Menu

DS hates BJU literature - stick it out or switch?

We started BJU's 9th grade literature (w/DVDs) in January. Literature is my personal weak point, so I was very glad he was going to have somebody who could actually explain things to him. However, he hates it. Really, really hates it. We are 6 weeks into it (it's a semester long course) and I'm not sure what I should do.

If I switch to something else, any recommendations? I had already decided to do TTC/WttW with him next year, but I cannot afford to buy that now, even if I just buy TTC. I looked at Progeny Press guides, but they take so long, we'd probably only get through one book before the end of the year.

Or should I just make him stick it out to the end of the year?

We tried the BJU Lit but it did not go well here either. I knew my ds needed some remedial work in writing and lit analysis so we did Lightning Lit 7 and 8 in a year. He learned a lot, never complained and he has a better grasp of literary terms as well as his writing changed from disjointed mess to full flowing pieces.

Rhonda,

Could you give me some specific info on why your ds hates the Lit 9? I had hoped to use this with my son next year. But I will NOT be using the dvd...just the text. I will use the TE to lead discussion.

Does he dislike the text? Or is the DVD? Or both?

Do you think he would like it more if it weren't a dvd course...if he was able to have live discussions on the material?

Thanks!

Jetta

Rhonda,

Could you give me some specific info on why your ds hates the Lit 9? I had hoped to use this with my son next year. But I will NOT be using the dvd...just the text. I will use the TE to lead discussion.

Does he dislike the text? Or is the DVD? Or both?

Do you think he would like it more if it weren't a dvd course...if he was able to have live discussions on the material?

Thanks!

Jetta

The text is not the problem. He likes the stories. He say he doesn't like the video because he thinks she goes on and on once he understands the concept. I'm not convinced he does understand the concept, but that's where he's coming from.

I don't feel comfortable teaching it myself, which is the main reason we're using the DVDs. So, he is either going to have to just put up with it and get it done, or I'm going to have to find something that is meant for more independent study.

We tried the BJU Lit but it did not go well here either. I knew my ds needed some remedial work in writing and lit analysis so we did Lightning Lit 7 and 8 in a year. He learned a lot, never complained and he has a better grasp of literary terms as well as his writing changed from disjointed mess to full flowing pieces.

I thought about Lightning Lit 8, but I'm not sure we have enough time left in the year to do it justice. I really don't want to carry anything over into next year.

Rhonda,

We love Scott Foresman, and moved to it from BJU/A Beka. Dd went from hating literature to wanting to become an English major! I didn't like the BJU 9th grade book, in fact, when I looked at it at a book fair, we decided to read whole books that year. Didn't like A Beka's 9th grade literature either. For 10th grade on, it wasn't always the selections, but the questions/commentary. If I was more familiar with the pieces, then it wouldn't be so bad, but I rely heavily on the teacher's manuals and/or dvds.

It was no problem doing SF w/o dvds, the only problem would be if your ds didn't want to go over the pieces with you. I have found dd and my discussions very beneficial, and having her tell me what she thinks about the pieces is a great start to writing about them. I didn't have to read the pieces, there was enough in the margin notes. Here and there I do read them if it helps our discussion.

SF has their US in Literature and England in Lit. books broken into time periods. There are time lines with important historical events, who was in power, etc. There is a historical introduction at each time period. Then there are author profiles, then a piece or two by that author. Also, there are pieces about different types of writing that were introduced in a certain time period. The back of the book tells about all literary elements, and has essay prompts to write about each of them.

Here are the ISBNs for those interested, my sets were $20-$25 used including shipping from two places, these are 1989/1991 editions, this is from Janice in NJ:

9th - Patterns in Literature SE 0-673-29379-3; TE 0-673-27079-3

10th - Traditions in Literature SE 0-673-29380-7 (1991) ; TE 0-673-27070-X (1989) So far I haven't had a problem with these two matching up.

Then you choose from among the following for 11th/12th

United States in Literature - There are two editions of this. One contains The Red Badge of Courage (SE 0-673-29382-3) for Unit 8 and the other contains Three Long Stories - by James, Wharton, and Cather (SE 0-673-29381-5). TE Contains both Red Badge & Three Long Stories 0-673-29391-2

England in Literature - Macbeth Edition SE 0-673-29384-X; Hamlet Edition SE 0-673-29383-1; TE 0-673-27082-3

Classics in World Literature - SE 0-673-27075-0; TE 0-673-27083-1

The text is not the problem. He likes the stories. He say he doesn't like the video because he thinks she goes on and on once he understands the concept. I'm not convinced he does understand the concept, but that's where he's coming from.

I don't feel comfortable teaching it myself, which is the main reason we're using the DVDs. So, he is either going to have to just put up with it and get it done, or I'm going to have to find something that is meant for more independent study.

In some classes, the teacher does go on and on. Some of those videos I can't stand myself. (We've been using HomeSat/DLO for 8 years.)

Personally, I let my son skip the videos he can't stand.

My dd is using the 9th grade lit this year. The activity pages on the CD-Rom are key to the program being what I like. Just the text was very boring. There is a schedule in the back of the TG that has everything all laid out including the sheets.

Is this the new or old edition. The distance learning still uses the older edition, with the stained glass window on front. I believe the newer edition class is coming out next year.

In some classes, the teacher does go on and on. Some of those videos I can't stand myself. (We've been using HomeSat/DLO for 8 years.)

Personally, I let my son skip the videos he can't stand.

I had high hopes for this class because it's taught Mrs. Vick. I guess even she can't make it interesting for my DS. :)

Thank you, Rhonda!

I hope you find a game plan that works for your son! Personally, I wouldn't switch programs this late in the year, but I would let him off the hook of watching the dvd if he hates it that much. He could finish reading the text, possibly add in some whole books, and call it done. Then you could pick a new program (like the Scott Foresman) for next year.

I am using BJU 9th grade lit as a spine for introducing literary elements to my 10th grade son. I also supplement with lectures from "Teaching the Classics" by the Center for Literary Education, but these aren't really necessary as much as they are entertaining and illustrative (ie. I already owned them). I don't use BJU DVDs for the course, but I rely heavily on the Teacher's Edition which is excellent.

1. First my son takes brief notes on the essay that introduces the literary elements for the unit, making sure he defines the terms discussed. He also does this for the "Thinking Zone" sections.

2. Then we read the paragraph at the end of each story about the author, focusing on any aspect of the historical context which might have influenced the author.

3. While reading, I require my son to highlight, underline, and write in the margins about passages which are relevant to the literary element focused on in the unit. I always read the selections myself- they are easy before-bed reading for me.

4. After reading, we discuss the "About the Story" questions (5 minutes- TE is great for this), he writes answers to them. We do the same thing for the worksheet (on the CD in the TE) for the story- discuss it together (5 minutes) and then he fills it in.

5. For the unit exam, I require only one of the paragraph essay questions. I treat this as a writing assignment- we first discuss to develop a thesis statement and outline. I focus on quality, not quantity, with the essay- it has to be well-written and backed up with examples from the stories.

I know this sounds like a lot but I focus on teaching the meaning of each literary element using examples from the stories. I move along quickly and rely heavily on the TE.

We are also reading WTM literature supplemented with Teaching Company DVDs.

I am an ex-TOG user!

I've replied and erased for two days now, so I'm just going to say it with the disclaimer that we haven't done the high school levels of BJU literature. BUT when my oldest ds tried to do Reading 6 with the very excellent Mrs Vick he hated it too .... even the Booklinks. I thought the teaching was really good and the selections were interesting, but his point was that you can't have a discussion about what you are reading with a television screen. So when she would ask open ended questions that he was supposed to respond to, he felt like an idiot. We finished the course but dropped the videos.

