Menu

Do you do this?

pro31lady

Do you take apart books - such as teacher's manuals or a book like BFSU to place in 3 ring binders? Do you find this helps?

I have been debating about doing this to some of my books - but .... once it is apart I can't put it back together again so....

Why do you do this if you do? How does it help?

Thanks -

Lori

The only one I have taken apart was my copy of OPGTR. The binding was falling off anyway and pages were coming out of the book so I just tore the pages out and put them in page protectors. My biggest problem with it is that by putting it in the page protectors it went from a 1 inch book to a 3 inch binder.

Things I do like -

I like that my kids don't freak out when I pull the book out. They do much better when they just see one sheet of paper.

I like that I can pull just a few lessons out and put them in my binder for the week or take just a small portion when we are travelling.

I like that it is harder for my toddler to destroy a whole book

I wouldn't do it again... but for a book that was already falling apart it was the best solution.

I rip EVERYTHING apart and sometimes I even textmap.

I study best by scribbling on everything. And I like my papers to lay flat, and the entire chapter spread out where I can see all the pages at once.

I absolutely adore BFSU, but I'm not going to admit what I did to it.

If I am going to really LEARN something it has to be on single unbound sheets of 8X11 and printed on just one side. I have scanned and printed entire books just to have this.

I have ripped apart $100.00 hard bound out of print books.

I cut apart every large paperback book I'll be using/handling very much, have them drilled with three holes, and put them in three-ring notebooks (or, to be more exact, I take them to Kinko's and have Kinko's do it). I have three-ring notebooks all over the place. :D

I don't do that with hardcover books, though.

I don't take apart my teacher's manuals, but I have started taking apart the kids workbooks, three-hole punching them and putting them in a three-ring binder. Then, I pull a page out for the day, stick it in a wipe-off pocket and give them dry-erase markers for their work.

At this age (6 and 5) it's working great...and I can pass the workbooks down to the Littles when they're ready.

Do you take apart books - such as teacher's manuals or a book like BFSU to place in 3 ring binders? Do you find this helps?

I have been debating about doing this to some of my books - but .... once it is apart I can't put it back together again so....

Thanks -

Lori

Yep. Not with everything but sometimes and with no guilt. I've even sold books I've taken the binding off of. Put it neatly in a notebook or comb bind.

If I'm going to be using a book over and over and it will help me use the book I do it with no hesitation. They are my tools, and if I need to modify them to be better tools, I do it.

I do that, as well (although I let the dc write on the page, and then I put it back).

I do it to my TMs so that they will lay flat when I open them, and so that I can add any of my own paper (notes and whatnot); sometimes TMs have things to copy for the dc, and three-ring-notebook makes it easy to remove a page, photocopy it, and put it back (the last two reasons are why I don't do spiral binding).

Thanks -

Lori

I try to resell as much as possible, so, no, I don't take books apart. I use the little post-it flags and never write in them, either.

Blessings,