Menu

Help! I have lots of feta cheese but no tomatoes

OK. I bought 10 pounds of feta cheese from Sam's last week and this week I have no recipes. I usually do a tomato and feta cheese salad with balsamic which we love and never get tired of.

I am hoping that people out there have some ideas so I can use this up.

Ooohhh I adore feta. Here are some of my very favorite ideas for feta.

1. Crumbled up feta in ground turkey for grilled turkey burgers.

2. Take a boneless, skinless chicken breast and butterfly it. Open it up, drizzle a little olive oil inside. Put some baby spinach, and generous slab of feta. Fold back over and drizzle more olive oil on it. I also sprinkle with Lemon and pepper seasoning and some lemon juice. Bake at 350 until done. Really good! A friend does this with Tilapia or other white fish, but I prefer chicken.

3. Killer awesome chicken salad: Marinate chicken breasts in a balsamic vinegar dressing and grill. Salad with various lettuces and spinach, hard-boiled eggs, chicken, carrots, lots of feta, and balsamic dressing. And anything else you like on there -- cukes, etc. (no tomatoes needed)

4. Feta and spinach triangles in phyllo dough.

Those are the ones I can come up with off the top of my head. They are all faves of mine!

Pizza: Tomato sauce, chopped spinach, light mozzerella layer, sprinkle with feta and greek olives

Greek Pasta: Saute onion in olive oil, add large bunch of chopped swiss chard or spinach and sautee until tender, add 1 clove chopped garlic for the last minute. Toss with short chunky pasta, feta, plus or minus greek olives. Believe it or not this is one of my son's top 3 dinners.

You can freeze it! We buy ours in big blocks from Sam's, too and rather than finding it all draining and oddly pink in my cheese drawer one day, I cut it into reasonable sized chunks, wrap it in wax paper, tuck that into a freezer bag and freeze it. Thaws beautifully!

PS. Can you post your recipe w/the balsamic?? Don't have one of those and it sounds rather interesting :-)

WOW

I can't wait to cut into it.

AmyinPA - I love chickpeas and have alot. Can you tell me what evoo is? I have the rest of the ingredients and I will try it this weekend.

LauraGB - I just cut up tomatoes into chunks, add chunky feta, maybe purple onion and yellow peppers. Toss in balsamic vinegar and if I want olive oil. Salt and pepper and your good to go. This does not keep well so make just enough (I like it at the last minute). It is very good.

Thanks everyone. I have enough options for the whole brick and another. They all look so yummy!

WOW

I can't wait to cut into it.

AmyinPA - I love chickpeas and have alot. Can you tell me what evoo is? I have the rest of the ingredients and I will try it this weekend.

LauraGB - I just cut up tomatoes into chunks, add chunky feta, maybe purple onion and yellow peppers. Toss in balsamic vinegar and if I want olive oil. Salt and pepper and your good to go. This does not keep well so make just enough (I like it at the last minute). It is very good.

Thanks everyone. I have enough options for the whole brick and another. They all look so yummy!

EVOO: extra virgin olive oil

... to your house for dinner. :001_smile:

We like to do a very Egyptian dinner in the summer time, no cooking required:

Pitas

Hummus

Feta (crumbled)

Cucumbers (sliced)

Make pita sandwiches filled with hummus, feta, and cucumbers -- Delicious! This is most authentically served with cold watermelon on the side! Every time we have this for supper, my husband says it takes him right back to his Tante's kitchen in Cairo (he went to school there).

Enjoy!

Start with an uncooked pizza crust:

take a can of artichokes, a cup of mayo and 2 cloves of minced garlic and process them in a food processor or a blender. Spread this on the pizza crust.

Slice a whole yellow pepper, some red onions, both in rings, and layer on top of the artichoke spread.

Sprinkle with feta and thyme. (We have also done olives in the past)

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes til crust is golden and artichoke spread is bubbly.

We are having this tonight. It is yummy.

Start with an uncooked pizza crust:

take a can of artichokes, a cup of mayo and 2 cloves of minced garlic and process them in a food processor or a blender. Spread this on the pizza crust.

Slice a whole yellow pepper, some red onions, both in rings, and layer on top of the artichoke spread.

Sprinkle with feta and thyme. (We have also done olives in the past)

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes til crust is golden and artichoke spread is bubbly.

We are having this tonight. It is yummy.

YUM! I'm going to have to try that sometime soon!

LOL Sahamamama! I think I could feed him and every in between NJ and ND. It would be a long trip.....oh the pressure to get it right.

I really want to try the pizza recipes.

Thanks Mom2Legomanics. I could not think of a typo that made sense. :001_huh: I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. :lol:

A house favorite is grilled vegetables drizzled with balsamic and topped with generous helpings of feta. We like eggplant, red onion, zucchini and you can stack them to make it look elegant too! (Feta between layers then...)

Greek shrimp - cook diced canned tomatoes, onions, garlic, parsley,vermouth, add shrimp, top with feta and broil

Great tip on freezing feta though!

Mary