Menu

Really good writing curriculum that kids like.

mystika1

I have been looking for something to use with my 9 year old dd. We currently use WWE2 and she is protesting.:001_huh: I like it but I think she needs something that will encourage her to write. I also think the repetition is boring her to death. I noticed the other day she began writing a cute story and just gave up on it. I honestly would like to continue with WWE but add to it. I am also not very confident in my ability to "check her writing." (It is not a big deal now but in higher grades I can see it will be a problem on my part.) I suppose IEW or BW would be my best choice but I don't want to miss something good. Plus IEW is a bit pricey. I would love other suggestions and maybe some pros and cons of IEW/BW and so on.

Penny

I have been looking for something to use with my 9 year old dd. We currently use WWE2 and she is protesting.:001_huh: I like it but I think she needs something that will encourage her to write. I also think the repetition is boring her to death. I noticed the other day she began writing a cute story and just gave up on it. I honestly would like to continue with WWE but add to it. I am also not very confident in my ability to "check her writing." (It is not a big deal now but in higher grades I can see it will be a problem on my part.) I suppose IEW or BW would be my best choice but I don't want to miss something good. Plus IEW is a bit pricey. I would love other suggestions and maybe some pros and cons of IEW/BW and so on.

Penny

One problem, I think, is that not everything is a good fit for every child...but fortunately there is much available nowadays. My child needs variety not to be frustrated, and needs to spend a good bit of time on the writing part of Lang Arts, so having more than one thing to switch around for variety is very helpful. Also, yes, expensive.

I got IEW direct from the publisher so that it would be returnable if not a good fit. One component will probably be returned, but so far SWI-A (with TWSS) seems to be good, though we are very early in the program, so I cannot say for sure that this will last--but I expect it will. I wish I had gotten it sooner, it would have saved me getting several things that were not returnable, and not any good for my particular child. Any con possible to mention on IEW other than cost that I have seen, is, I feel, made up for by the fact that it is not our only program, and my son has plenty of opportunity to be creative or do his own thing at other times. We also have the full SWI-A program, but if my son would prefer on some particular day to write about Labradors rather than tarantulas, or to work on his own version of an Anansi the spider tale instead of an Aesop's fable, that is fine with me. IEW didn't originally provide the specific models anyway.

We are also incorporating some aspects of BW--poetry and freewriting days. We also have Zaner-Bloser Strategies for Writers, plus the Z-B grammar & spelling.

My son has also been writing letters (including now to 2 children found via these forums)--this seems to be helpful in encouraging writing in general because it shows the use of writing to actually communicate in a meaningful way. One of his finished IEW compositions also went to his uncle to see, and got a positive response, and that also was helpful and motivating.

Ditto Writing Tales. It's EXACTLY what you need. WT1 is a nice slide-in (she can do it double pace to finish by the end of this year if you want), and WT2 gets really meaty with applied grammar, etc. You'll love it, and she'll love the creative outlet it gives her while still hitting the things you know need to be done. :)

Ditto Writing Tales. It's EXACTLY what you need. WT1 is a nice slide-in (she can do it double pace to finish by the end of this year if you want), and WT2 gets really meaty with applied grammar, etc. You'll love it, and she'll love the creative outlet it gives her while still hitting the things you know need to be done. :)

:iagree: Yup. I suggest Writing Tales.

My 9 yr old is also tired of WWE and she wants writing assignments. I'm looking at either Writing Tales or Winning With Writing. I'm going to print off a sample of each and see which one she likes better.

I still like the idea of WWS and The Creative Writer for next year, I haven't quite decided. I think WWE/WWS is such a good program, but I also want to encourage my dd's love of writing and need to consider her as an individual. My fear of curriculum hopping is warring with my desire to tailor homeschool to their individual needs and find what lights that fire.