Menu

What are your favorite poetry picture books?

Rosie

I'd like to memorize more poetry with my children and I think using picture books would be wonderful. It seems like it would be much easier for them to memorize if they also have a visual.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? I'm specifically thinking of one poem per book, not an anthology....

Thank you!!!

My kids have really enjoyed Mixed Beasts by Wallace Edwards and Kenyon Cox. It is a funny mix of light verses about nonsensical "mixed" animals with witty hidden illustrations of real animals, like a fiddler crab drawn to really look like a fiddle and crab. It's verse and puns and Where's Waldo all together.

Also, following along those lines, we've enjoyed Behold the Bold Umbrellaphant by Jack Prelutsky and several books by Douglas Florian, including Omnibeasts, Zoo's Who, and Insectlopedia.

Block City by Robert Louis Stevenson

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost

:iagree: Love these! Here are some of our favorite poems from single volumes. I'll post again if I think of more.

The Owl and the Pussycat

The Quangle Wangle's Hat (DS5's favorite)

Oddhopper Opera

Hiawatha

My Shadow

The Spider and the Fly

If: A Father's Advice to His Son

Wynken, Blynken, and Nod (all-time favorite!)

ETA: How could I forget Paul Revere's Ride? You must do this one when you do American history! :D

ETA2: The Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat is DD's favorite. I'm sure more will come to me...

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson, illustrated by Tasha Tudor. This is my kids' favorite by a mile.

A Family of Poems collected by Caroline Kennedy

Paul Revere's Ride illustrated by Ted Rand

Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. Eliot illustrated by Edward Gorey

Poetry Speaks to Children

The Star Spangled Banner by Peter Spier - fabulous with a study of the war of 1812 too.

Zoo by Ogden Nash