Menu

Disney World Question

We're going to Disney for just one day in early May. We live nearby but have only been once since we usually do Sea World. It works out we'll be able to go with my mom who hasn't been since she was little (Disneyland). She's super excited so I'm trying to figure out how we can get the most out of it.

I've been looking at dining reservations and there is still plenty available. We're going to do Magic Kingdom but I'm toying with the idea of maybe adding in Epcot since my dds enjoy but aren't crazy about MK.

Do you think it would be too much to try both parks in one day?

Where would you dine if you only had one day?

Anything else I should try to pack into our day?

Thanks!

We're going to Disney for just one day in early May. We live nearby but have only been once since we usually do Sea World. It works out we'll be able to go with my mom who hasn't been since she was little (Disneyland). She's super excited so I'm trying to figure out how we can get the most out of it.

I've been looking at dining reservations and there is still plenty available. We're going to do Magic Kingdom but I'm toying with the idea of maybe adding in Epcot since my dds enjoy but aren't crazy about MK.

Do you think it would be too much to try both parks in one day?

Where would you dine if you only had one day?

Anything else I should try to pack into our day?

Thanks!

For my family - those two parks are multiple days. We tend to go to MK the first day. EPCOT is a multi-day park. It really is that big. But we usually break it down further and do 1/2 days there and then go somewhere else.

That said, you can't beat the food at EPCOT. We always go to the Coral Reef Restaurant.

Talking to my daughters (17 and 14), agree there is nooooo way you can do those 2 parks in a single day! Unless you do nothing in either one.

But if you are going for your mom, from when she was little, the familiar things will be at MK.

I was thinking it would probably be too much. I'm thinking we will stick to MK because I know my mom will enjoy it (she sounds like a little kid on the phone :D).

Any suggestions on food? It looks like we could take the monorail to some of the resorts and eat and I think that might be a good idea to break up the day and give us a break. When we went before we just ate at quick places when we were hungry and they really weren't very good.

We have eaten at the Crystal Palace(character buffet), Cinderella's castle(character dinner) and Tony's town square(Italian no characters). All were good food, but it depends on what type of experience you want. If you are planning on the whole day at MK it would be easy enough to hop a monorail to a resort for more dining options. Epcot has a zillion more food options (approximately) but is a multi day park for us. We have a place in Kissimmee and have in the past spent all day at the park with a nice big lunch but then home or a close restaurant for dinner. We like Houlihan's just outside of Disney on 192. HTH

I would not attempt two parks in one day. By the time you leave one park, travel to another, and get inside, you've lost at least an hour or more. Plus, you'd barely even scrape the surface of either park if trying to attempt two. The only time we ever park hop is if one park is closing pretty early (like Animal Kingdom sometimes closes at 5 PM) and we still want to do parks....we'll go over to MK or somewhere that's closing around midnight.

As for dining, we enjoy the food at the Crystal Palace. We eat there for lunch each time we go to the MK. The characters are Pooh and Friends. We've been to Cinderella's Castle before, but didn't really think the extra money was worth it. It was nice though. It depends on how princess crazy your DD is.

The only time we've been able to "do" EPCOT and MK in a single day was back in December, the week BEFORE school got out for Christmas break. It was dead and we walked onto almost every ride. But we spent our time in EPCOT in the Future World, rode the rides we wanted to, and skipped the countries. We also skipped quite a few things in MK. But it was a great experience for us.

Can't really help with dining options, since we usually try to grab a quite bite wherever we happen to be close to. If I was pressed for time, I'd prefer not to spend that much time sitting down at a restaurant. But that's just me!

I would try to fit in Epcot. I'll bet as a grown-up your mom will enjoy it much more. Magic Kingdom is fun, but if she isn't too much into rides then it doesn't have a lot to offer. I know my parents liked Epcot a lot because of the educational value. Btw, I have done both parks in a day and think it is doable.

I was thinking it would probably be too much. I'm thinking we will stick to MK because I know my mom will enjoy it (she sounds like a little kid on the phone :D).

Any suggestions on food? It looks like we could take the monorail to some of the resorts and eat and I think that might be a good idea to break up the day and give us a break. When we went before we just ate at quick places when we were hungry and they really weren't very good.

You are onto something here. See if there's reservations at the Kona Cafe at the Polynesian after checking out their menu at www.allears.net. Getting a break away from the (generally lousy) food at the MK is a great idea. :)