Menu

Sizes of plastic vs wooden outdoor playhouses

We are looking for an outdoor playhouse for our kids (5 and 2 yrs). We kind of want plastic for now since it is easier to assemble and we can find lots secondhand on Craigslist.

BUT - they all seem so small! Like 3'x4' interior footprint (or smaller). That is fine for DD, but DS can't even stand up in most of them (he is 4' tall and the interior roof often peaks at that, with the door being at about 3-3.5'.).

Are plastic playhouses just usually smaller? Do we have to go with wood to get one with a bigger footprint and higher roof? We probably want more like a 4x5 interior, with a 4.5' peak roof inside.

Thoughts?

want to do some type of "clubhouse"/playhouse for my ds --looked online but definately can't afford those I've seen some wooden "house" type ones that are $1000s-and the plastic ones are too small :confused: ---I figure that hubby can make one that he would enjoy just as much-now it's just getting dh to do it :glare: I figured he could get some treated lumber so it wouldn't rot and kind of make a big box like shape and put some windows in and paint it all kinds of fun colors and maybe have some things inside....

Yes the plastic ones are all small - we had one for DD but she outgrew it by about age 3.5.

Depending on where you are - sometimes you can find used wood ones free or cheap on craigslist. I know I see them a lot, but I'm in a high turnover military college city.

Another option is to get a small storage shed, then custom build the inside of it into a playhouse. Easy to move later if needed too.

want to do some type of "clubhouse"/playhouse for my ds --looked online but definately can't afford those I've seen some wooden "house" type ones that are $1000s-and the plastic ones are too small :confused: ---I figure that hubby can make one that he would enjoy just as much-now it's just getting dh to do it :glare: I figured he could get some treated lumber so it wouldn't rot and kind of make a big box like shape and put some windows in and paint it all kinds of fun colors and maybe have some things inside....

Heh, we were gonna do that, too, but all these years later, it is still unpainted. That's cool, tho', because their friends decorate and redecorate with chalk all the time! (yep, teens, lol)

We do have a window (just cut a hole and then screwed a framed window salvaged off an old buffet on top), and some scrap carpeting, an old steering wheel, a mail box, and the row seat taken from my scrapped van. Yeah, that seat seemed like a much better idea when they were 10 or so, lol, don't know if that's gonna stay much longer!