Menu

Happy Fat Tuesday!!

How in the world did Shrove Tuesday sneak up on me?

I suppose it was because dh was off yesterday. Now I'm a day behind. Sheesh!

Off to make king cake and get ready for Lent tomorrow.

*Mutters to self, "Now where did I put that Greek Orthodox cook book?"*

Happy day to all!

Traditional Shrove Tuesday pancakes for us today -- without the attendant races. :tongue_smilie: I wish I had a good King Cake recipe.

King Cake Recipe

For the Brioche:

1 Envelope Active Dry Yeast

2 Tbsp Warm Water (115 degree F)

1 tsp Iodized Salt

2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar

1/4 Cup Milk

2 tsp Orange Zest, minced

2 Cups All Purpose Flour, sifted

1 tsp Cinnamon

2 Eggs, beaten

1 1/4 sticks cold Unsalted Butter, cut into very small dice

1 Egg beaten and 2 Tbsp water, for the eggwash

1 plastic baby trinket

Dissolve the yeast in the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, let stand until frothy.

Dissolve the salt, sugar, orange zest and milk in a small bowl. When dissolved combine the milk mixture with the yeast mixture. Mix the cinnamon with the flour.

With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, then gradually add the flour, until all is incorporated. Knead on low speed for 10 minutes, or until a smooth elastic dough is formed. A little more flour may be necessary. With the motor running, incorporate the butter into the dough, a little at a time but rather quickly so that it doesn’t heat up and melt.

Turn the dough into an oiled bowl, loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour in a warm spot.

When the dough has doubled in bulk punch it down, cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Roll the dough out to a 6 x 18 inch rectangle. Spead the Pecan filling (recipe below) out in the middle of the rectangle along the whole length, leaving about 1 1/2 inch on each side. Place the baby trinket somewhere with the filling. Fold the length of the dough over the filling and roll up tightly, leaving the seam side down. Turn the roll into a circle, seam side down and put one end inside of the other to hide the seam, and seal the circle. Place the cake on a baking sheet and let rise, loosely covered with plastic wrap, for 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.

Brush all over with the egg wash, then place the king cake into the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

When the cake cools, brush with some of the glaze (recipe below) thinned out with more cold water. This will help the sugars adhere. Decorate the cake with the colored sugars and drizzle some of the thicker glaze onto the cake.

Place on a large round serving plate and decorate with Mardi Gras beads, doubloons and whatever else that you like.

For the Pecan filling:

1 Cup Pecan halves, broken up slightly and roasted until fragrant

2/3 Cup Brown Sugar

1 tsp Vanilla extract

1 tsp Cinnamon

1/2 tsp Ground Allspice

1 pinch of salt

4 Tbsp Honey

Combine all of the ingredients together.

For the glaze

1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar

1 Tbsp Bourbon

Water (enough to make a paste that can be drizzled)

Combine the sugar and bourbon, whisk in enough water to make a glaze that can be drizzled.

Oooh, thanks a lot, Parrothead! I notice the recipe has the dough resting overnight. Is this essential or can it rest for, I don't know, 6 hours or so and be OK?

Traditional Irish Shrove Tuesday Pancakes

2C flour

1/2t salt

2 1/2C whole milk

2 eggs

1 oz unsalted butter

Butter for frying

Sugar (I put mine in a food processor for caster sugar.)

Lemon juice. (these last 2will be sprinkled on top)

Beat eggs & milk in a bowl

Sift flour & salt together in another bowl. (I sometimes sift the flour 2X)

Add 1/2 milk mixture stirring constantly

Melt butter & mix it in

Add remaining milk/egg mixture whisking constantly

Allow to stand at least 2 hours

Melt 1T butter in frying pan

Add 1/4C batter & tip pan until evenly coated

Keep pan moving as you cook to prevent sticking

When underside is golden brown, flip

Slide onto oven proof platter

Sprinkle pancake with sugar & lemon juice; roll up

Keep warm in 300* oven til ready to eat

Makes about 6 - 8 depending on the size of your pan. These should be pretty thin almost like a crepe.

Oooh, thanks a lot, Parrothead! I notice the recipe has the dough resting overnight. Is this essential or can it rest for, I don't know, 6 hours or so and be OK?

:lol: I don't pay attention to that part. I'm always running late. I just punch it down and let it sit for half an hour or so then get back to it. The refrigerator keeps the yeast less active but it will still rise again a bit.

:lol: I don't pay attention to that part. I'm always running late. I just punch it down and let it sit for half an hour or so then get back to it. The refrigerator keeps the yeast less active but it will still rise again a bit.

A woman after my own heart!! Thanks!