Menu

Anyone agree or disagree with "One only needs the teacher's guide (text) for WWE"

BethG

You can use one or the other, either the instructor text or the workbooks. The same info is in both, as far as I know, but the workbook was designed to "open and go". All the assignments are planned out for you. The instructor text gives you the guidelines for each week along with some sample assignments, but you choose the passages. This is what I do.

So yes, you don't need both. It just depends on how you want to use the program.

The Writing With Ease "text" is a comprehensive discussion of writing instruction for 1-4th grades. It tells about the philosphy, the why of structuring writing lessons as this program does. It also contains sample "lessons" for years 1-4. You could use those guidelines and choose your own narration/dictation passages, for sure. However, if you are (lazy/busy/choose your own subject complement ;)) like me, it is so great to be able to just open-and-go with the workbooks. The workbooks contain a teacher's manual in the front half, and the student pages in the back half, and they are scripted, and the passages are pre-selected. It makes it so this program gets *done*, consistently, every day. I find that invaluable at this point.

The Writing With Ease "text" is a comprehensive discussion of writing instruction for 1-4th grades. It tells about the philosphy, the why of structuring writing lessons as this program does. It also contains sample "lessons" for years 1-4. You could use those guidelines and choose your own narration/dictation passages, for sure. However, if you are (lazy/busy/choose your own subject complement ;)) like me, it is so great to be able to just open-and-go with the workbooks. The workbooks contain a teacher's manual in the front half, and the student pages in the back half, and they are scripted, and the passages are pre-selected. It makes it so this program gets *done*, consistently, every day. I find that invaluable at this point.

I agree. With my baby being so small, I find it easier to just open and go right now. Eventually I want to move to just the text. We're at WWE 2 Week 19 at the moment, and when we get the hang of this, I anticipate going fully with the text, writing narrations (on smaller lined paper), and having ds watch, and taking all of them from our readings. Most likely this will begin with WWE 3 (4th Year, next year).

Although I do really appreciate the open and go aspect, I do find that it gets a bit confusing to listen to many things at once. I could have him narrate and dictate across the curriculum then.

It really depends on how open and go you want it to be. The workbook means zero prep, you simply read the passage and complete the worksheet.

The teacher book doesn't give a passage for every single lesson, and has no worksheets - you choose your own passage to read (possibly from some other literature you're already using) according to the guidelines of that lesson, and have your student write on a seperate piece of paper.

The teacher book also has some extra information in it about teaching writing which I found very interesting.

FTR - I used WWE1 workbook, then just the teachers book.

You can use one or the other, either the instructor text or the workbooks. The same info is in both, as far as I know, but the workbook was designed to "open and go". All the assignments are planned out for you. The instructor text gives you the guidelines for each week along with some sample assignments, but you choose the passages. This is what I do.

So yes, you don't need both. It just depends on how you want to use the program.

:iagree: I use the text only, as a guide. This way we can use whatever else we are reading, and therefore my kids are more engaged. For instance, we're reading a book on a Viking king as part of our informal history studies right now, so for WWE1 this morning I just read the next couple passages, asked the kids a few comprehension questions, and asked what the most important thing about that passage was. I wrote down what DS said, then he copied it. It is fairly open-and-go in this way for me in that I can do it on the fly. My DS has low tolerance for workbook pages so for me it's better to prioritize workbook use for where it is most effective for him (math).

DD suggested that I add that a benefit of using the workbook is that it has introduced us to some great books that she has enjoyed reading - she'll read one or two excerpts for the narration exercise, then ask me to get the book from the library so she can read the whole story. That's been a good thing for us, too.