Menu

Are HS'ng and returning to college compatible?

I went to work straight out of high school. I was not ready for college and dropped out after one semester. I feel as though I was successful without a degree. I was a recruiter for a large staffing company and I made decent money doing a job I loved. Had I wanted to, I could have easily supported myself on my own. When I had my first baby they tried to get me to go back but we were able to swing it financially for me to be a SAHM, so I did and haven't looked back.

DH would like to have the cushion of me being able to work while the kids are in college. In order to do this successfully he feels as though I need to return to get my college degree. College isn't even on my radar at the moment as we are just starting HSng.

I am curious though if anyone has BTDT ... how did you make it work? How do you even motivate yourself to do something like that? I was all gun-ho to go back about a year ago, but we put it off. I'm also facing the fact now that when I do go back to work that I'll be competing for jobs with people half my age... is it even worth going back to school knowing that? I value education, but school in general is not something I enjoyed. If it was something I loved, I excelled, if I didn't enjoy it I barely squeaked by. I can't imagine putting myself through years of college and then having to take a retail job because I can't get one in my area of interest. I love working retail so it wouldn't be a big deal to work retail, but I wouldn't want to settle for that if I had training in something else...

I can't be the only one on here in this position. I also have to wonder if the whole degree thing is to validate that I'm actually qualified to HS... but that's another thread entirely. DH knows I'm capable or he wouldn't be allowing this, but without a college degree under my belt I feel as though I have less respect from my college-educated peers. DH's family is also very well educated - they all have Master's and PHD's...

if you've made it his far I congratulate you.

I just graduated from graduate school. For 1.5 of the 2.5 years, I was a homeschooler, full time student, and worked outside the home.

It was insane, but it was doable.

My motivation was that I needed a viable second career because my life is such that retirement will not be an option. I needed/wanted a job that was a match for my skills, interests, and talents.

I am a natural student, and the material in graduate school is different than undergrad; typically you don't have to take a bunch of stuff not related to where you want to land.

I didn't sleep much, and my time with my family suffered. My kids were all over 10 and I can't imagine starting any earlier.

It was worth it.

Your kids are young, so you are in no rush. Take your time and do one class at a time like I did. I got my Bachelor in 2006 and my Masters last summer. I'm still going! Look at adult education programs with classes for adult learners that are held evenings and weekends.

Did you go from no college to graduated? How long did it take you?

I went through nursing school while homeschooling. I'll probably complete my BSN degree, and perhaps beyond, while homeschooling. There was another homeschooling mom in my class, and one of the instructors was a single mom who was teaching, getting her MSN, and

homeschooling her high school age kids at the same time.

I think it's good for kids to see their parents "doing school" and continuing to learn.

It definitely helps if you can take at least some classes online, and have kids and a DH who are willing and able to work independently and help pick up some of the slack as far as housecleaning, cooking, etc.

I tried to go back when my first kids were 9 and 7. It was hard....really hard. I eventually couldn't continue.

I went back again a couple years ago. Much better.

But now challenging again as I have the littles (I've only had my littles since last April).

I will be finishing. It may take me the full four years to get my bachelors when I thought I was going to be able to go a little faster. At least I keep plugging along.

Did you go from no college to graduated? How long did it take you?

I went from an Associates Degree to a Bachelors. The adult ed school has 4 semesters. I skipped summer semester, and took 1 class in each of the other three semesters, so it took me about 5 years to do that one, and another 5 for the Masters. At this rate, it will take me another ~7 to get the Doctorate.

Especially when all of my children were little, it was wonderful to have a couple nights per week out of the house to converse with adults. The Master's classes only meet once per week, or even once every other week with an online component, which is just great! Which reminds me... I have a short paper due tomorrow!

Edited by Amy in NH

I can't be the only one on here in this position. I also have to wonder if the whole degree thing is to validate that I'm actually qualified to HS... but that's another thread entirely. DH knows I'm capable or he wouldn't be allowing this, but without a college degree under my belt I feel as though I have less respect from my college-educated peers. DH's family is also very well educated - they all have Master's and PHD's...

if you've made it his far I congratulate you.

I don't know about getting a degree, but please banish thought about not being capable enough to homeschool without one. I went to work after high school as well (ages ago). I worked my way up and quit a very decent paying job to work with dh right before ds was born. Dh's family (except him) is all very well educated, Master's, PHD's as well. They have never for one moment made me feel unworthy to educate my son, hopefully yours won't do that to you.

We've been homeschooling for 8 1/2 years. My MIL visited over the summer and congratulated me on my effort and the results, as ds is pretty awesome (I only had a little to do with that :tongue_smilie:). It was nice to hear from a woman that has multiple initials (credentials) after her name. Like everything else you sometimes have to earn the respect from others for what you do, homeschooling is no different in that matter. I've had to bite my tongue a few times from comments from my sister. And like any job, I don't go around lamenting all the bad things to everyone. I vent here and share the victories with others.

I know some people see homeschooling as an extension of family life, but coming from a working perspective, I treat it as a job. I was good at my work when I was employed outside the home, I give homeschooling the same diligence.

I'm rambling and that's not even what you asked about. :lol:

I went through nursing school while homeschooling. I'll probably complete my BSN degree, and perhaps beyond, while homeschooling. There was another homeschooling mom in my class, and one of the instructors was a single mom who was teaching, getting her MSN, and

homeschooling her high school age kids at the same time.

I think it's good for kids to see their parents "doing school" and continuing to learn.

It definitely helps if you can take at least some classes online, and have kids and a DH who are willing and able to work independently and help pick up some of the slack as far as housecleaning, cooking, etc.

About the bold, my kids loved the fact that I was a student. We'd study at the same time, and it helped our relationship.

Admitting that there are other ways to accomplish what I am about to say: Seeing me working outside the home and/or going to school helped my kids see me more broadly, more accurately, as a whole person. It also broadened their understanding of the role of women.

What do YOU want to do?

Timing? Is that what you want to do THIS year? Would the degree go stale sitting there for years anyway? (Would you want to quit SAHMing to work when you finish school?)

Timing!!! Get HSing rolling well, and then think about adding more. I think it would be overwhelming to start both at the same time.

I have often thought that taking a class or two for myself would be a welcome diversion from the monotony of little kids.;) I have just not answered my first question for myself...atleast not with the same answer 2 days in a row. I want a career when my dc are in college too. I think I'll probably spend their high school years updating my education. idk. Right now I am self-educating, reading and re-learning things...and I HAVE a bach degree...a bach degree that is stale and cannot earn me $ without updating with classes and certifications and a decision to quit HSing. sigh.