Menu

Robotics - what do you reccomend?

My dd (12 yo) is very interested in robotics (built one kit she bought at a garage sale in one day!) and loves computers. What do you reccomend as a good starting place/curriculum/kit for her? I've heard of Mindstorms from Lego - but one reviewer said it's not a beginner kit and the programming is difficult to figure out. Please help me - they are all so expensive and I don't want to buy one that we can't figure out! Thanks,

Rondi

I think Mindstorms sound like they'd be a great gift for your daughter. In my opinion, it's totally age appropriate for a 12 year old.

She might also enjoy Make magazine. Even though most of the projects are too ambitious for a kid, my kids still love reading it. A motivated kid with an interested parent will find lots of awesome ideas. :)

We do Lego robotics w/ the NXT Mindstorms. Pics here of a few projects...

Your dd is at a great age to start with this kit. Order from LegoEducation or shop around. I found our kit at Walmart on black Friday for $219 including the software. We still need a few more sensors though.

My dds take robotics classes at our local science center.

Good luck!

I wish I could find a class! Thank you so much for the advice, everyone.

Has anyone ever tried this: http://robomatter.com/Shop-By-Product-Type/Curriculum/Middle-School/NXT/Robotics-Engineering-Vol.-1-Introduction-To-Mobile-Robotics-Home-School-Edition

It's a curriculum that goes with the Mindstorm. Any opinions on it?

Beth: great photos - looks like just what I'm looking for! Sharon: I'll look into the magazine - my kids love that kind of stuff.

We did start the kids out in a camp bc I was concerned about making the investment in the NXT if they wouldn't like it. However, they were 7 and 9 when they went to camp and ADORED it. We bought the kit, did a club with some friends that year and then this past year I ran an FLL team...most awesome educational experience ever!

That curriculum looks terrific. I wanted it, but I felt my kids had already passed that point in ability when I was ready to order it. I wish they would make the 2nd course available homeschool and have inquired about it to no avail. My friend does have the curriculum you are looking at and I strongly recommend it...sight unseen :) I've been through all the demos and it is so well done. NXT's educational software takes you through tutorials to teach the basics but this would be the perfect next step!

Brownie

but one reviewer said it's not a beginner kit and the programming is difficult to figure out. Thanks,

Rondi

Rondi,

That reviewer has no clue what he/she is talking about. Lego Mindstorms is perfect for your 12 year old daughter. I want to tell you that my sons were on a Lego Robotics team for three years. The program starts at age 9 years old. It is so simple that a 9 year old could do this program. The Lego robotics program goes from ages 9-14 years old. Your daughter fits right in that category. The issue with Lego Mindstorms is that it does not teach real program per say. However, if you want to learn Programming C, the NXT brick in Lego Mindstorms does take that language.

I would say, "do it!" Your daughter will love it!!

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I know you are already ordering, but I thought I'd add, my ds did mindstorms last year in 8th grade (13) and really enjoyed it. He didn't have a group to work with, but just did it with dh. I'm not sure which one of them enjoyed it most:lol:. Ds didn't have any trouble figuring out the programming. Dh is a programmer and was there for support, but I don't think much was needed.

The NXT is a great start. Definitely, definitely not too much for a 12 yo. They use them with 4th to 8th graders in FLL.

From there, you can branch out into things like building Arduino, FIRST Robotics (high school level teams,) etc. My dd got her start with the NXT, though. :001_smile:

I second MAKE magazine. ROBOT magazine is great, too.

Lego is a very popular option. Vex is another option that is popular with school programs.

My DS is into electronics and other types of robotics so he finds Arduino or Parallax type building more interesting.

Oh yes, I forgot about VEX. We just hosted a VEX tournament this past weekend! It is more fun - and educational - than NXT, but I'm not sure what the minimum amount would be to get into it. The competition teams spend a lot of money, but they might have a smaller kit or something.

I would start at the VEX and FLL sites and start looking for area teams and competitions. VEX's events are listed at robotevents.com. Even if you don't participate, it's still a great thing to go watch.