Menu

Dr. Hive: son has ridiculously loud stomach grumbling, pain and...

constipation. He's in a fair amount of discomfort. The intestinal gurgling is RIDICULOUS-you can hear it across the room. He has been consuming prune juice, miralax, and yesterday had an enema. He has pain in his upper abdomen and hasnt had a bowel movement for 3-4 days. Absolutely no appetite, either. Doc says to keep up with the miralax and prune juice. He's also taking papaya enzyme and probiotics daily. A hot water bottle helps also.

Any other suggestions?

A nice, long, hot bath. And someone here suggested to me that, when sitting on the toilet, my DD use a little footstool or block to lift her knees up above her hips. She said it really helped her! IME, eventually the Miralax and prune juice will make their way through. It's frightening waiting though :grouphug:

ETA: And make sure he's drinking plenty of water.

A nice, long, hot bath. And someone here suggested to me that, when sitting on the toilet, my DD use a little footstool or block to lift her knees up above her hips. She said it really helped her! IME, eventually the Miralax and prune juice will make their way through. It's frightening waiting though :grouphug:

ETA: And make sure he's drinking plenty of water.

Thank you-yes, he squats on the toilet when trying to go. How long do you think this will take? :(

Thank you-yes, he squats on the toilet when trying to go. How long do you think this will take? :(

It's hard to say, but with that much stomach grumbling, at least you know something is going on. I would guess the next day or two, based on my own experience with DD, but it depends on how bad the blockage is. I'm surprised that the enema didn't produce anything. Did the doc say anything about glycerin suppositories? We've not had to go that route yet, but I'd think it might make passing the harder stuff a bit faster.

Has the doctor talked to you about bowel retraining once this immediate problem is solved? That's key to avoiding it in the future.

This is so common :( I remember my cousin actually having a major problem with it when she was around the same age, and she's 34 now. Her daughter is currently having a problem, my DD9 has a recurring problem, another friend just told me her son is having a problem... It's so frustrating, isn't it?

At this point, I'd do mineral oil or ex-lax (which goes down much easier than mineral oil if you buy the chocolate kind!). ETA, ex-lax dose is very small, though I can't remember what it was exactly... some fraction, maybe half, of one of the chocolate rectangles.

If this is a chronic problem rather than a single episode, I'd also recommend trying magnesium citrate.

Edited by wapiti