Menu

Add TruthQuest to HOD Bigger?

oneddmanybooks

I am considering adding TruthQuest to HOD Bigger, or dropping Bigger history and just doing TruthQuest American History.

I love certain aspects of HOD. I think longingly about Preparing; for history, Preparing seems perfect for dd. (In another thread, someone said their ds didn’t like the “pray this prayer†part; I’m certain dd would feel the same). I’m disappointed in the history and Bible aspects of Bigger.

Note: for those researching HOD, I should point out that most of our problems with HOD stem from dd being advanced in certain areas. She is such a voracious reader and learner. Dd’s favorite books right now are 4th-7th grade level. We love the poetry and hymns in Bigger. We would probably like DITHOR but haven’t really gotten started with it.

Re Bible in Bigger: Dd memorizes easily, so that’s not the problem. I think that dd is getting bored with memorizing from Proverbs. I am going to look for some verses about God’s greatness, His love and grace, heaven, etc. and memorize those either instead of Bigger verses, or in addition to them. Dd has a great interest in the Bible. I regularly find her reading kids’ devo books just because she wants to read them. Lately she’s been reading “Heaven for Kids†(not sure about the title?), so I think she would enjoy verses like John 14: 1-3.

Re history in Bigger: Dd would prefer LOTS more reading. I am not fond of the Eggleston books, although I really like most of HOD’s book choices. Sigh. We are using a few of the extension books. Maybe I should get “A Child’s Story of America†and just rip out some of the problem areas toward the end of the book. It would pain me to rip out of a book (dd would be horrified if she saw me doing it!). But I certainly do not want her reading about “alternative†lifestyles, etc. I’ve read reviews, but haven’t seen the actual book.

One possible plan is to continue with American history (mainly with TruthQuest) until Thanksgiving 2012, then start HOD Preparing in January of 2013. Dd would be 8.5 years old that January. I plan to start a different thread about another possibility: a local one-day-a-week classical Christian school that uses Veritas Press, Apologia Science, etc. In many ways VP seems like a good fit for dd. But the next few guides in HOD look SO wonderful.

I should point out that we are blessed to have an incredible library system here. I do not think I would have any problem finding many of the TruthQuest books.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

Note: please excuse typos. A cat is often between me and the screen. J

ETA: I should have mentioned that we are only in Unit 11 of Bigger (we started late and have been doing about an unit per week).

Edited by oneddmanybooks

I'm :bigear: as well. My girls are combined into Beyond this year, but I plan to have my oldest skip Bigger and move into Preparing for next year. I want to have her go through some of the history from Bigger over the summer, but I'm not sure yet about the options in Bigger. Ideally, I'd like to just use 1 book that would be a good representation of all the books listed. I haven't had time to research yet, so maybe there will be some good suggestions on this thread.

Tell me more about the "alternative lifestyles" pages in A Child's Story of America??? I hadn't heard about that yet.

FWIW, we plan to use Apologia science instead of HOD's choices for the sake of combining my dc in at least 1 subject.

Jan:

It's funny that your issue with Bigger is the reading/history aspect, because I was a little worried about the science. My dc both have been so interested in nature & anything with animals, that I feel they are very advanced in that area. My plan is to try the science the way it is, but add Apologia (which we love) if they aren't getting enough.

Have you had your dd do the extensions with Bigger? I had thought of that, since my dd will be on the older end when we start.

I'm :bigear: as well. My girls are combined into Beyond this year, but I plan to have my oldest skip Bigger and move into Preparing for next year. I want to have her go through some of the history from Bigger over the summer, but I'm not sure yet about the options in Bigger. Ideally, I'd like to just use 1 book that would be a good representation of all the books listed. I haven't had time to research yet, so maybe there will be some good suggestions on this thread.

Tell me more about the "alternative lifestyles" pages in A Child's Story of America??? I hadn't heard about that yet.

FWIW, we plan to use Apologia science instead of HOD's choices for the sake of combining my dc in at least 1 subject.

If you go to CBD, Amazon, etc., you can find reviews of "A Child's Story of America." One of the reviewers seems to think it's a fairly good book, until you hit the year 1950. I don't want to cover recent American history yet, so perhaps we could just use part of the book. I don't want to use a black marker - dd's curiosity will drive her (and me) crazy. ;)

Jan:

It's funny that your issue with Bigger is the reading/history aspect, because I was a little worried about the science. My dc both have been so interested in nature & anything with animals, that I feel they are very advanced in that area. My plan is to try the science the way it is, but add Apologia (which we love) if they aren't getting enough.

Have you had your dd do the extensions with Bigger? I had thought of that, since my dd will be on the older end when we start.

I forgot to mention science, probably because that was the first thing we dropped from Bigger. We didn't like it, but some people love it.

Re extensions - I'll have to check the schedule again, but i think the main extension in the first couple of months is Child's Story of America. I wasn't too sure about buying that, but I might get it. It's not very expensive so if I hate it, I won't have wasted too much money.

