Menu

INTUNIV: If your dc has taken it with good results,

how long did it take to see an effect?

DD took it yesterday for the first time -- I of course saw sleepiness (which I was expecting) but I saw subtle things too -- no antagonizing her twin (which was probably b/c she was sleepy - ;)), but she seemed to have no difficulty making simple decisions (we were in Safeway and all 3 had to select something/anything for lunch - and she did it! Typically, she would walk out in a foul mood with nothing b/c everything she would want was unacceptable for lunch: think bag of Twizzlers - :001_huh: - or one of everything from the pastry case at the starbucks in the store :glare:.

Last night, she was visibly tired, and she went to bed at 9pm (amazing) and fell asleep. She woke a little while ago (in all fairness, we have had the most exhausting, hectic week imaginable), in a cheery mood (never happens), ate breakfast, and so far hasn't started any kerfluffles with anyone.

In the past, when we have tried a med, we do typically see an effect right away - when a med is not going to work (and there have been a few in past years, we know within three days) - and if one is going to be effective, we can tell within a few days.

So, has anyone had good results with INTUNIV almost immediately?

TIA

May I just give a warning? If she has the slightest switch to mania, please contact the doctor ASAP. My little foster kiddo (not one I have now) became so manic on it. Had the 2nd foster parent just recognized the mania before it became dangerous......Anyway, he was taken off it the day I got him but the effects were still evident. Poor kiddo!

That said, our pharmacology trainer thinks it is a good medication. And I've known two other kids on it without issue. But I still want to warn people to watch for the mania.

May I just give a warning? If she has the slightest switch to mania, please contact the doctor ASAP. My little foster kiddo (not one I have now) became so manic on it. Had the 2nd foster parent just recognized the mania before it became dangerous......Anyway, he was taken off it the day I got him but the effects were still evident. Poor kiddo!

That said, our pharmacology trainer thinks it is a good medication. And I've known two other kids on it without issue. But I still want to warn people to watch for the mania.

Yes, we've had wonderful results with Intuniv for DD11. Any of these meds can have a bad effect. My DD had a similar reaction to Vyvanse.

Thank you both.

Pamela: Thank you very much -- I have been watching for sleepiness, etc swince it is a blood prssur med -- I will watch for mania -- thank you -- excellent advice!:)

littleWMN --Thanks -- good to hear. Vyvanse worked for us for 2.5 years -- our 'bad' ones were Focalin for dd, strattera for dd. Vyvanse and Adderall worked for us. I really, however, wanted to try something that wouldn't affect appetite and growth. Twins have been off meds for a year, but it is time to go back on. Prior to that, they had been on them for 4 years.

yeah....**sigh*** worked great when we could get him to take it (or sometimes trick him into taking-by hiding in pudding/etc) but he got to where he wouldn't eat anything we would give him in the mornings when he found out about the meds--and then he started having anxiety about swallowing the pill (even though it was tiny if I remember)----so we are doing the patch now (daytrana)

Intuniv worked well and quickly for Ds and the drowsiness seems to be less of an issue over time. It worked so well for DS that I started taking it as well- I had NO patience before starting this medicine. Now I am way sleepier than DS (maybe I need a lower dose) but I have so much more patience. I wish I'd started it years ago. (btw, We both take this in combination with other medications for other issues.)

yeah....**sigh*** worked great when we could get him to take it (or sometimes trick him into taking-by hiding in pudding/etc) but he got to where he wouldn't eat anything we would give him in the mornings when he found out about the meds--and then he started having anxiety about swallowing the pill (even though it was tiny if I remember)----so we are doing the patch now (daytrana)

I had great hopes for it. Unfortunately, ds's blood pressure plummeted when they upped the dose.

Intuniv worked well and quickly for Ds and the drowsiness seems to be less of an issue over time. It worked so well for DS that I started taking it as well- I had NO patience before starting this medicine. Now I am way sleepier than DS (maybe I need a lower dose) but I have so much more patience. I wish I'd started it years ago. (btw, We both take this in combination with other medications for other issues.)

Thank you all so much.

DD has not had a good day. Manic? Hmmmmm, maybe? (I am not being sarcastic -- she just seemed to be set off so easily by everything -- which she normally is but this was way more than normal.) She didn't seem to even have a nanosecond of sleepiness.

There were other things, though, that were good: she sat and typed a presentation for cc (she has never done that before), she straightened her desk and straightened her closet - things that don't normally happen.

I had forgotten about the daytrona patch -- is daytrona a stimulant? maybe i need to re-visit daytrona.

I don't know what to do about the morning -- i don't want her to have another day like today and if it was caused by the intuniv, well, I can't risk that.

The wrong dose did just what you're describing to my son. He had grogginess for a few days at every level, but when it got to be too high (3 mg... which is 'supposed' to be right for his size), he was a walking, grumpy zombie. I brought him back down to 2, and he's done fine. It's not as good as Vyvanse, but it doesn't mess with his appetite and allows him to focus when he wants, so that's good enough for now.

The wrong dose did just what you're describing to my son. He had grogginess for a few days at every level, but when it got to be too high (3 mg... which is 'supposed' to be right for his size), he was a walking, grumpy zombie. I brought him back down to 2, and he's done fine. It's not as good as Vyvanse, but it doesn't mess with his appetite and allows him to focus when he wants, so that's good enough for now.

Elise: Thank you so much -- I wondered if a lower dose might work better for her. Vyvanse worked well for both twins for a couple of years, but when it stopped, it stopped.

I also wondered if giving it to her while she was still kind of in bed, sleepy, might help -- maybe an hour b4 she gets up. I hate to give up on it too quickly -- it's not like when she tried focalin or strattra -- those were horrible -- :banghead: -- that is all.

Yes, Focalin was a NIGHTMARE for us. When it wore off, I swear he was possessed. Strattera just didn't work. At all.

My doctor suggested giving the Intuniv at night if there was ongoing grogginess. Would swapping the time she takes it help, perhaps? I mean, eventually it gets into the system and stays there at a therapeutic level, but if she needs to sleep off some of the earlier effects... it's a thought, anyway.

Yes, Focalin was a NIGHTMARE for us. When it wore off, I swear he was possessed. Strattera just didn't work. At all.

My doctor suggested giving the Intuniv at night if there was ongoing grogginess. Would swapping the time she takes it help, perhaps? I mean, eventually it gets into the system and stays there at a therapeutic level, but if she needs to sleep off some of the earlier effects... it's a thought, anyway.[/QUOTE]

dh and I were wondering the same thing aloud a little while ago. She is going to bed and falling asleep effortlessly with the intuniv - which I don't think she has ever done.

Maybe if I gave it to her at night and she went to sleep, it she might have a better day.

dh mentioned the same thing that you do above -- we hate to give up on it b4 she gts to a thrapeutic level.

Thank you - certainly things worth considering.:)