Menu

Math U See with Honors reviews

What is the consensus on Math U See high school levels (with the Honors level questions)? Will it adequately prepare children for college if they choose the science/math route? Compared to Saxon math, does Math U See produce learners who understand the why behind math and can successfully solve algebraic problems?

I wish there were more reviews for MUS since it was revised with the Honors questions. I love Mr. Demme's presentation of material but I fear under-preparing my children for college.

There are several families in my homeschool support group that have used it in the past or are currently using. At first I was leary of it because it had gotten some bad reviews on these boards. However, I know of two children for two different families who have used Math U See through Calculus. They both scored high on their SATs and one even got a college scholarship to an excellent technical university. I was so impressed. The girl who got the scholarship told me that she has always used Math U See. She is a senior in high school and going to major in computer science. So, I guess you would have to decide, but that is what I have heard and what I know.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

What is the consensus on Math U See high school levels (with the Honors level questions)? Will it adequately prepare children for college if they choose the science/math route? Compared to Saxon math, does Math U See produce learners who understand the why behind math and can successfully solve algebraic problems?

I wish there were more reviews for MUS since it was revised with the Honors questions. I love Mr. Demme's presentation of material but I fear under-preparing my children for college.

If you do more searches here on MUS you'll notice parents who will sometimes suppliment with Sigapore CWP, MM, etc... We use MUS with all three and only recently purchased the Pre-A set with honors which looks interesting. Our oldest looked at his workbook and said 'what are these?' :D Since we don't have enough experience with the honors Qs yet I can't really offer a review of them. But I will say that it is a nice addition to add rigor and challenge. And yes, the lectures are very helpful, yet not as long winded like some of the other DVD programs.

I've been reading all I can on the various high school math threads:) I think I can sum up what I've read about MUS:

* It is a good visual presentation; for many students, MUS presents it in a way that makes sense. Even if the student goes on to use a different math program, they are able to apply what they learned in MUS to deepen their understanding.

* Not all students benefit or understand the visual presentation of MUS.

* MUS tends to be lighter on topics and is best done one level ahead. For example, MUS Algebra tends to have the same scope as others' pre-algebra. Working through Honors, and working through Calculus, however, should balance that out for students aiming for an Algebra-preCalc education.

* As Derek said, MUS tends to be light on the word problems (lots of word problems, but lacking in difficulty). Supplementing with CWP or something else helps overcome that.

I hope that is a good solid summary. Anyone is welcome to correct me or disagree - I have not used MUS upper levels, and am just trying to tie together what I've read in those 100+ threads :lol:

* MUS tends to be lighter on topics and is best done one level ahead. For example, MUS Algebra tends to have the same scope as others' pre-algebra. Working through Honors, and working through Calculus, however, should balance that out for students aiming for an Algebra-preCalc education.

I don't think this is true at all and have never even seen anyone make that claim even on these boards before. After doing MUS pre-algebra, ds tested through all of Lial's BCM and passed the pre-test for Lial's Introductory Algebra. Dd who is not through MUS pre-algebra yet, tried the Lial's Introductory Algebra pre-test and had no problems with it either (we were considering switching her for Algebra).

Algebra does not cover factoring quadratic equations. As far as I know that is the only material not covered at grade level.

I won't argue that MUS is light on word problems. The honors lessons help. We supplement with LOF because it is the opposite, instruction and practice light, but full of thinking and word problems.

While MUS is considered light here on TWTM boards, all those I have talked to that did use it although way through have had success in math beyond high school. Even those going into STEM fields have found it to be adequate preparation.

We aren't done yet, so I can't speak to outcomes yet.

I don't think this is true at all and have never even seen anyone make that claim even on these boards before. After doing MUS pre-algebra, ds tested through all of Lial's BCM and passed the pre-test for Lial's Introductory Algebra. Dd who is not through MUS pre-algebra yet, tried the Lial's Introductory Algebra pre-test and had no problems with it either (we were considering switching her for Algebra).

Algebra does not cover factoring quadratic equations. As far as I know that is the only material not covered at grade level.

I won't argue that MUS is light on word problems. The honors lessons help. We supplement with LOF because it is the opposite, instruction and practice light, but full of thinking and word problems.

While MUS is considered light here on TWTM boards, all those I have talked to that did use it although way through have had success in math beyond high school. Even those going into STEM fields have found it to be adequate preparation.

Ok, dumb question but where do you find the Honors questions? Are they on the website? I did a quick look and didn't see anything. My oldest is getting ready to begin Pre-Algebra so I'm definitely interesting in hearing more about the Honors...

Ok, dumb question but where do you find the Honors questions? Are they on the website? I did a quick look and didn't see anything. My oldest is getting ready to begin Pre-Algebra so I'm definitely interesting in hearing more about the Honors...

Our oldest ds is doing Pre-A right now and the honors Qs are built into the student workbook. So there is nothing additional to buy/add.

http://store.mathusee.com/catalog/secondary-math/prealgebra/prealgebra.html

This is great to hear!

Interesting idea supplimenting with LOF. We actually did that with Zeta and it seemed to work out pretty well.