Definitely relook at the extensions. We don't use Child's Story of America at all and there's things for us to read extra everyday. My dc aren't in the age range for the extensions, so I didn't add that book or the science that runs throughout the year. There is a plan of work for the child to do with the extensions each day too. Love the extension books.:)

I love certain aspects of HOD. I think longingly about Preparing; for history, Preparing seems perfect for dd. (In another thread, someone said their ds didn’t like the “pray this prayer†part; I’m certain dd would feel the same).

You have been given some good advice from the other posters, but I just wanted to say something about this, as it seems such a little thing to stop using a programme for. If you let your children know that don't have to do that part, but pray from their heart, they aren't going to be missing anything. Not saying that you are going to stop using HOD because of this, but it just seems such a minor issue.

I hope you find a way to continue using HOD or at least the aspects you like of it.

God bless you on your journey.:D

Michelle

If you are wanting to add in more reading to Bigger, instead of purchasing Truthquest (which I'm sure is great, but I haven't used it), I would recommend purchasing All Through the Ages by Christine Miller. It is basically a big booklist for all ages through all periods in history. It would be a great resource to have on hand as you study through any HOD level to add more reading if your dd wanted it.

Here is a link: http://www.christianbook.com/a-guerber-all-through-the-ages/christine-miller/pd/667100?product_redirect=1&Ntt=667100&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP

HTH.

If you are wanting to add in more reading to Bigger, instead of purchasing Truthquest (which I'm sure is great, but I haven't used it), I would recommend purchasing All Through the Ages by Christine Miller. It is basically a big booklist for all ages through all periods in history. It would be a great resource to have on hand as you study through any HOD level to add more reading if your dd wanted it.

Here is a link: http://www.christianbook.com/a-guerber-all-through-the-ages/christine-miller/pd/667100?product_redirect=1&Ntt=667100&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP

HTH.

:iagree: What a great idea too!!!

I adore and used Truthquest for 4+ years, BUT I wouldn't use it and HOD. Pick the history you want and stick with it. For older kids in high school, I think the TQ guides can be great just for reading the commentary. Younger kids, however, either do HOD or do TQ. And, honestly, if you drop the history and science in HOD, I see no reason to use HOD.

For an advanced reader, I'd add the extension books, plus more, if needed.

I also wouldn't skip the verses if you continue with HOD. They're there to connect to the rest of the week. You can always add more verses, longer passages, etc, but I wouldn't skip any. If you don't like reciting a prayer, just have her pray.

I adore and used Truthquest for 4+ years, BUT I wouldn't use it and HOD. Pick the history you want and stick with it. For older kids in high school, I think the TQ guides can be great just for reading the commentary. Younger kids, however, either do HOD or do TQ. And, honestly, if you drop the history and science in HOD, I see no reason to use HOD.

I also wouldn't skip the verses if you continue with HOD. They're there to connect to the rest of the week. You can always add more verses, longer passages, etc, but I wouldn't skip any. If you don't like reciting a prayer, just have her pray.

Why did you switch from Truthquest to HOD? I'm trying to decide between the two programs...

Bethany

You have been given some good advice from the other posters, but I just wanted to say something about this, as it seems such a little thing to stop using a programme for. If you let your children know that don't have to do that part, but pray from their heart, they aren't going to be missing anything. Not saying that you are going to stop using HOD because of this, but it just seems such a minor issue.

I hope you find a way to continue using HOD or at least the aspects you like of it.

God bless you on your journey.:D

Michelle

Michelle, I agree!! I would never drop a program because of one little detail that is easily changed. :001_smile:

HTH.

Oh my goodness! I can't believe I forgot I have this! It's now sitting right here, so I can start reserving books at our library. Thanks!:)

I think you are right about choosing one or the other. Simpler is usually better. Oh, I messed up when I said we had dropped science. We do usually read the books (the John Audubon was great!) but I don't have her do the notebooking.

I am planning to continue with the verses. But I'm going to change it to 2-3 times a week, not everyday. I think that will help.

Thanks for your good advice. :)

Jan, I think your daughter will be thrilled with many of the extension books. We have done some of them in our own time and in our own way.

FWIW, here is a list of what we've done so far.

Pedro's Journal (Read aloud and son liked it, but I didn't feel it was historically accurate)

Pocahontas and the Strangers (Independent read - a favorite)

Almost Home (Independent read - did not finish)

The New Americans - Colonial Times: 1620-1689 (Read aloud - Good, but pictures were quite graphic)

Ben and Me (Read aloud and son liked it, but I found it ridiculously silly)

Guns for General Washington (Independent read - absolute favorite so far)

I plan to order more of the extensions and see how they go.

We have also felt the same way about Bigger's Science as you. The One Small Square series are ok, but much more enjoyable if you can actually have a "one small square". We loved the Seashore one as we live on the ocean and the weather was warm. We are now onto Woods and the weather isn't very favorable. John Audubon was a delight though and I think we'll enjoy A Pioneer Sampler.

All Through the Ages has been on my wish list for a while.

I would love to hear which books you reserved ...:001_smile:

If you are just looking to add in additional reading and/or crafts, the best site is A Book in Time. They list books chronologically sorted by age (from K-high school) & even post a little review of each one. They also have links to maps, timelines, and online games to play.

It is a free site, which makes it even better!

Another site is Paula's Archives (there are lists of literature & movies for History & Science & Math).