Menu

Galloping the Globe ?'s...

Aloha2U

I'm looking at purchasing Galloping the Globe to do with my one and only ds for K. For those of you who have used GtG, what do you recommend as must have books at home, in conjunction with the library?

Also, it looks like GtG requires Considering God's Creation (science)...however, it seems that those who use Considering God's Creation are actually implementing it at an older age/grade level...did you use this w/GtG? Did you use CGC just for GtG or did you already plan on using CGC as your science curriculum?

Please help me clarify... and share your experiences with GtG. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Melissa

Considering God's creation is for upper elementary. I'm about to start GTG with my k. I got the Geography songs and Wee Bee tunes and Missionary stories with the millers and Geography through art ( although this seems like it might be kind of old) I also got the Rod and staff second grade social studies that they reference. I actually have 2 copies of that so if you would like to purchase that you can. That is all I can think of right now. I'm using GTG in conjunction with other programs so I don't want it to be too intense. I will be checking a lot of books out at the library. HTH

We are doing a geography study with a young 1st grader. Draw Write Now has two books with Ecological information and animals along with "how to draw" continent maps. I am using these as my spine, along with an atlas. I decided against Galloping the Globe. I have had "A trip around the world" and "another trip around the world" recommended to me as preferable. There are some easy reader books... "Look what came from (country)" and "Count Your Way Through (country)" that I plan on getting from the library for almost every country we study. Sonlight has some Core K books that have to do with culture and animals that I ordered as well. HTH

GTG with my k. I got the Geography songs and Wee Bee tunes and Missionary stories with the millers

Children Like Me would be an excellent book to have on hand, we've collected some titles for GtG through the last year but you could get the other titles from the library. We have a laminated wall map that we'll use to show our trip around the world when we do this in K/4th grade. We also have Highlights Top Secret Adventures books we have only the books that I've collected from thrift stores and used book resources but you could get them from the library.

I don't have my copy of GtG available right now, so I can't remember if there are recipes for each place, if not you may consider getting a cookbook for world recipes.

Hth!

I used GTG a couple of years ago when my son was kindergarten age. We really enjoyed the program and I'm hoping to "gallop" to a few countries this summer if we have time with my soon to be 1st and 3rd graders. That being said, I did not feel that most of the recommended resources were necessary or worth purchasing. We did really enjoy the book "Children Just Like Me". I know there is a newer version of GTG out now and I hear there is a cookbook to go with the program. I would definitely get that.

We did not use Considering God's Creation because it was too much for the ages of my kids at the time. I'm holding onto it for the future, though because I think they will really enjoy this soon.

Basically, I hit the library each week and pulled as many of the recommended literature and nonfiction recommendations listed in GTG that I could find. I also looked for movies. There is a wonderful series called "Families from Australia or ________ or whatever the country was". I did a worksheet or two with them from the GTG book and then we did some craft or cooking project. For Japan, I made a Japanese dish and we sat on cushions in our bathrobes around a low coffee table. We ate with chopsticks and bowed to each other. My kids still remember this and beg to do it again. It was a lot of fun.

Lisa

Lisa

We used GTG when dc were in K and pre-3, and everyone absolutely loved it! CGC is not required at all, we didn't have it. We were able to get nearly all the books on the lists through our city and county libraries. The cooking activities are some of our fondest memories (the apple pie recipe at the end of "How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World" is excellent!).

I can't reccommend any books as necessary, but I think it's called "Children of the World" that's listed in nearly every country's booklist - That would have been nice to have owned. And I wish we also would have pinned our country of study on a wall map, maybe with cut out pictures around it or something.

Anyway, it's a great, easily implemented, and really fun program. We're looking forward to implementing Cantering the Country when we study US history via SOTW 4 in a couple years.

I am teaching GTG in a co-op this year (2 different classes of it...it's SO popular!) and at home. I have Children Just Like Me, which shows the children from different coutnryes and their native dress, families, and some cultural pictures with short explanations. I also have Missionary Stories from the Miller's ( or is it With the Miller's?). It is a Christian Co-op, so I felt that was important. And I have the corresponding book Cook Your Way around the World. (Food is always popular AND a great time filler!)

I am teaching this at home too, so I'm probably going to get Considering God's Creation. My co-op is grades k-4, which is a BIG gap, and I might have them split the kids by age next time. But What I"m planning is having them color/draw/work a puzzle while I read to them.

I'm hoping to do Cantering the Country in the co-op next year, if this works out ok.

I am using GTG with my Ker this Fall and have chosen to skip Considering God's Creation. I looked at CGC at a convention and felt it was more than we needed right now. It did look like a great program, something I would love to do with her in an older grade in full, not just using bits and pieces during her K year.

I did pick up several of Sonlight's and Winterpromise's recommended science books on the 4 for 3 amazon.com sale. I hope to read the books during the year as interest and time allows even though they don't really follow our "theme."

I bought Children Just Like Me, a child's atlas, a blow up globe, Missionary Stories with the Millers, and Geography from A to Z. We already own Stories from Around the World, which is referenced in several countries. The rest of our material will come from the library.

We did a lite version of GtG this year. We used and loved Children Like Me, the Geography Songs, and a big world map.

Everything else (DVDs, literature, history readings, native animal information, etc.) came from the library.

This was us too. Our library is pretty good, and we were able to choose from many simple non-fiction books for each country. We also requested a bunch of fiction books each week and read at least one or two. If you like the idea of Five in a Row, we did well combining FIAR with GTG. We own all three FIAR "lesson" books and chose a coordinating FIAR book to study along with each country (e.g., The Story of Ping to go with China, Another Celebrated Dancing Bear to go with Russia). We are secular, so we didn't use the religious materials. I found Children Like Me, our United Streaming subscription, and Netflix to be very useful--everything else we got from the library.

One cute idea: We bought little pretend passports from AC Moore and then each time we started a new country, I'd print off small pictures of the country's flag to place in the passports.

WHAT a great idea! I wish I'd thought of that. We still have some countries left. Maybe I'll still do it. Thanks!

When I was planning on doing GTG for K, I liked the look of the resource package on the Geomatters website. You can get it with or without CGC. It came with a lot of the books that others are recommending. I may still buy that just to have those great books...

Linda,

What a great idea with the passports! I'll definitely have to use that with my K'er next year. We're going to be doing geography extras with Sonlight and I think that cement the idea of "travelling the globe."

One cute idea: We bought little pretend passports from AC Moore and then each time we started a new country, I'd print off small pictures of the country's flag to place in the passports.

I've never been to an AC Moore site...can you provide a link for the passports you mention?

Thank you,

Melissa

• 2 weeks later...
I don't have my copy of GtG available right now, so I can't remember if there are recipes for each place, if not you may consider getting a cookbook for world recipes.

Usborne has an absolutely fantastic children's cookbook that would go really well with this called "The Usborne Children's World Cookbook" - http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Internet-Linked-Childrens-World-Cookbook/dp/0794500986/ref=ed_oe_p

-Adriana