Menu

10 reasons not to buy I Speak Latin

happycc

1. You will have to print out the 138 pages or you will have to buy an ebook reader.

2. You will have to spend 10 mins a day learning Latin with your child.

3. Once you are through the book, you will not be able to stop and will need to invest in further Latin resources.

:) That's all I could come up with.

I will give you one: natural method.

Which prepares you, as explicitly stated on the website, for other natural method based courses (Oerberg, etc.).

I checked the general sequence with audio files, how things are fleshed out, and read the sample - overall, it gave me a bit of a "blah impression" (with the disclaimer that I have not checked further than that, only audio & samples). So, I am not particularly impressed, but not negatively impressed either, keeping in mind these are young elementary kids with whom you cannot do much anyway.

Still, I am a snob and I do not like natural method.

BUT, if I had to choose one of those elementary programs to use with young kids, I would rather go with Minimus I-II (that one I am actually familiar with and even own - still not what I would personally prefer pedagogically, but I think would rather use that than ISL if I had to choose with the target age groups).

I will give you one: natural method.

Which prepares you, as explicitly stated on the website, for other natural method based courses (Oerberg, etc.).

Anyone else find it strange that Campbell expressly recommends using a grammar-translation program in his LCC but writes a natural method Latin book?? :001_huh: Maybe it is the speaking aspect, but it still throws me.

Anyone else find it strange that Campbell expressly recommends using a grammar-translation program in his LCC but writes a natural method Latin book?? :001_huh: Maybe it is the speaking aspect, but it still throws me.

Maybe he felt that as a first introduction for second graders, an immersion programme was more enjoyable?

Maybe his recommendation in LCC may have been influenced by the publisher's wishes?

Also, I have read a few of his older posts on this forum, and he, himself, used Lingua Latina to learn Latin.

;)

Give those kids that complain a chance to teach the class and you might be surprised.

First of all, my 12 yo, adamant that he would hate the *physical* lesson, giggled the entire time he watched me try to pantomime the immersion language lesson with his sister.....

HE GIGGLED....(he's almost 13, it's been so long since I've seen a giggle from him, that alone was worth the cost of the book.)

He wasn't excited about being the student, (after all it was too babyish in his opinion) but when I offered him the chance to *teach* his sister, he jumped on the wagon, had a blast and has agreed to keep *helping* during each lesson. (He has the experience of GSWL and we plan to move into Cambridge/lingua latina next year, I speak will help keep him comfortable and hopefully more fluent until then)

I had initially set aside 20 minutes, but I may make it 45, they had a blast with simon says and really seem to be getting along while learning together (almost unheard off most days with a 6 year age difference)

So the only reason I can give is it may through off your daily schedule if you try to plan it for just 20 minutes. :lol:

I had initially set aside 20 minutes, but I may make it 45, they had a blast with simon says and really seem to be getting along while learning together (almost unheard off most days with a 6 year age difference)

That just sounds priceless. :001_wub:

;)

Give those kids that complain a chance to teach the class and you might be surprised.

First of all, my 12 yo, adamant that he would hate the *physical* lesson, giggled the entire time he watched me try to pantomime the immersion language lesson with his sister.....

HE GIGGLED....(he's almost 13, it's been so long since I've seen a giggle from him, that alone was worth the cost of the book.)

He wasn't excited about being the student, (after all it was too babyish in his opinion) but when I offered him the chance to *teach* his sister, he jumped on the wagon, had a blast and has agreed to keep *helping* during each lesson. (He has the experience of GSWL and we plan to move into Cambridge/lingua latina next year, I speak will help keep him comfortable and hopefully more fluent until then)

So the only reason I can give is it may through off your daily schedule if you try to plan it for just 20 minutes. :lol:

Awesome! I recall those days. Now the tide is finally turning. :)