I have heard a few others on here who have used MUS Algebra say it was too light as a standalone for Algebra. 8Fill mentioned this. Maybe she can comment as to why. I think it had to do with scope. I seem to recall she used the MUS Algebra as a Pre-A for her kids before going into more rigorous Algebra such as Foersters, Dolciani, etc... I found the quote:

I would personally never use MUS alg as an alg course. the primary focus is take something complex and make it easier to grasp, then master. It has been critiqued for being too easy and the author actually agrees with this in part. He wants to make Algebra easier for student to learn. With the addition of honors questions he has tried to increase rigor as well. He does succeed in making basic alg easy to grasp, but it does not move beyond the easy. (I have not seen the honors problems, but even the scope is reduced to about 1/2 of Foerster's text. And based on all of the problems in the book, I imagine the "honors" problems finally approaching the level of complexity you will find elsewhere as the base problems but in no way approaching challenging problems found elsewhere.) -- http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342798&highlight=MUS&page=5

Edited by dereksurfs

It is hard to go by anecdotal evidence, because it's hard to know if the dc did well because of MUS or in spite of it. That's true for any curriculum; you'd have to know the individual circumstances.

The best way to consider a curriculum is to decide whether (1.) the teaching format is a fit for your student and you and then (2.) compare what is covered to other materials you are also considering. As a pp said, conversations on the HS board have mentioned the lighter coverage of MUS. You could search for threads there; I know someone (maybe it was 8fills?) posted a very lengthy (including content lists) comparison of MUS and other curriculum.

if you want to search past threads about lightness, sue in st. pete has some thorough posts (she also links the success posts too, so you can get both perspectives). on my internet phone, forgive bad typing:)

ETA: ahhh, found it! Here is what I was talking about:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2443755&postcount=38

ETA also: I really do like the looks of MUS, and am going back n' forth in my own brain about using it:) I wish I had had this option during my high school years. I'm not sure it is the right choice for my kids, though. And to the OP, I think the Life of Fred / MUS combo sounds like a fantastic choice!

Edited by Wee Pip
found the link

Thank you for all of the replies. I'm happily moving forward with MathUSee + Honors + LOF and feel very much at peace about this decision. Woo Hoo! :D

Glad to hear it Dassah. Its always a good feeling once a decision is made after researching the various options. I look forward to hearing how it goes for your family.

• 1 month later...
Guest Fooonthehill

I have used MUS with three children since kindergarten with only one major frustration, and that is that because I was concerned about it not quite being enough, I switched to other programs twice. My 15 year old daughter is not terrifically math minded, and each time we switched, (once to Saxon, and once to Videotext) she stumbled through it and her grades and her grasp of the concepts began to suffer. She took the PSAT during her time in Videotext Algebra, and did not understand the PSAT math very well. She felt so much more confident going back into MUS for pre-algebra, (it really goes through each concept thoroughly using a combination of different learning styles) and I wish we hadn't wasted so much time trying other programs, though I know they work well for some.

My 13 year old son IS math minded, and we only switched him once for a few months. He was doing alright in the other pre-algebra program, but MUS is more understandable, and his mind has been able to focus on memorizing several of the numbers squared / square roots, and he was looking ahead in excitement at some of the honors questions which were figuring out the area of some cool 3D shapes! I will post how well they both do in math on the PSAT this coming October if I remember!

In summation, if it works, don't look for greener grass!

Edited by Fooonthehill

Interesting idea supplimenting with LOF. We actually did that with Zeta and it seemed to work out pretty well.

Hmm, my dd is going to be doing Zeta next year. I wonder if I should look into LOF, too?

I will have her also doing Daily Word Problems, from Evan-Moor, plus Critical Thinking problems, but I definitely want my kids to have a good math foundation. The crappy math in the public school was one of the big reasons I pulled my dd out in the first place.

Originally Posted by 8FillTheHeart viewpost.gif

I would personally never use MUS alg as an alg course. the primary focus is take something complex and make it easier to grasp, then master. It has been critiqued for being too easy and the author actually agrees with this in part. He wants to make Algebra easier for student to learn. With the addition of honors questions he has tried to increase rigor as well. He does succeed in making basic alg easy to grasp, but it does not move beyond the easy. (I have not seen the honors problems, but even the scope is reduced to about 1/2 of Foerster's text. And based on all of the problems in the book, I imagine the "honors" problems finally approaching the level of complexity you will find elsewhere as the base problems but in no way approaching challenging problems found elsewhere.) -- http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342798&highlight=MUS&page=5

My understanding (we're looking ahead to MUS algebra) is that, like the elementary MUS, the scope and sequence is nonstandard for algebra. But at the end of Algebra 2 in MUS, the child will have done "true" Algebra 2 work: the author focuses on what he considers fundamentals in Algebra 1, and then moves more quickly than most programs in Algebra 2. -- I think this is on their website.

ETA: I agree that it is a good idea to move the child ahead by a year in MUS, if possible -- maybe just teach math through the summer -- mainly because you _can_. The child will have very strong math skills for their grade in this case, as long as you educate at least through Zeta. I do not actually like the Singapore Challenging Word Problem series, have found some to be poorly worded. The Zaccaro Challenge Math books seem to be superior to me, though we are not using them right now -- we're supplementing with Calculadder, MEP math (Button is in MUS Delta/Epsilon right now, and MEP year 3/4), LoF, and Singapore's MathSprints which I really like.

Edited by serendipitous journey