Menu

Looking for a Math program - 1st & 3rd...

honeymommy4

I am maybe looking for a new math program for my boys who will be in 1st & 3rd levels next year...

We have Math Mammoth and I love that I can print it at home, sheet by sheet.

but I am not crazy about the layout of the work. Many times they have running problems that are all related. It is supposed to teach the child the relationship between the numbers, but DS is smart. He figures out the pattern and writes it in quickly, sometimes going down the columns, not even writing the whole numbers at a time.

I'm not sure if this is helping him learn or not. he got through the worksheets in level 1 to move on to level 2 but is still learning math facts and we have not been able to progress through to learn double-digit addition because he was still stuck on the facts. So we will either be doing LOTS of math this summer or starting over again at level 2 next year... :confused:

We tried Ray's Arithmetic but I think he is more visual or kinesthetic...

any ideas? THANKS!

There are a lot of websites that offer free printable or online math worksheets. You might consider sticking with the lessons from MM if you really like it and supplementing with worksheets from elsewhere or online drills to challenge your DS. You could also use flashcards to challenge him. I would guess that once the initial math facts are learned, the MM worksheets will become more challenging as well.

I am maybe looking for a new math program for my boys who will be in 1st & 3rd levels next year...

We have Math Mammoth and I love that I can print it at home, sheet by sheet.

but I am not crazy about the layout of the work. Many times they have running problems that are all related. It is supposed to teach the child the relationship between the numbers, but DS is smart. He figures out the pattern and writes it in quickly, sometimes going down the columns, not even writing the whole numbers at a time.

I had exactly the same problem with my dd (then 7 or 8) when we used MM.

Edited by JaneP

We've used Math Mammoth, Right Start, and Saxon. I always thought of Math Mammoth as a supplement more than a stand alone--at least for us.

I really like RightStart as a math foundation and the kids enjoy it. It's the abacus program--lots of games as well. Not as much writing--so MathMammoth fits well.

DS1 and DS2 are also using Saxon Math in school. They seem a little bored by it, but it does seem to be well thought out. It's a spiral program--so there are plenty of opportunities to go back and revisit things. I don't see the easy patterns in the fact practice sheets I see with MM.

So many people I know love Singapore. Just be forewarned that you should take the placement test before buying a level. Sometimes people start off a little behind, but quickly catch up.

Christian Light Education Math. Be sure your older one takes the free placement test. Self teaching at 300 level, clips along nicely. We have done levels 300-500.

This has been a great math for my second son, but not so much for my oldest as he learns differently.

http://clp.org/store/by_subject/4

My younger two love Rod and Staff Math. Short lessons, lots of it at the board, 2 page per lesson for workbook. Nice and incremental. Use the 2nd edition for Grade 1. No other books are planned to be updated. Old fashioned sequence (no algebra at 1st grade, etc.) It makes sense. I would skip the Blacklines but buy the drill pad (do NOT time at 1st grade), and 1st grade flash card set. For 3rd, the child can still write in the textbook. I would buy the multiplication flashcards and speed drill pad (once again do NOT time). We used/are using 1st and 3rd. I wish I had stuck it out with my oldest son.

http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Mathematics_for_Christian_Living_Series/

Neither of these will break your bank.

Edited by Guest

I'm feeling the same way for my ds who has always been mathy. This just doesn't cycle at all and has too many problems. I think my dd has really grown strong in math with MM, but for my boy it has been a bit counterproductive... Right now I'm adding in TT because he is an audio learner, loves computer work, and it cycles through faster. Next year I may need to try something different.

Edited by warneral

Christian Light Education Math. Be sure your older one takes the free placement test. Self teaching at 300 level, clips along nicely. We have done levels 300-500.

This has been a great math for my second son, but not so much for my oldest as he learns differently.

http://clp.org/store/by_subject/4

My younger two love Rod and Staff Math. Short lessons, lots of it at the board, 2 page per lesson for workbook. Nice and incremental. Use the 2nd edition for Grade 1. No other books are planned to be updated. Old fashioned sequence (no algebra at 1st grade, etc.) It makes sense. I would skip the Blacklines but buy the drill pad (do NOT time at 1st grade), and 1st grade flash card set. For 3rd, the child can still write in the textbook. I would buy the multiplication flashcards and speed drill pad (once again do NOT time). We used/are using 1st and 3rd. I wish I had stuck it out with my oldest son.

http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Mathematics_for_Christian_Living_Series/

Neither of these will break your bank.

:iagree: