Menu

Need help with tofu asap, pleeeeease!!!

I bought tofu to add into a sesame noodle dish we're having with dinner tonight. I've made the recipe once before; my family loved it, and I bought tofu to add this time.

The hive is the best go to place, especially in a time crunch. What's the best way to prepare the tofu? Cube it and saute first in a little oil? Just add straight to the sauce (which is cold and then mixed with the hot noodles)?

I've been at work all day and didn't have a chance to look up any directions ahead of time.

Thank you!!

We always buy extra firm, regular (not silken) tofu and fry the cubes before putting into any dish. I don't like it squishy! To add...it can be done either way. It will taste yummy as long as your sauce is well seasoned. We just like it a little crispy firm instead of soft.

Is it too late to reply?

1) drain the tofu of water. Put a thick bunch of paper towels on plate, set tofu on towels, put another thick bunch on top. Set a plate on top of all that and put something heavy on it. Goal: squish out the tofu water.

I let it sit for 5 to 10. I replace towels once or twice and do it all over again.

Once you're used to it it's no big deal.

2) Then slice into slabs. I then blot the slabs w/ more paper towels to get out more moisture.

3) Then cube.

4) Put in a non stick pan w/ a TBL. or two of oil. On medium-low heat cook the tofu. Turn it every five mins. or so.

5) you want it to be a golden color and I like it on all sides, but not necessary.

I've seen recipes say to cook it for five or ten mins. To me, that will result in mushy, soft tofu. If you want it to have a firmness to it the above works.

Once you've done it once or twice, it becomes no big deal. Somewhat time consuming, but not hard.

Alley

This is exactly what I do, except I add a little soy sauce to the pan and then serve it with sauteed spinach over rice.

Is it too late to reply?

1) drain the tofu of water. Put a thick bunch of paper towels on plate, set tofu on towels, put another thick bunch on top. Set a plate on top of all that and put something heavy on it. Goal: squish out the tofu water.

I let it sit for 5 to 10. I replace towels once or twice and do it all over again.

Once you're used to it it's no big deal.

2) Then slice into slabs. I then blot the slabs w/ more paper towels to get out more moisture.

3) Then cube.

4) Put in a non stick pan w/ a TBL. or two of oil. On medium-low heat cook the tofu. Turn it every five mins. or so.

5) you want it to be a golden color and I like it on all sides, but not necessary.

I've seen recipes say to cook it for five or ten mins. To me, that will result in mushy, soft tofu. If you want it to have a firmness to it the above works.

Once you've done it once or twice, it becomes no big deal. Somewhat time consuming, but not hard.

Alley

I like to bake my tofu. The texture gets nice and firm!

I usually drain and squeeze it a little, then cut it up into cubes.

Then toss it with some sort of flavoring. (I usually use tamari.)

Bake it at 300 degrees on a sprayed cookie sheet until it's firm and lightly browned.

Here's a recipe that's not quite what I do, but is similar: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2639

This is exactly what I do, except I add a little soy sauce to the pan and then serve it with sauteed spinach over rice.

Yes! Soy sauce and garlic. Cook the tofu in both and let marinate over night. Really good.

I meant to add: cook in the oil on medium-low for about 15 to 20 mins.

Alley

I like to bake my tofu. The texture gets nice and firm!

I usually drain and squeeze it a little, then cut it up into cubes.

Then toss it with some sort of flavoring. (I usually use tamari.)

Bake it at 300 degrees on a sprayed cookie sheet until it's firm and lightly browned.

Here's a recipe that's not quite what I do, but is similar: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2639

I'm trying this tomorrow -- this sounds healthier too!

Heaven!! I wanted to eat it all!!!!

I used Ree's recipe. I made it for lunch a few days ago, and my kids loved it. Tonight I added tofu, chopped peanuts, and gave it a few shots of lime juice when it hit my plate. I subbed sriracha sauce for the hot chile oil, and I used less vegetable oil.

Thank you again for the tofu suggestions.

Desperately wishing we had a food smilie . . .

Thank you, both! It's cooking now, but it looks like I should turn down the heat!

Blueridge, it cracked me up that out of all of the people who could respond, you did. You don't exactly live in tofu country! :lol::lol:;)

:D. I have a big ol' tub of it in my fridge right now. That recipe you used sounds wonderful, and similar to something that dd14 made up. She cooked some packs of ramen noodles, left off the seasoning pkg., and then tossed them with ketjap manis (sweet soy sauce). Oh, my, so wonderful with grilled chicken and veggies tossed in. I'll try the tofu soon.