond what the state requires), then you may want to file an affidavit. PSPs often offer classes, field trips, and support. Is that something you are looking for? Those may not be things you need, but if you do, then a PSP may be worth checking into. There are many PSPs, so you can find one that fits your family's needs and desires.

Really, both the PSP and affidavit are good options. It all depends on what you want to do.

When you file with a PSP, as they are now called, students names are not listed on the paper. I'm not sure what happens if you file your own affidavit.

A private school affidavit is the same for all schools, regardless of size. A PSP files the same affidavit as the Christian school down the street, a single family files the same affidavit as the PSP or the Christian school down the street. No children's names are ever included on any affidavit. The only difference is the number of students in each grade. A private school with only two dc is pretty obviously a homeschool. That's what usually weirds people out.

We started out going through a charter school ("home study program"), then for the last two years we've filed a private school affidavit. It is an easy process, and contains very little personal information. I know people who have been doing it for 12+ years with never an issue, so I don't worry about any scrutiny or anything like that.