Menu

Dizziness, visual disturbances, nightmares, etc. in puberty

My dd11, recently having started her monthly cycles, is having some weird issues. She has been to the doctor already for dizzy spells. He checked her BP, drew blood & tested it, listened to her heart, etc. He found nothing wrong & suggested she cut back on sugar, drink plenty of fluids, and make sure to get enough sleep. We did these things, and her dizzy spells stopped. Now, however, she is having other strange symptoms. First of all, she will "blank out," meaning, for example, she just stares & forgets what she is saying or she doesn't remember what I just said to her. Also, sometimes after she does this, she appears to have a very short, mild seizure of some type, which she also doesn't remember. Last night she told me that her vision is "weird" sometimes. I asked her to explain, and she said that sometimes her face "gets bigger and sometimes looks creepy" when she looks in the bathroom mirror. To add to this, she is having nightmares almost every night. I am taking her back to the doctor this Friday to discuss these new symptoms. I am just wondering if anyone else has children who've done this, and also would like prayers. I am worried about my dd and hoping to get answers from the doctor this Friday, which seems like an eternity away right now.

Edited by freeindeed
update

I would wonder about seizures being triggered by puberty. My friend's daughter had some starting with puberty.

I know that for my daughter puberty was a rough time for her seizures. I would ask for a referral to a neurologist and an EEG. If your regular doctor will order the EEG and something shows up you will move to the head of the line for the neurologist.

Thanks, ladies. I do suffer from migraines myself, so that is something the doctor and I discussed before and will discuss again tomorrow. He mentioned it as a possibility. Also, I will ask for a referral if the doctor doesn't suggest it himself. He probably will as he is very thorough. I am hoping for answers soon.

Seek out a good neurologist that will work with you and your daughter.

I suffered from migraines and seizures triggered by the hormonal change during my period.

It started with the onset on my menses and didn't end until we took a very aggressive approach.

In my case, no medication would stop the seizure. I had very few grand mal seizures, however I would have several absent seizures every month.

I feel for your daughter and I hope she gets the help that she needs.

My dd11, recently having started her monthly cycles, is having some weird issues. She has been to the doctor already for dizzy spells. He checked her BP, drew blood & tested it, listened to her heart, etc. He found nothing wrong & suggested she cut back on sugar, drink plenty of fluids, and make sure to get enough sleep. We did these things, and her dizzy spells stopped. Now, however, she is having other strange symptoms. First of all, she will "blank out," meaning, for example, she just stares & forgets what she is saying or she doesn't remember what I just said to her. Also, sometimes after she does this, she appears to have a very short, mild seizure of some type, which she also doesn't remember. Last night she told me that her vision is "weird" sometimes. I asked her to explain, and she said that sometimes her face "gets bigger and sometimes looks creepy" when she looks in the bathroom mirror. To add to this, she is having nightmares almost every night. I am taking her back to the doctor this Friday to discuss these new symptoms. I am just wondering if anyone else has children who've done this, and also would like prayers. I am worried about my dd and hoping to get answers from the doctor this Friday, which seems like an eternity away right now.

her biochemistry sounds out of whack. the mini-seziures are common with sensory issues. To start, I would look at a gluten intolerance. or yeast, casein, or soy. cutting back on sugar can reduce yeast. yeast overgrowth will burrow into the gut and release toxins. amazing what it can do. so if she likes sugar (or has had antibiotics) - cut it out and everything that has sugar in it. Yeast cleanses are available at health food stores. most grocery store yogurt is loaded with sugar.

I would not go to an MD - but that's just me dealing with an ASD son with lots of anxiety (wtih nightmares almost every night) and being brushed off by too many western docs except when I *really* pushed. I finally started taking him to a naturopath and things are getting better.

Edited by gardenmom5

Dd had an appointment with her pediatrician today. He scheduled tests (MRI, EEG) for this coming week and also scheduled her appointment with a pediatric neurologist for this coming week as well. Hopefully we will have answers soon. I really appreciate prayers for her as we wait. Thank you.

Sounds like a great plan. Did he also order blood work? A fast blood sugar, kidney and liver function tests, iron levels (for anemia) thyroid (including sub thyroids), etc. might be useful as well. I just mention that as that is pretty standard blood work and sometime puberty can throw things out of wack.

Oh, and if she has never had these tests done before, the MRI and EEG are both painless...unless they do contrast for the MRI then she would need an IV.

Sounds like a great plan. Did he also order blood work? A fast blood sugar, kidney and liver function tests, iron levels (for anemia) thyroid (including sub thyroids), etc. might be useful as well. I just mention that as that is pretty standard blood work and sometime puberty can throw things out of wack.

Oh, and if she has never had these tests done before, the MRI and EEG are both painless...unless they do contrast for the MRI then she would need an IV.

She had blood work done about six weeks ago when I took her for headaches and dizziness. Everything came back normal. The doctor was reassuring today, but also concerned.

I am trying not to freak out, and I have been outwardly calm for my dd's sake...but inside I am really scared. My oldest child is currently deployed to Afgh. so I already have to deal with that fear. Now here is something else with another child. I am trying to give it all to God and know that He is in control, but it's easier said than done.

Just saw this post. Glad that the doctors got your dd in so quickly and the diagnosis was made.

My son has epilepsy. Many of your daughter's symptoms sound like some of my son's. It can be a frustrating process of finding the right medication. My son is doing really really well now. He is on two medications with little to no side effects. It took a while to get to this point but we are thrilled!

I have found so many issues my son has go away when he has good seizure control. I hope that is the case with your daughter!

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Glad you got some answers. It can be hard to hear that your child is having seizures but now you know what you are dealing with and can address it. So glad your doctor got her in right away and you got answers.

Just be warned that it can take some time for the seizure meds to get to the right level and sometimes adjustments need to be made and/or more than one med is needed. There will likely be follow up blood tests to monitor the levels in her blood, etc.

That all said, my daughter is on 2 different seizure meds and doing well with them.

Glad you got some answers. It can be hard to hear that your child is having seizures but now you know what you are dealing with and can address it. So glad your doctor got her in right away and you got answers.

Just be warned that it can take some time for the seizure meds to get to the right level and sometimes adjustments need to be made and/or more than one med is needed. There will likely be follow up blood tests to monitor the levels in her blood, etc.

That all said, my daughter is on 2 different seizure meds and doing well with them.

Yep, we have to go back to the neurologist in three weeks. He is going to have another EEG done to see if dd's current medication is working. It is a relief to know what's wrong.

Edited by freeindeed

I read your original posting yesterday and felt compelled to respond today, just in case. Do you have a natural gas appliances in your house? If you do, please consider a natural gas leak detector (different from a carbon monoxide detector). I know that your doctor diagnosed it as seizures and this is often how people with natural gas poisoning are diagnosed. I am harping on this only because this is my experience this week. Today, I have no working oven as it is taken apart and there are pieces everywhere while the cause of the leak is found. But no more bad headaches, dizziness, etc.

I read your original posting yesterday and felt compelled to respond today, just in case. Do you have a natural gas appliances in your house? If you do, please consider a natural gas leak detector (different from a carbon monoxide detector). I know that your doctor diagnosed it as seizures and this is often how people with natural gas poisoning are diagnosed. I am harping on this only because this is my experience this week. Today, I have no working oven as it is taken apart and there are pieces everywhere while the cause of the leak is found. But no more bad headaches, dizziness, etc.

Thank you so much for your concern. We don't have any gas appliances--we are all electric. I am so thankful that you discovered what was wrong in your house before something worse happened.