Menu

ITBS First Grade Test (Help)

What type of math is on the first grade test. The curruiculum I chose moves at a very slow pace and now I need to get ready for the exam. I am afraid if I don't do any prep work he will not be ready. Can someone give me an idea of what to expect for math and language arts. ( Will there be any writing?)

I am really concered about math though what type of addition and subtraction facts is there borrowing and carrying etc.

Thanks!

First, I will tell you how I view yearly testing: a necessary evil. :D I don't dread it, put much stock in it, or prep for it. I already know what they need to work on, so basically it's just fulfilling our state's requirement.

Now, a few questions for you. Are you required to test in 1st grade? I've never tested a 1st grader, but if I did, I don't think I'd use the ITBS. It's a pretty long test. I'd probably go with something easier to administer, like the CAT or Woodcock Johnson. Is there a reason you chose the ITBS? Are you administering the test yourself?

Please don't stress. There won't be any writing on the ITBS. It's a standard fill-in-the-circle test. There will be things he knows and things he doesn't know. That's a given. People are not allowed to tell you what's on the test. I'm not sure, but there *might* be a practice test you can do. Honestly, though, I hope you won't even go there. Really. Just let him do his best, send it in, and move on.

:grouphug: It will be fine.

Below 3rd grade, much of the ITBS is done orally. The proctor reads the question, and the child chooses from 4 small pictures to find the correct answer.

We don't start annual ITBS testing at our house until 3rd grade. We use this series as test prep.

http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Test-Practice-Grade-1/dp/1577687213/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1329934157&sr=8-5

Please don't stress out about it, MAINLY for your child's sake . . . and for the future tests that are in the future. Maybe have a special treat after each day's testing. We spread it out over (at least) a week.

I doubt that there is any carrying/borrowing on the first grade test. That is a second grade concept according to most curriculum. If I am remembering correctly the second grade ITBS only has adding/subtracting with regrouping to the tens digit.

I use Scoring High on the ITBS to get an idea of what is on the test.

First, I will tell you how I view yearly testing: a necessary evil. :D I don't dread it, put much stock in it, or prep for it. I already know what they need to work on, so basically it's just fulfilling our state's requirement.

Now, a few questions for you. Are you required to test in 1st grade? I've never tested a 1st grader, but if I did, I don't think I'd use the ITBS. It's a pretty long test. I'd probably go with something easier to administer, like the CAT or Woodcock Johnson. Is there a reason you chose the ITBS? Are you administering the test yourself?

Please don't stress. There won't be any writing on the ITBS. It's a standard fill-in-the-circle test. There will be things he knows and things he doesn't know. That's a given. People are not allowed to tell you what's on the test. I'm not sure, but there *might* be a practice test you can do. Honestly, though, I hope you won't even go there. Really. Just let him do his best, send it in, and move on.

:grouphug: It will be fine.

My husband only agreed to homeschool if we used a standardized test yearly. I administered exam to son last year but was thinking of allowing him to take the test with someone else. (Not sure that I will do that as I feel that he will stay on task better with me.) So last year Kindergarten we had to do an exam which was awful. My poor son was miserable but I have to do it. I chose ITBS because it was one of the better known exams. Last year I did not prep, and ds did a great job. This year though hubby says he would like to see me do some prep so I looked through some books from The Critical Thinking Company which say they help get children prepare for standardized exams. I was shocked when I looked at the information covered in first grade and so now I feel scared and panicky. So I ordered some of the material a math and language arts book $60 which is quite expensive. (what a waste) But now I have several months to cover material that I did not think I would need to cover this year. Oh dear, I am trying to be calm but I am stressing out.

:iagree: Don't stress yourself or your student over the test. Learn to fill in the bubbles and give it your best shot.

If testing is mandatory for you, B&N has test prep books or you can purchase them on-line. There is a series, Scoring High On The ITBS if you need test prep, but it's not necessary for most students. I can post a link if anyone needs it.

My husband only agreed to homeschool if we used a standardized test yearly. I administered exam to son last year but was thinking of allowing him to take the test with someone else. (Not sure that I will do that as I feel that he will stay on task better with me.) So last year Kindergarten we had to do an exam which was awful. My poor son was miserable but I have to do it. I chose ITBS because it was one of the better known exams. Last year I did not prep, and ds did a great job. This year though hubby says he would like to see me do some prep so I looked through some books from The Critical Thinking Company which say they help get children prepare for standardized exams. I was shocked when I looked at the information covered in first grade and so now I feel scared and panicky. So I ordered some of the material a math and language arts book $60 which is quite expensive. (what a waste) But now I have several months to cover material that I did not think I would need to cover this year. Oh dear, I am trying to be calm but I am stressing out.

Oh wow, that's a whole different issue then. Is there any way you can sit down with your husband and explain how stressed this is making you and your son?