Menu

Cross post: Help me pick out literature (readers and read alouds) PLEASE!

RhondaM.

Ok...I need your best, most adventurous books!

My dh has a business trip to California and we are going with him!:thumbup:

This is such an amazing opportunity for us because before I ever knew about this trip I had bought WP Sea and Sky which covers Oceanography and history w/ a nautical theme (for the first 18 weeks), plus I bought some additional Marine Biology material for my 15 year old. I never dreamed that I'd be plopped down in Dana Point (1.2 miles from the Ocean Institute and the ocean!) for 31/2 to 41/2 months! You cannot begin to know how excited I am getting now that the arrangments have been made and are finalized.

The only thing I did not buy with WP was the books. We'd read quite a few of them so I just didn't bother.

My 15 year old was going to do fantasy literature this year...but I think we may save that for the 2nd semester of school and do adventure novels for our 1st semester.

I need some really great book suggestions as my oldest does not really like to read. It can't be dry. It needs to be fun. Something with some sort of nautical theme. Pirates are good, journeys are good...just 3-4 book titles.

My 7th grader will be easier to please. He reads faster so I can really use a lot of suggestions for him.

And a few for a 2nd grader (she is an excellent reader) would be nice.

And then I need some read alouds.

Oh...and what about for ME! What are some fantastic beach reads? Or rather, pool side reads, since I won't take kids to the beach while dh is working.

Can you guys help me with suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :)

I second:

Treasure Island

Stowaway

and I'll throw in:

The Broken Blade.

These are NOT classics and are fairly new series, but I let my kids read "book candy" every once in a while and my son thought these were great. They are historical fiction, kinda sorta:

The Golden Hour, The Hour of the Cobra, and The Hour of the Outlaw

Has your 15 y/o read the Lord of the Rings trilogy? Talk about adventure! I read all three books 2 years ago and actually kept a reading journal as I read. They are truly books I would be able to read over and over again and enjoy them each time.

Treasure Island

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch

Stowaway

Sounds like fun!

Rhonda

These are all good books...but we've read them. But your suggestion for Treasure Island did make me think of a book I've been wanting to check out. I think it is called The Coral Island or something like that. Thanks for reminding me. :)

I second:

Treasure Island

Stowaway

and I'll throw in:

The Broken Blade.

These are NOT classics and are fairly new series, but I let my kids read "book candy" every once in a while and my son thought these were great. They are historical fiction, kinda sorta:

The Golden Hour, The Hour of the Cobra, and The Hour of the Outlaw

Has your 15 y/o read the Lord of the Rings trilogy? Talk about adventure! I read all three books 2 years ago and actually kept a reading journal as I read. They are truly books I would be able to read over and over again and enjoy them each time.

I can't remember what The Broken Blade is about, but I do remember that it was one of those books I'd always intended to get around to having my kids read.

Lord of the Rings is on our list for this year, yes. My 15 year old is doing some fantasy and sci-fi and probably some horror this year.

I haven't heard of the other three. I'll check them out.

Thanks.

I can't remember what The Broken Blade is about, but I do remember that it was one of those books I'd always intended to get around to having my kids read.

I did not read it myself, but it is from Sonlight's core 7 readers. I gave it to my son and he replied after the first chapter: "Well, someone has already died, so I think it is gonna be good." :) It's action/adventure and the picture on the front of the book, looked like pirates (or gruff looking sailors) in a boat! :) Like my in depth description???:D

I haven't heard of the other three. I'll check them out.

Thanks.

The "Hour" trilogy series is a series our librarian recommended to us. It is kids who travel back in time and go on adventures. It is an adventure/comedy with an historic twist. The first one is set in Paris in the 1700s, the second one in ancient Egypt, and the third one is set in the American west. The author is Maiya Williams. :)

I did not read it myself, but it is from Sonlight's core 7 readers. I gave it to my son and he replied after the first chapter: "Well, someone has already died, so I think it is gonna be good."

Oh how funny! Sounds like a winner. I'll have to get it.

The Hour trilogy sounds like something my 7th grader would enjoy. I'll look for them.

Thanks again.

For yourself and the older kids, I'd recommend California Fault by Thurston Clarke.

Here's a blurb:

California has always symbolized the good life, but social problems and natural disasters have tarnished the image of the Golden State. To find out what happened to the California Dream, Clarke sets off on a remarkable journey down the San Andreas fault searching for earthquakes and good news. From the "sensitive" whose headaches predict earthquakes with uncanny precision to a determined dreamer at the Salton Sea who hopes someday to build a blue-collar resort along the abandoned shores, Clarke introduces us to a memorable cast of eccentrics, asking each the provocative question: What is it like living in a place that--no matter how beautiful--might suddenly, while you opened the cereal, combed your hair, or bathed the baby, strike you dead?

It's more than 10 years old and in some places a bit out of date, but still a great read.

How about these:

Raiders from the Sea (Lois Walfrid Johnson)

Swallows and Amazons (Arthur Ransome)

Tiff

Raiders of the Sea sounds so familiar. Either WP uses it in their booklist or we've read it. I'll have to check.

Would you belive I've had Swallows and Amazons on my bookshelf for YEARS and can't even get my kid who reads everything in sight to read it.

Maybe I should do it as a read aloud. What do you think? Would it make a good one?

Thanks!

For yourself and the older kids, I'd recommend California Fault by Thurston Clarke.

Here's a blurb:

California has always symbolized the good life, but social problems and natural disasters have tarnished the image of the Golden State. To find out what happened to the California Dream, Clarke sets off on a remarkable journey down the San Andreas fault searching for earthquakes and good news. From the "sensitive" whose headaches predict earthquakes with uncanny precision to a determined dreamer at the Salton Sea who hopes someday to build a blue-collar resort along the abandoned shores, Clarke introduces us to a memorable cast of eccentrics, asking each the provocative question: What is it like living in a place that--no matter how beautiful--might suddenly, while you opened the cereal, combed your hair, or bathed the baby, strike you dead?

It's more than 10 years old an in some places a bit out of date, but still a great read.

Looks interesting. Thanks!

I just got a book from the library that is sea faring fantasy. I have not gotten too far into it, but the author, Robin Hobb, and the series, The Liveship Traders, were highly recommended. I believe it is a three book series, and they seem pretty thick, but if he likes fantasy, it may be a good way to integrate the two. As to beach reads, it depends on what kind of books you like. I always really liked John Grisham for beach reads, though The Chamber is still my favorite, and I know he has put out a lot of books since. The No. 1 Detective Agency series comes highly praised by my mom, who has good taste except for her romance novel addiction, and Janet Evanovich is nice and "fluffy". HTH

I just got a book from the library that is sea faring fantasy. I have not gotten too far into it, but the author, Robin Hobb, and the series, The Liveship Traders, were highly recommended. I believe it is a three book series, and they seem pretty thick, but if he likes fantasy, it may be a good way to integrate the two. As to beach reads, it depends on what kind of books you like. I always really liked John Grisham for beach reads, though The Chamber is still my favorite, and I know he has put out a lot of books since. The No. 1 Detective Agency series comes highly praised by my mom, who has good taste except for her romance novel addiction, and Janet Evanovich is nice and "fluffy". HTH

A sea faring fantasy sounds fun! I'll look for these.

I do like Grisham...especially his earlier works. Some of his latter works have not interested me. I'll check into Janet Evanovich.

Thanks!

The Hornblower series is all about the English navy during the Peninsular War with France/Napoleon. It's really great.

The other series is written by O'Brien (or is it spelled O'Brian). It's the series that the movie "Master and Commander" was based upon. It's supposed to be a very good adventure series and very boy friendly.