Menu

Can anyone compare R&S and CLE Math?

Edwena

A little history first: I started my dd on MUS because that's what I used with ds and he flourishes with it. It was a mess, so I tried MM and it too was not working. She needed more review than either of these programs provide. I was reading Daisy's blog and she was talking about R & S and I thought I'd give it a try. We have been using R & S all year and yes it drills and drills and drills, but dd is remembering her facts, there's no tears, and it just seems to be working beautifully. So why am I thinking about CLE? The workbooks and plus it sounds like as the dc gets older it's written more to the student. Right now I spend a good amount of time teaching dd a lesson, plus she has her work in her workbooks. Does CLE drill the facts as much? Should I even be looking at something else when the thing we're using is working? I would definitely finish out the year with R & S but thought about trying CLE next year. Anyone have opinions or advice?

My opinion is don't fix what isn't broken. :)

I agree with the pp, CLE is very spiral and different from R&S. CLE seems to have a wider scope & sequence with how they introduce geometry and algebra concepts very early on. R&S is more traditional in its approach in that they wait until kids have mastered the basics before introducing those other concepts.

CLE does drill math facts, but I like the way R&S does it better. R&S teaches math facts by familes or triplets, CLE *seems* a little more random to me.

I think both programs lend themselves well to independence, especially in the later years.

If you do switch to CLE next year, make sure you do the placement test. You may not be able to just go right into the next grade since CLE has a different s&s.

Not sure if anything I said will help you or not :), but both are good programs. I personally prefer R&S. :)

I have used one year of both, R&S 6 and CLE 7. Both are excellent programs. The student can work more independently in CLE, at least in the higher-elementary grades. CLE is extremely spiral, but if you do the oral review in R&S, which is one of its best features, R&S also includes a lot of built-in review.

You can't go wrong with either program. CLE is working for us now because I needed something my 11 yo can do mostly on her own. I also like the workbook format, as it is easier to grade, and the student does not have to write the problems out herself.

Terri

Thanks, ladies, for the input. It's very helpful.

Another question. Dd will be in 3rd next year and R&S suggests them writing the answer on separate paper. I thought I just letting her write in the student textbook. It would be quicker for her. I thought of moving to the separate paper in 4th grade. What's your opinion on this?

Thanks, ladies, for the input. It's very helpful.

Another question. Dd will be in 3rd next year and R&S suggests them writing the answer on separate paper. I thought I just letting her write in the student textbook. It would be quicker for her. I thought of moving to the separate paper in 4th grade. What's your opinion on this?

Yes, lots of poeple do this! Especially with the textbooks not being very expensive, it's easy to just let your kids write in the books. Although I've heard it gets harder in the upper grades because the print is smaller and more packed in, so there's not as much room for the kids to write. I'm not sure though, we're not there yet. :)

I used R&S with my son from the 1st grade level partway through the 6th grade level. It was the perfect program for him and I'm glad we used it for as long as we did. Once we got to into the 6th grade text, I realized the 7th and 8th grade material was very similar to the 6th and that not much would be new over the next couple of years. Also, there is little in the way of geometry or algebra concepts in any of the R&S levels. At that point, we decided to give CLE a try since I felt like my son would benefit from the gentle introduction of those concepts. (I have to admit, I was also dying to have him use a workbook since he has such a terrible time with writing.)

All in all, I've been very happy with CLE for him. The one thing I really miss about R&S is all the oral drill and review. That was really great for him and got him thinking in a way that CLE doesn't. Sometimes I still pull out my R&S books and do some of that with him when we have time.

So, both R&S and CLE are great, but I am glad I did not switch to CLE until we did because I really think he needed R&S up until that point.

My daughter, on the other hand, has used CLE since 2nd grade and is currently using the 500 level and it has been a perfect fit. Every child is different, of course.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

The biggest tie breaker is what works for your child. If R&S fits, don't mess with it! I am using R&S now with my younger 2 boys and it works well for them. I tried CLE but got glazed looks so we came back to R&S The day their wkbks arrived, they cheered and did 7 lessons on their own before I stopped them!

My older 2 switched to CLE after R&S 3 and started at CLE 300 (this is like 4th grade) for many of the reasons you listed. Our biggest reason was all the copying. I was also pregnant so self teaching became a HUGE lifesaver. They are finishing up 500 now and place in Saxon Algebra 1/2!

I would let her write in the R&S book (3rd is the last one with enough space) then give her the CLE placement test and go from there, where ever 'there' is. CLE has a drill set for every lesson. Mine finally learned their facts this way. If she flounders with CLE, go back to R&S. Some kids need that mastery over spiral.

Both are good math programs. R&S is mastery, where as CLE is spiral.

CLE has a good amount of drill so kids really can't forget. There is always review. Its very balanced.

I always say don't fix it if it ain't broke. But if the lessons are dragging you down you could always give it a try. CLE is inexpensive enough you can buy a couple of workbooks to see if it works or not. That way your not out a ton of money either.

Be sure to have your child take the diagnostic test. CLE's scope and sequence is much different. So don't be shocked if she has to go back a level or two. Totally normal. Just start where she needs to be and go from there.

I've never seen CLE, but R&S is working well here. My 6th grader is technically ready for prealgebra, but I wanted to give her one more semester of solid math before moving on. She is finishing up R&S 7th now, and after that we'll probably do Lial's BCM for a little more review, or I'll go ahead and put her in prealgebra and just take it slow. She is very mathy, and I have always found R&S math to be great for her, though she does move through it quicker than my middle dd. Anna has always had excellent math scores on her yearly standardized testing.

My middle dd is not as mathy, and in fact, last week I was considering switching her math curriculum because she was so frustrated. BUT this week, the multiplication and division light bulb clicked, lol! I truly don't believe it was a curriculum problem, but rather that she just needed more time.

I also wanted to tell you that my girls write in the math book since there are no workbooks. Well, Anna wasn't able to do that in 6th or this year in the 7th grade books because the problems are longer, but she did up until then. The books are so inexpensive that I don't feel bad about it at all.

Anyway, best of luck in your decision. I think math is probably one of those things that once you find what works, it's really best to stick with it. That's the advice I got from some moms here, and it is good advice. That way there are no gaps. You will find people who don't believe R&S is a good program because it moves a little slower in the younger years. That's because they really cement the facts. From 4th grade and up, it really amps up! :001_smile:

Thanks, ladies. You have been so helpful. I pulled at next year's stuff (3rd grade) and there is room for her to write in there. Maybe I'm just babying her, but it seems like a lot to write for 3rd. Plus we do HOD and she's starting Preparing next year and the writing really ramps up.

My dd is a wonderful reader. She reads way beyond grade level. She's excellent in English as well. Math is just something where she needs all the repetition. MUS and MM didn't have enough. MUS works wonderful for my ds.

I guess my thoughts are that if it's behind then it's behind. I don't want her behind, but if the other things weren't working for her she was even more behind. KWIM?

I asked her yesterday if she wanted to try another Math and she said no that she loved her Math. Before we found R&S her answer was always yes. She had no confidence before.

I still like the looks of CLE, but if R&S is working for her, then I need to forget about what I like and use what is working. KWIM? I just needed to hear it from some others.:)