I think the teachers take all the discussion questions straight out of the TM. Is there any way you could get hold of one of those yourself (the past edition should have tons of TM's floating around), possibly pre-view the video or Mom's Minutes (or whatever they call it now) to get the jist of the lecture, then have the discussions yourself with your son? I wouldn't try to find another course this close to the end of the year.

just my .02

I do have the TM. I've looked over what he's covering in class and what the TM does and it's close, but not exactly the same. I have real insecurity about teaching this subject. Maybe I should just get over myself. :)

I appreciate your input. (and I agree that it's late to be trying to find a different course)

I am using BJU 9th grade lit as a spine for introducing literary elements to my 10th grade son. I also supplement with lectures from "Teaching the Classics" by the Center for Literary Education, but these aren't really necessary as much as they are entertaining and illustrative (ie. I already owned them). I don't use BJU DVDs for the course, but I rely heavily on the Teacher's Edition which is excellent.

1. First my son takes brief notes on the essay that introduces the literary elements for the unit, making sure he defines the terms discussed. He also does this for the "Thinking Zone" sections.

2. Then we read the paragraph at the end of each story about the author, focusing on any aspect of the historical context which might have influenced the author.

3. While reading, I require my son to highlight, underline, and write in the margins about passages which are relevant to the literary element focused on in the unit. I always read the selections myself- they are easy before-bed reading for me.

4. After reading, we discuss the "About the Story" questions (5 minutes- TE is great for this), he writes answers to them. We do the same thing for the worksheet (on the CD in the TE) for the story- discuss it together (5 minutes) and then he fills it in.

5. For the unit exam, I require only one of the paragraph essay questions. I treat this as a writing assignment- we first discuss to develop a thesis statement and outline. I focus on quality, not quantity, with the essay- it has to be well-written and backed up with examples from the stories.

I know this sounds like a lot but I focus on teaching the meaning of each literary element using examples from the stories. I move along quickly and rely heavily on the TE.

We are also reading WTM literature supplemented with Teaching Company DVDs.

I am an ex-TOG user!

I appreciate you writing out how you use BJU lit. That is extremely helpful!

I think with BJU Lit you have to worry about "drill and kill" destroying the enjoyment of literature. Could you just make sure your dc learns the definitions of the literary elements and is able to identify them in the story? Maybe only make him listen to the lecture parts about the literary elements in the beginning of each unit, and the discussions of About the Story for each story. Then check his worksheet using the teacher's answer sheet. And maybe have him mark his book with at least one example of the literary element under study? If he has a separate writing curriculum, make the unit test essay question part of an assignment for writing.

My daughter also hates it, but it isn't because it isn't good...it is because it is hard, and she has to work at it. I also use TOG, but some weeks we are so busy we don't get to the Literature readings in TOG. I think the BJU Literature program teaches the literary elements and analysis very well, but the short stories do not give too much depth to keep my child interested like whole books do.

I think with BJU Lit you have to worry about "drill and kill" destroying the enjoyment of literature. Could you just make sure your dc learns the definitions of the literary elements and is able to identify them in the story? Maybe only make him listen to the lecture parts about the literary elements in the beginning of each unit, and the discussions of About the Story for each story. Then check his worksheet using the teacher's answer sheet. And maybe have him mark his book with at least one example of the literary element under study? If he has a separate writing curriculum, make the unit test essay question part of an assignment for writing.

Good suggestions. Thank you.

I personally would make him finish the class, but that's just me. ;) I KNOW Mrs. Vick is an excellent teacher, and I KNOW she teaches the elements of literature very well and thoroughly...which is what's important and what you're wanting your student to learn, right?...I also know that she's a hard teacher who expects your student to do his/her part. My older boys loved Mrs. Vick, but hated her 9th grade Writing & Grammar class. It was hard for them, which made them hate the class. How is he doing grade-wise? Is he learning the material, or are his grades reflecting that he's not 'getting it".

I would adjust the class as needed, but I personally wouldn't let him drop it. Perhaps he can discuss the discussion questions with you or maybe skip two video classes a week where you teach/discuss from the TM instead. Idk, it's only a semester, ya know? I'd try to make it work. ;)