Menu

Really scared to go out on my own

heidip2p

We have been hs'ing for 6 years and I have always used some sort of "boxed" curriculum. This fall I had planned to piece my own things together. Not like some of you amazing moms do from scratch. Just using this for science and that for geography and what not. Then after a few weeks I chickened out. I went back to a boxed. curr. These never end up getting done as we never really like what's pulled together for us. Is anyone else totally terrified of pulling their own resources together? How can I get ove r this? I really think I know our family well enough to know what will work. I am just so afraid to make that leap. I am so afraid I am going to leave something out or totally mess something up.

Here is what I am thinking about doing.

We have kids who are in grades 8, 6, 4, 2, K for this coming fall. Also a 3 and 1 year old.

Math-MUS/MM or CLE depends on the kiddo

History- SOTW 1 with AG/MOH 1 with a few of their extras

Science- Apologia 2 days a week and Elemental Science 2 days

Foreign Language- GSWS

Bible-BSGFAA

LA- GWG, WWW and SWS---not totally sure on this

Handwriting--Getty Dubay

Vocab-EFTRU--flashcards only

Geography-finish using Expedition Earth and begin Road Trip USA

Art/Music--pulled from our history/science/monthly themes/unit studies

Phonics- CLE LTR for those who need it

Reading--focus on the classics as well as using AO recs

Kindergarten--not totally sure but leaning towards FIAR

Typing-Typing Tutor

Various Lapbooks--each family member takes turns picking a lapbook...This way we have lots of variety as everybody likes different things

So do you think this looks ok? Any major things missing? I really want to try this but I am such a chicken. I know it might not seem like a huge deal but knowing all 7 are counting on me makes me worry that I can't do it.

Edited by heidip2p

I think it looks good. The only thing I wonder is what you would use the unit studies for? Most unit studies cover a broad range of subjects and would likely be overkill in addition to what you are doing. When we first started piecing our own things together I started with unit studies. Learning Adventures was a great one to give me a good idea on how to wrap everything together. I also use a book called The Checklist by Cindy Downes. This simply gives me a huge list of all skill and content for each area so I can always pull from there. Now I don't have as much time so we no longer do unit studies (although we miss them) but we do use our own resources for each subject based on what each student needs and what works best with them. Don't overwhelm yourself and it will be fine.

You are right about the unit studies. I was thinking along the lines of lapbooks. Just a little extra to add in to keep things fresh. For example, one of our kids is obesessed with Macaws. I think it would be fun for the family to all learn about something that is important to someone else. It could even spark something in them they didn't know was there.

I think the thing that scares me the most is not having a grid to follow each week. I love the MFW grid that we have followed for so long.

Edited by heidip2p

I never bought a box of books (I don't consider things like KONOS to be "boxed"). I never found a single publisher I liked for all subjects--too schooly for me--and CLASS or any other distance-learning school never appealed to me.

I don't consider myself to be "amazing." :tongue_smilie:

I have no doubt that you can do your own thing. :)

I think your list looks pretty good. As for going off the grid :D just make your own. I've always bought a piece here and a piece there, but I've found in the last several years that I need grids. I need things to check off. There are lots of options for helping you do this from sites Donna Young's to programs like Homeschool Tracker. I just make my detailed plans every 9 weeks in Word. That way I can move things around when we invariably don't get to it all (or once in a while get ahead). Then I print a copy for me, a copy for the child and we are set to go.

Looks like a good plan to me, but it also looks like a lot. Just remember that it's hard to get everything done every day. At least in my opinion it is, whether things are pieced together or you are doing a boxed curriculum. I'd start off slow and not expect to jump into everything at once. Limit times on some of the subjects to give you more time for the science and history. You'll get in a groove soon enough. I hope you enjoy your new curricula:)

Alison

I prefer to piece our curriculum together because I think it has the potential of providing a much better and personalized education for the kids. I have never found a box in which I liked every program or which had the appropriate level of instruction in all the subjects for all of my kids. It is a lot more work, however, so you have to consider that aspect, especially when you need to plan for many children.

Like you, I am concerned about missing something or my kids having gaps. There are a few things I do to address that.

First, I use The Core Knowledge K-8 Sequence to help me plan my curriculum You can download it for free here. It is a scope and sequence that lists goals for each subject by grade. I go over it in the spring/summer to help me choose programs for the next year and decide what my goals are for each subject. I also go over it again about 1-2 months before the end of the school year to check off what we have accomplished and see if there are things that need extra practice. I also review the Standards of Learning for my state to see if there is anything else there that I need to add.

Second, I give my kids a standardized test every spring. This is required by law in my state, but I would do it regardless. I want to have an independent evaluation of my kids to try to tell if there are any glaring gaps in their knowledge base (besides the fact that I want them to have practice taking standardized tests.)

Third, I often talk to dh about our curriculum to see if he thinks we need to add anything and read on this forum to get new ideas. I adjust our program a little bit throughout the year if there are weak areas.

I think that if you do something like this, you will have a very solid program, and you will be more confident to piece it together on your own.

You can do it, Heidi! You are such a good mom! (And just so you know, many of the gals from our church are ecclectic, as well. ;))

Thanks, Monica :) I actually decided to stick with MFW for now. I am now changing my name to Mrs. Waffle. lol I am just going to allow myself the freedom to add things in where needed. I am actually really excited to get back at it Monday so that is a good sign. :)

I could be misreading you, but it sounds like you have a "boxed" curriculum you really like, but feel like you should be able to branch out and do you own thing. While I'm sure you could do a pieced together plan, why mess with what works well for you?

Boxed curriculum is only a problem when it isn't working well. It's a blessing to find one that is a perfect fit.

I could be misreading you, but it sounds like you have a "boxed" curriculum you really like, but feel like you should be able to branch out and do you own thing. While I'm sure you could do a pieced together plan, why mess with what works well for you?

Boxed curriculum is only a problem when it isn't working well. It's a blessing to find one that is a perfect fit.

You are exactly right. The light clicked for me last night. It's ok if I have to add in extras here and there. I always felt like if I paid for the program I needed to use each part. While I will probably use all parts I am going to add in some bible, science and geography that I think looks really neat. You are right though, finding a curriculum that works is an incredible blessing. :)