Menu

Am I missing something-Legos?

I was wondering if anyone knew what is going on with Legos. My husband and I purchased two plain brick sets of Duplos (#6176) for Christmas for our two older boys (almost 4 and almost 2). The boys just love them! We were looking into buying another set or two so that they would have more to play with for our son's birthday. We paid $10 for a 80 piece box on Amazon before Christmas and today the exact same box was $43!:confused: I looked on the Lego website and when I check the price there it says that the page cannot be found for the the price of the set. Also, Fat Brain Toys where I have purchased some things in the past is out of a lot of Duplo sets. Am I missing something? Did something happen and I am not aware of it? Does anyone know where to buy Legos at a cheaper price? Is there a better time to buy them? I just feel confused!:confused:

It's possible that the specific set you bought has been retired and that there's another one filling that niche. They usually retire set numbers at the end of the year, and while stores like Target and the like tend to either leave older sets at list or reduce the price, specialty retailers often increase the price.

I'd try the official online Lego store and just see what duplos they have. The Lego Education is worth checking, too-and I'd also suggest checking used. Lots of plain bricks, as opposed to specialty pieces, are often very cheap on Ebay, and duplos regularly appear at the local Goodwill store here.

Most stores do not replace much inventory between Christmas and Tax season. I would wait a few months and then check back.

If there are any kids consignment stores in your area, they are a great resource for the larger Lego style items. Craigslist and Freecycle may be options too.

$10 for an 80 piece set on Amazon must have been a special deal. I have never, ever, seen duplos that cheap. The $43 is actually much closer to what I would expect for a set that size--so just count yourself lucky for getting the Deal of the Decade on your first purchase! Then look for what you can find used if you can't afford the regular prices.

--SArah

The old sets tend to get clearenced right around Christmas, and the 2012 sets are just coming out. Legos are a hot item, and they are very expensive most of the year. Target has a toy clearence in Aug., and you can get some good dealson Legos then, but I try not to buy any between now and then.