Menu

You Know It's A Migraine When...

Copied from my blog

Had the migraine from Hell yesterday. They're so much worse and more frequent since RSD.

While I was waiting for death, I had a list run through my head of how to tell you're having a migraine, so I thought I'd post what I remember of it here. Please keep in mind that this list seemed perfectly, totally rational at the time...

1. Bizzare thoughts seem perfectly rational.
  2. When the pain starts, you're afraid you're going to die.
  3. As it builds, you hope you're going to die.
  4. As it builds more, you *know* you're going to die, and are grateful.
  5. At it's peak, you're afraid you WON'T die, but live like this forever.
  6. You consider shooting yourself in the head, despite not owning a gun, or knowing anyone that does. The only thing that really stops you is the thought that the sound of the shot might reach you before the bullet does.
  7. You discard drilling a hole in your skull to release pressure b/c you don't want the noise of the drill that close to you.
  8. It occurs to you that if you sneeze, you'll either go off the charts for pain, or your head will simply explode. You're not sure if you should hope to sneeze or not.
  9. Wearing sunglasses to help w/photosensitivity doesn't work, b/c the pressure of the glasses on your nose makes you feel like you're being stabbed w/a dinner fork or that your nose is breaking.
  10. You hear someone chanting, "Kill me...kill me...kill me" and realize it's you.
  11. You hurt from your upper jaw all the way up your face.
  12. Breathing through your nose hurts.
  13. The sound of your own breathing is like a jet engine in bed beside you.
  14. It feels like your thoughts are being etched on the inside of your skull.
  15. You're not sure where to grab...your eyes, top of your head, back of your skull...it all hurts so much.
  16. You find yourself waiting for a popping sound...of your neck breaking, b/c it feels like there are weights piled on top of your skull, and sooner or later your neck is going to give out.
  17. You feel something trickle down your cheek...you're not sure if it's a tear, or your eyeball leaking, so you're afraid to wipe it away...then it occurs to you that if it is your eyeball leaking, it would release some pressure, and that would be good.
  18. You're afraid to cry, b/c the tears hitting the pillow would sound like a nail gun.

Don't forget that your family seems to have turned into a herd of elephants.

That maybe if I shave my head bald there won't be so much weight on it. But then you realize the shaver will kill your ears and then thinking you have to move and be in light takes that thought away.

That the beat of your heart is so loud and the pounding in your head you keep thinking of new ways to stop both.

During a migrane your list sounds perfectly rational to me.

Sounds about right to me. Every time I have a migraine, I tell my husband the pain has never been as bad as it is this time. I tell him I am going to die and he should take me to the hospital. Then, I moan that I would like to die.

When the worst is over, I feel like I have been hit by a bus. That feeling lasts for days and days.

I went to the ER before, b/c the way the migraine presented, it had the warning signs of an aneurysm (sp). :001_huh:

Pain meds, scan, and 2 attempted spinal taps later, I left AMA. They wanted me to hang around til radiology came in to do a contrast spinal tap.

Since I'm still alive, it wasn't an aneurysm.

Copied from my blog

Had the migraine from Hell yesterday. They're so much worse and more frequent since RSD.

While I was waiting for death, I had a list run through my head of how to tell you're having a migraine, so I thought I'd post what I remember of it here. Please keep in mind that this list seemed perfectly, totally rational at the time...

1. Bizzare thoughts seem perfectly rational.

2. When the pain starts, you're afraid you're going to die.

3. As it builds, you hope you're going to die.

4. As it builds more, you *know* you're going to die, and are grateful.

5. At it's peak, you're afraid you WON'T die, but live like this forever.

6. You consider shooting yourself in the head, despite not owning a gun, or knowing anyone that does. The only thing that really stops you is the thought that the sound of the shot might reach you before the bullet does.

7. You discard drilling a hole in your skull to release pressure b/c you don't want the noise of the drill that close to you.

8. It occurs to you that if you sneeze, you'll either go off the charts for pain, or your head will simply explode. You're not sure if you should hope to sneeze or not.

9. Wearing sunglasses to help w/photosensitivity doesn't work, b/c the pressure of the glasses on your nose makes you feel like you're being stabbed w/a dinner fork or that your nose is breaking.

10. You hear someone chanting, "Kill me...kill me...kill me" and realize it's you.

11. You hurt from your upper jaw all the way up your face.

12. Breathing through your nose hurts.

13. The sound of your own breathing is like a jet engine in bed beside you.

14. It feels like your thoughts are being etched on the inside of your skull.

15. You're not sure where to grab...your eyes, top of your head, back of your skull...it all hurts so much.

16. You find yourself waiting for a popping sound...of your neck breaking, b/c it feels like there are weights piled on top of your skull, and sooner or later your neck is going to give out.

17. You feel something trickle down your cheek...you're not sure if it's a tear, or your eyeball leaking, so you're afraid to wipe it away...then it occurs to you that if it is your eyeball leaking, it would release some pressure, and that would be good.

18. You're afraid to cry, b/c the tears hitting the pillow would sound like a nail gun.

I've never had a migraine, but I am sorry you're suffering so. :grouphug:

I so agree with the list! MISERY!!

I would add: If you have to crawl to get to the bathroom

As you're throwing up all you can wish is that your head will actually explode

When I have a migraine I always tell my hubby that I'll take natural labor over this any any day.

And the days following the migraine I call them my hangover days because I am utterly miserable and cranky. I would give anything to find a way to never have one again!

Sorry you had such a bad migraine! :grouphug:

You want to kill your husband for making too much noise. - He's laying next to you in bed. breathing. :glare: (NOT snoring.)

you imagine what it would be like to float weightless, on a cloud, and realize that still won't take the pressure off your head.

wrapping the back of your neck in crushed ice sounds good.