Menu

Detailed war strategy books?

The West Point Military History Series is a series of books and corresponding spiral-bound atlases depicting troop movements and such. They appear to be available on Amazon. I don't know whether they'd fit the bill in terms of the amount of reading/reading level of the books, which may be necessary for the atlases to make sense. e.g., book and atlas (My dh keeps this series, from his WP days, on the shelf in his office and has been known to whip one out to prove a point in conversation with unsuspecting guests, lol)

My boys like the Battles of the Ancient World, Battles of the Medieval World, Battles that Changed Warfare, etc. Barnes & Noble had several of them a couple of months ago. They have pictures showing the terrain, the location of the different sides, and arrows to show what parts of the armies moved where. The text explains why the strategy worked or not. Interesting to look at, even for me.

The Teaching Company also has a dvd with computer generated videos of how the battle was conducted. It might have been Great Battles of the Ancient World, but we got it from the library & I'm not sure of the title.

There's also a similar History Channel dvd, Decisive Battles of the Ancient World.

(Can you tell I have boys and we've spent some time on ancient history this past semester? :) )

My boys like the Battles of the Ancient World, Battles of the Medieval World, Battles that Changed Warfare, etc. Barnes & Noble had several of them a couple of months ago. They have pictures showing the terrain, the location of the different sides, and arrows to show what parts of the armies moved where. The text explains why the strategy worked or not. Interesting to look at, even for me.

The Teaching Company also has a dvd with computer generated videos of how the battle was conducted. It might have been Great Battles of the Ancient World, but we got it from the library & I'm not sure of the title.

There's also a similar History Channel dvd, Decisive Battles of the Ancient World.

(Can you tell I have boys and we've spent some time on ancient history this past semester? :) )

Thanks for this! I ordered one of them this morning.

The West Point Military History Series is a series of books and corresponding spiral-bound atlases depicting troop movements and such. They appear to be available on Amazon. I don't know whether they'd fit the bill in terms of the amount of reading/reading level of the books, which may be necessary for the atlases to make sense. e.g., book and atlas (My dh keeps this series, from his WP days, on the shelf in his office and has been known to whip one out to prove a point in conversation with unsuspecting guests, lol)

I ordered the atlas. I think that will give him plenty to play around with for awhile. Thank you!

I am looking for books for my 10 year old son that gives details about strategies that have been used in battles. He uses his figures to set them up but is frustrated because he can't find actual accounts in books. Has anyone run across anything like this?

The Osprey books are quite good. They are pricey though, so check your library.

He might enjoy The Defense of Duffer's Drift.

Try looking for military atlas or battle atlas when you search.

My husband's hobby is military history; he thought these books were very good. They were clear enough for me to follow too.

He does a lot of table top wargaming with miniatures. They sometimes re-enact famous battles, usually with some randomness to see if the outcome is the same. If anyone wants suggestions on rule sets, PM me and I'll ask him.

My husband's hobby is military history; he thought these books were very good. They were clear enough for me to follow too.

He does a lot of table top wargaming with miniatures. They sometimes re-enact famous battles, usually with some randomness to see if the outcome is the same. If anyone wants suggestions on rule sets, PM me and I'll ask him.

Yes, please! I think ds is getting old enough for this. I remember watching someone do it a long time ago, maybe on a movie, and thinking how cool that was. The more information you can give the better. :001_smile:

My dad is a huge Civil War buff, he's over 80 and has been reading about it for 50 + years. So when I wanted to read a book or two about the war and he told me this book: http://www.amazon.com/How-North-Won-Military-History/dp/0252062108/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329311410&sr=8-1 was the first that really told him how the North eventually won I read it. It is probably not at your son's level so I would hold off (or read it yourself). I learned all sorts of things about things like internal and external lines and other pieces of war strategy.