Menu

Would it be very wrong to create a poor man's Classical Conversations?

Yes, :iagree:

That's been my experience, too, and not just with homeschoolers. People would still have to pay or contribute something. We'd be looking for families who are serious about their child's education.

In all honesty, I think many co-ops are not well attended because they're not taken seriously by the teachers, themselves. No one wants to go to a co-op where you take a walk and the moms trail behind and talk.

If there were a co op where the teachers were extremely knowledgeable about what they were teaching, and some serious work got done, then I think parents would love it. But I think most parents realize that it's a waste of their day and they have to pay for it, too. I would teach writing for free if I knew that the other classes my kids would be attending would be worth it. You scratch my back...but that's the stuff that has to be hammered out my the tutors before it even starts. The requirements of each class have to be discussed and that way the level of instruction is even across the boards.

Tibbie, I hate it when you start this stuff, it makes me want to do it, too. (I say that with great affection!)

We're in two different regions of the country! I'll start here, you'll start there, and someday somebody will write a book about how awesome we are. Really.

What about starting with more of a Cottage School approach than a CC imitation? The latter takes many invested people right off the bat, and I'm not sure I want to spend these years in meetings with others, trying to convince them of my vision. I'm very concerned about the standards for tutors, as well. I don't want to rush into anything only to find that some of my parents who are the best talkers are actually not qualified to teach grammar to children.

How to be a team player while retaining absolute control? That sounds awful, but I kind of mean it.

Cheryl Lowe of Memoria Press began by simply offering Latin classes out of her home with an eye toward taking every opportunity to branch out from there. That appeals to me. Not necessarily limiting it to Latin; I would want to offer much more, and I would want to find some other experienced Moms to be involved from the beginning.

But I do want the vision, the important decisions, and the risk to only be mine during the period of really gauging the actual need and market in my community.

I think. Thoughts?

Yeah, to be honest, I think you are describing more of a cottage school. CC does not "teach" anything. They have tutor "training", but that is only to emphasize over and over again that the tutor is there to drill the students, not to explain anything. That is for the parents to do. So the best CC tutors are the ones who can find come up with catchy ways to remember stuff, not ones who can make it all make sense. Which was very frustrating to me when I was a tutor. I'm definitely not a "games" sort of person!

There is a very well-recommended cottage school not too terribly far from us (well, far enough away that it isn't an option for us, but I did go to an informational meeting there before we started our co-op!) It's called the Classical Cottage School. There is a link on their main page called The Classical Cottage School Approach, which might be helpful to you as you think all this through.

Perhaps something like this? It doesn't outline the how so much but it outlines the principles behind what appears to be a co-op based on those lines you were talking about.

LOL, I just posted this link too! Oops! That's what I get for not reading through all the new messages! It really is a fantastic school.

that combines Classical and Charlotte Mason. Even though I was in CC for a year, I had no idea what the Foundations was like b/c I was teaching a Challenge class, so I don't think the methods I use are like CC specifically. We do Apologia science, IEW writing, Visual Latin, and Art/composer studies aligned with our history program. We use Five in a Row for little ones and incorporate Nature Study and Math games. It is small, but free, and it really helps us keep on task since we share the burden of teaching! We use Google Docs to upload our lesson plans with each other and keep the moms on track with which assignments are due. Each mom teaches a few classes, with the two groups of kids in separate rooms of the house (or outside for Nature activities) and we are done by 1pm.

Edited by Pammy

I love the idea of CC. The main thing my children are lacking is academic community. But I'll never, ever be able to afford CC, and very few homeschoolers of my acquaintance can afford it, either.

Did Leigh Bortins want to create a new model, or does she envision CC as the only community of this type? Would we get sued if we took some elements of CC and began a whole new entity?

Would it be perfectly legal but a nasty thing to do?

In my mind, CC-type organizations could have half a dozen variations within the homeschool community. I know secular/inclusive types have batted the idea around.

I have no idea about the legal ramifications, but I love the idea of AFFORDABILITY. Go for it! FWIW, I don't actually understand why CC does cost what it does, but then I only attended one open house (and was not at all impressed by it). :confused:

Have you been there or are you saying it because of reading the link, like I did?

We live about an hour away from it. Every year they have a free seminar on how to teach high school/prepare kids for college. A few of my friends and I went a few years ago, and it was really excellent. It opened my eyes to things I really hadn't considered would be possible for me to do, and that workshop was how we started our jr high/high school co-op, because we couldn't find a co-op close to us that was as rigorous as we wanted.

I think the school is very well-run, and they have such top-notch teachers--people who really are the best at what they do. Their Latin certamen teams are sooo good! If we live closer, I would most likely at least put my high school kids in there!

Yeah, to be honest, I think you are describing more of a cottage school. CC does not "teach" anything. They have tutor "training", but that is only to emphasize over and over again that the tutor is there to drill the students, not to explain anything. That is for the parents to do. So the best CC tutors are the ones who can find come up with catchy ways to remember stuff, not ones who can make it all make sense. Which was very frustrating to me when I was a tutor. I'm definitely not a "games" sort of person!

There is a very well-recommended cottage school not too terribly far from us (well, far enough away that it isn't an option for us, but I did go to an informational meeting there before we started our co-op!) It's called the Classical Cottage School. There is a link on their main page called The Classical Cottage School Approach, which might be helpful to you as you think all this through.

I looked at this group & LOVE the structure - but too far for us.