Menu

Tax Refund!!

Do you know what this means at my house? I get a new floor!!!

We have been without one on over half our house since our 1-story flooded (backed up toilet) 2 weeks before Christmas. I know it isn't that long but the echo on my sound sensitive kids' and my ears is insanity inducing.

My dh and I debated long and hard about carpet v.s. laminate v.s. hardwood. The last 2 are easier to keep clean but LOUD even with acoustical underlayment, not to mention the very expensive installation and materials cost.

We had a family vote. The winner? Thick carpet with a superdeduper pad underneath. My 4th son came with me and tested some out. His criteria? It had to be thick and soft under his head when he lays on it to play Hot Wheels and not 'get yucky' easily. He is quite proud he helped pick it out.

SIGH! Now to choose a color, set a date for install, shell out that tax refund, and enjoy the silence.

:D

:D

Edited by Guest

Those are the areas we are doing, too. Plus all 3 kids' rooms and a small room we use for school.

I am still waffling about it, though. Laminate is so easy to keep clean. Think quiet, think quiet.

Those are the areas we are doing, too. Plus all 3 kids' rooms and a small room we use for school.

I am still waffling about it, though. Laminate is so easy to keep clean. Think quiet, think quiet.

I actually think carpet is easier to keep clean. I have never understood people's idea that hard floors are so much easier to keep clean. I think that they are often gritty and hairy. Yes, WHEN they are clean it is nice but 10 minutes later, they could use sweeping again. I like a brown (coffe and dirt) colored carpet. I had that in my last house and it was wonderful and pretty. I will get that again soon.

We WERE going to do laminate. THEN my mother and my sister and her dh told us that laminate flooring CAN buckle if you keep a steam mop on the area too long, happen to get liquid spilled near a seam. So we were not about to walk into that unknown disaster. :001_huh: Bedrooms will come next tax return. As we had some other needs and wants to tack onto our tax refund bill :p