Menu

Book Lists?

MrsBanjoClown

I've seen some books that give lists of books in the library. There are also other threads here if you do a search.

However, the main things we have used were 1) suggestions from our children's librarian--who asked what sorts of things ds likes (dogs, for example) and steered us to books that have those things in them...for us this included the Magic Tree House books, which also fit the second and third category which is 2) books that his friends are also reading and 3) that have some learning of other subjects (history, for example) that they can inspire, and then the last main group has been 4) children's classics --but these last are mainly things that get read to him, rather than what he reads. Series books, whether Magic Tree House, Narnia books, Series of Unfortunate Events, Mary Poppins, Laura Ingalls Wilder books, Buddy Files, and others have tended to be hits in our home. If it has dogs in it, it also tends to be a hit, even if not necessarily intended for children: so, Lassie Come Home, The Incredible Journey, Marley and Me, Sounder, etc. But I have thus far avoided what might be too sad, such as Where the Red Fern Grows. Similarly we did read aloud of A Wrinkle in Time during 1st grade, but have not done the ones in that series that seemed to get into too heavy for a young child type subjects.

In any case, I thought the children's librarian's approach of looking for what the child likes was very helpful, and so also is finding books that give a common interest with what a number of other children are also reading. (assuming you know other children who are reading books!)

I will 2nd the Magic Treehouse series. My advanced reader started them in K and read the whole series over the next year or so. She even now in 4th grade gets each new one as it comes out :)

She picked up a lot of history from them as well.

For my youngest I have used the Sonlight 2nd grade list (not the advanced one) and it has been just right for her.

adding: also, as we were doing WWE workbooks and other books that have excerpts from literature, anything that seemed appealing from those that we had not yet read we made part of our reading.

I think perhaps the best things overall--especially at the age you mention-- have been the Laura Ingalls Wilder (plus Rose books) series, which gave a huge broad look at life and living, philosophy, psychology, interpersonal relationships etc. (and seemed to be enjoyed by boys as well as by girls--my son was still in regular school when reading those and almost all of the dc in the class of both genders were enjoying them), plus some historical glimpses into the past, and The Magic Tree House series, which has books that are at reading levels that seem to fit your son, from R.L. 2.0 to R.L. 4.something (for some of the fact trackers), and also gave a good bit of a look at various things, though from a more fantastical perspective. These two series together would keep a child busy for quite a while. And they are, arguably, worth reading more than once.