Menu

Tell me about Mango

oraetstudia

I think it does make a good introduction. It is also a great way to get the ear used to hearing a new language. Our library used to have Rosetta Stone and now it has Mango. We have used both extensively. Honestly, I find them to be the same in terms of how well they work.

If you are tempted by Rosetta Stone, Mango makes a perfectly good substitute. If you can't stand the idea of Rosetta Stone, I think Mango wouldn't work for you. At least that is my guess.

I happen to know that Mango has a commitment to being available in libraries. My husband is a librarian and Mango is always at the conferences etc. They know him now because he always chats them up. BTW, he is an academic librarian not a public or school librarian so he isn't in charge of purchasing Mango. He talks to them as a homeschooling dad. They told him that they are working on a Latin version and hope to have it out soon. Now what 'soon' is, I don't know.

My kids LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it......and you can't beat the price:D

One kid is doing the French program and she is developing a nice accent:D, one is using the Italian and one is focusing lately on Pirate....ok, He is only 8 and thinks it is hysterical!

Lol, I admit to using Pirate as a reward on the occasional bad day.

My kids are using the German Mango Languages through our library, and my little one loves Little Pim. I also found the Muzzy DVD's at the library in German.

I have also tried Pimsleur from our library, though that may be better for an older child or adult.

My youngest regularly speaks German to me as occasions arise, so it seems like Muzzy and Little Pim work to some extent, at least to get the kids started in a language.

:bigear: Our public library does not have this to try out, but it sounds interesting. What would those of you who use it suggest as a good language to try, and is there any source for good prices, or good return policies etc.?

:bigear: Our public library does not have this to try out, but it sounds interesting. What would those of you who use it suggest as a good language to try, and is there any source for good prices, or good return policies etc.?

Just a thought--it might be cheaper to buy access to an adjacent county/town library that does have access than to buy Mango. Both my county library and the nearest county system to us carry it for free home use and it is cheaper to buy a library card at either one than to buy Mango.