Menu

Bread recipes please

I was just searching through threads and lots of people mentioned they make homemade breads often. So, now can all of you share those wonderful tried and true recipes? It doesn't matter if it is white or wheat as long as it is good.

I have tried to make whole wheat bread so many times in the last month that I have went through a full jar of yeast and tons and tons of flour to just end up throwing it out. The bread turns out hard or too dense or just plain gross.

King Arthur flour is my go-to site for bread recipes. I would recommend starting there. Once you've gotten the hang of it, you can find other recipes on the web and experiment with them. I also have Bernard Clayton's Book of Breads and have learned lots from that book.

I used to have a wheat grinder, but it just wasn't our things. I just buy flour now. I mostly use white but will occasionally buy a bag of white wheat flour (this is lighter in color and not as strong a flavor as red wheat flour)

I only buy King Arthur flour.

What kind of mixer do you have? This will determine some aspects of your recipe.

I have a Bosch which can make a lot of bread dough at a time. I also have a kitchenaid which works fine for a loaf of white bread or pizza dough, but can struggle with wheat bread.

You can also make white/wheat combo bread just mixing the flour together in a ratio you find yummy.

My basic recipe came from Pleasant hill grain and i usually make the medium recipe, and usually get 5 loaves from it because of the size of the pans I use.

The recipe calls for using fresh ground whole wheat flour, but I have used King Arthur Bread flour or King Arthur All Purpose flour without any trouble.

I use this recipe for a half wheat half white flour. Usually I made sandwich rolls like the one pictured. I've also used it for sub sandwiches, dinner rolls, and as a regular loaf.

These days I make the basic boule from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. We love it and usually eat the entire loaf before it is completely cooled. I use it as a side for dinner with soup, spaghetti, and the like. Sometimes we'll have a slice or two with a hard-boiled egg and some fruit and call it lunch. I also use it for toast and french toast.

I just started using this recipe and it is a BIG hit in my house! It's so good.

Whole Wheat Bread

Makes two loaves.

1 1/2 T. yeast

2 1/3 c. warm water (110 degrees)

1/4 c. olive oil

1/4 c. honey

2 1/2 t. salt

*stir a bit*

1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour

1 c. white all-purpose flour

*mix on low (just till flours are incorporated, but still very lumpy)*

2 c. whole wheat flour

1 c. white flour

Knead on low, with dough hook, for 8 minutes. (or knead by hand)

Add flour, if necessary — just enough so that dough pulls almost completely away from sides of bowl as it kneads.

Turn out onto floured surface and knead by hand for 30 seconds, or until smooth and elastic. Put in lightly oiled large bowl, cover, and let rise for 90 minutes in a warm place.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Divide dough into two equal portions, place into greased loaf pans, cover, and let rise for 45 more minutes. (I set mine on the oven, and the let the preheating warmth do the work for me.)

Bake 34 minutes.

Cool on wire racks.

Here Post numer 18 from JFS in IL (thankyou thankyou thankyou for the recipe) I make this 1-2 times a week and have never had a bad result, except due to user error. I use honey to sweeten with, and add 1/3 C wheat gluten to get a really fluffy loaf. (I add it with the 4 C bread flour) Sometimes I have it (the gluten) and I add it, sometimes I don't and the bread is still delish, moist, and sandwich-perfect. (My kids like a really big sandwich and the gluten makes it rise higher out of the pan creating a tall loaf.)

Seriously. Never had a bad loaf. Even when I had to re-rise it for the 3rd time because I forgot I was baking it...

ETA: I occasionally use 1/2 bread flour and 1/2 whole wheat and when I do that the gluten really helps lighten the loaf. I've never attempted pure whole wheat.

Edited by urpedonmommy

I love "Artisan Bread in five Minutes a Day." It makes great bread and is very easy to make.

Agreed. I haven't had a loser loaf yet with this cookbook (except the one I forgot about and left in the oven for over an hour; even then, the inside was just fine for breadcrumbs). I have a teenaged son, so a loaf, especially the semolina or rye, seldom lasts more than an hour.

• 2 weeks later...

The Artisan Bread in Five Minutes videos on youTube shows them using a six-quart bucket with lid. I have trouble finding such a container. Does it really need to be that big for their basic recipe? What other options are there? I also hesitate to store such a big bucket in the fridge.