Menu

PA Homeschoolers AP US History...thoughts?

I am considering having my oldest take this course next year in lieu of TOG Y2. He eats and breathes US History, and would enjoy it, I'm sure. I am thinking that getting some of the more impressive looking (but easier for him) classes out of the way will free him up to spend more time on the upper-level maths and sciences in 11th and 12th, which are more difficult for him. This child has aspirations for the US Naval Academy.

Thoughts? For those of you whose children took the PA Homeschoolers class, did it prepare them well for the AP?

Thanks!

I would be cautious about an AP class for a ninth grader (though of course kids differ). Many local high schools here have the kids do a full year of US History in early high school, with AP US H taken a year or two later.

What is your son's background in US History? Does he have a good enough foundation to be ready for an AP class?

Well, he would take the AP course next year (10th), and the exam at the end of the year. He has a very solid History background and reads historical fiction and biographies voraciously. He also watches TTC history lectures for fun. What do you think?

In our area AP US History is a class for 11th graders, and it is one that is typically quite challenging.

One thing to consider is that if a test is typically taken by older high schoolers, then they will have had 1-2 more years practice at writing essays. So the expectations for a high grade will be just a little bit higher than if it was a class frequently taken by 9th graders.

You might have him take a practice test and/or look at an exam prep book. Does he think the body of knowledge is more than he can master.

I would be wary unless your child is an excellent writer and has good critical thinking skills. My oldest took it last year. He loved the course. The workload was pretty intense. They do an excellent job with giving the necessary feedback to grow in their skills, both in writing and in analytical thinking. Ds received a high B and got a 4 on the exam. He loves to read about history, but we hadn't done a full US history course. He had to work his tail off for that class, more so than in his college classes.

Excellent food for thought, ladies. Thank you. It's the essay writing that he's had he least experience with. Excellent idea about checking into the practice tests, as well. He's really gung-ho to do it, but I want him to have the best possible chance to succeed.

Thanks again. Keep the thoughts coming!

At the public high school the only AP class a freshman can take is AP US History (unless they've tested outed of classes or are going to graduate early). This is a newer thing because when ds17 was a freshman he couldnt take AP classes.

That being said if your ds is motivated to take this class I would definitely let him. You always have the summer to prepare for the essay writing and/or any other areas that need improving.

At the public high school the only AP class a freshman can take is AP US History (unless they've tested outed of classes or are going to graduate early). This is a newer thing because when ds17 was a freshman he couldnt take AP classes.

That being said if your ds is motivated to take this class I would definitely let him. You always have the summer to prepare for the essay writing and/or any other areas that need improving.

Interesting. At our local high school, only juniors and seniors can take it, unless they have special permission to take it as a sophomore. The first AP allowed around here is Human Geography.

Interesting. At our local high school, only juniors and seniors can take it, unless they have special permission to take it as a sophomore. The first AP allowed around here is Human Geography.

Same here, except that at our local high school it's only juniors who take U.S. History (either regular or AP). This pdf from the College Board website shows how many kids in each grade took the AP exam in 2011. For APUSH, over 335,000 juniors took the exam, compared with 39,000 sophomores and 17,700 seniors (with a handful of freshmen). I had the same impression -- critical reading, thinking, and writing skills would be a must for APUSH, no matter how much a student loves history.

... which is why my son will do USH at home with me next year :001_smile:. He'll do AP Chem and English Language, though -- we figured that was enough!