Menu

extreme teething...

LMD

looking for advice or experiences! Before my DS2 was born I didn't really believe that growing teeth caused problems. With my DD and DS1, teeth would just appear, no behavioural warnings.

Now I believe!

My youngest son is 18 months old. His first teeth cutting through were accompanied by screaming and a mouth full of blood. I have never seen anything like it in my life. He seems to get teeth cutting through in a cluster of 2+ at a time, and each tooth is heralded by weeks of irritability. He can't sleep properly - he wakes up and writhes in pain. He has changes in his bowel movements, he is just generally miserable. Of course by the time his tooth finally comes through (after weeks of this) the next one is ready to start.

I don't know what I can do beyond the normal teething things, rusks, cold chewing toys, pain relief gel, medicated pain relief, cuddles and soothing. I'm starting to feel bad about medicating him too often (not so often that it's dangerous) but when I'm seeing my child writhing in pain unable to sleep, I don't know what else to do. And I won't lie, I'm exhausted too.

Now this child is a bit difficult behaviourally anyway, stubborn, always on the go, physically big and capable (was walking by 10 months). I have never before had a child that throws tantrums, throws himself on the floor etc. He seems to get very bothered very easily by feeling physically uncomfortable, if he's too hot, a little unwell, tired etc. It's like a switch flips and he's had enough of putting up with it!

Ok, maybe this turned into a vent. But I'm starting to wonder if the teeth/pain is related to the other difficult behaviour. I don't even think there's a way to know if that's so. He is otherwise a very sweet, clever, adorable child.

WDYT? Any advice on either front? Any insight to share?

No advice, just good wishes! I recall feeling like teething was infinite. I swear they were teething for years, almost all the time. Or that's how it felt.

One thing I learned from my mom - rinse your finger and massage the area where the tooth is trying to come through. They don't like it while you're doing it, but it provides some relief for a while. I also bought water-filled teethers and kept them in the fridge. Yes, they were too old for "teethers," but I didn't care. Mostly we just lived through it.

I didn't use any herbs or chemicals, but I know there's an herbal/homeopathic remedy that many like. Someone here is sure to recall the name.

Good luck!

They are simply called "Teething Tablets" as far as I know. Hylands makes them. They are fabulous. Also, some people swear by amber necklaces. The amber contains succinic acid (sp?) that is released in tiny amounts into the skin by the body's heat and acts as a mild anelgesic. I've used one myself for migraines, and personally I'd rate it as equal to a Tylenol. Takes the edge off.

Thanks for all your replies, will look into the suggestions.

I was wondering if it might be a sensory sort of issue, but I don't think so. I think it's just his personality and bad luck on the teeth part.

We're just going to have to wait it out I think...

OOOOOOO....:grouphug: I had one of these. No teeth at all until he was 14 months, then 4 STRAIGHT MONTHS of horrible teething with fevers, bleeding, crabbiness, runny nose. I thought I would go mad.

I would throw wet washcloths in the freezer and let him chew the frozen cloth. Popsicles helped occasionally. Tylenol for fevers and occasionally benedryl to knock him out.

DD loves to chew on crushed ice. Hers isn't quite as bad, I haven't seen any blood. In the past she has started screaming in the middle of the night because of the pain. Luckily hers seems to come a few days at a time with a break in between so the advil and teething gel isn't non stop.

Her other favorite although we try not to let her is chewing on a dog bone. That is her first preference every time.