Menu

Can you help me with an autistic boy in my Sunday class?

We have a boy who comes to our class occasionally. His mom is trying to get back to coming more regularly but is very hesitant because her five-year-old is autistic and a handful. I have some experience with autism, but not much past 3 or 4yos. We want to do as much as we can to help him have a good time in our class. I've asked his mom what would help him.

It is 100 minutes (give or take) where the first bit is a big group activity with singing and a lesson. The next chunk of time (about 40-50 minutes) is just with my husband and I and any children who were five at the start of January.

Any extra ideas or things to read to help us help him? Anything from teaching an autistic boy in a group (8 kids or less) to understanding development or connecting with this little boy?

Thanks so much!

It is hard to give you some ideas without really knowing more about the little boy. My ds11 has a one-to-one aide in public school due to the extent of his needs. He does go to Sunday school classes with his twin sister, but doesn't really participate much. The teacher knows that at times he needs a "sensory" movement break and modified activities. She is a teacher he happens to know from his ps, so that really helps.

How verbal is this little boy? What is his attention span like? How independent is he (would he really need another adult with him so that he can actively participate)? What specific behavioral and sensory needs does he have?

BTW, how great that you are even willing to try with this 5 year old! We did not have that experience in our previous church. I know that it is a difficult situation and your classes are long (even for a neurotypical child), but just the fact that you are reaching out for help is wonderful.

This sounds like primary...if so I would talk to the primary president about getting an aide for the child...also there is a book specific to lds called disabilities in the gospel has some really good ideas regarding picture schedules and other ideas that help special needs children.

This sounds like primary...if so I would talk to the primary president about getting an aide for the child...also there is a book specific to lds called disabilities in the gospel has some really good ideas regarding picture schedules and other ideas that help special needs children.

I agree with the idea of getting an aide. I had an autistic boy in my class last year, and there was a second "teacher" in the class, whose sole duty was to pay attention to him and help him get the most out of the class without being a disruption. He was verbal, but would sometimes get focused on something that was off-topic and want the teacher's full attention until he was done talking about it. The second teacher was able to deflect him from me and get him to share his thoughts with her in a whisper while I went on with the lesson for the other kids, and very often she was also able to gently cut him short and direct him back to the lesson. She would also walk around the halls with him if he ever got overwhelmed.

Also, (and I'd probably do this *first*) talk to the little boys' parents. Nobody knows him better than they do, and I'm sure they'd have plenty of pointers to give you on how best to deal with him. :001_smile:

In our church in this situation, the child would have a one-on-one aide who would employ strategies suggested by the parent. The child would still be with the other children, but would get special accommodations so that his needs could be met. It is unlikely that you can just have him in the classroom without one-on-one and have him learn and the other kids learn. The large group environment is going to be the most difficult part for him. If he likes to sing, it may help, but the noise, crowd, etc. are likely to be overwhelming. You may need a separate area for him during that time.

You guys must have bigger churches..an aide???? We can't even staff our regular classes... an aide?????

These aren't professional aides, they're volunteers from within the congregation (although they admittedly do try to find if someone in the congregation is already professional trained to do such a thing, as the aide in my class was, and as my MIL is, and so she's an aide to an autistic boy in her own congregation in Utah).

LDS congregations don't have paid positions. Members of the congregation are "called" by the Bishopric (a Bishop and his two councilors) to serve in various capacities within the congregation. Currently I'm a teacher in Primary (Sunday School for 3-11 year olds. My class is the 10 year olds). Prior to that I was a teacher in the Relief Society (women's organizaton). We believe that the Lord guides and directs the Bishopric as to who to Call for the various positions, and then they approach that person to ask if they'd be willing to serve. Pretty much everyone in the congregation is doing *something* to keep things functioning. :)

These aren't professional aides, they're volunteers from within the congregation (although they admittedly do try to find if someone in the congregation is already professional trained to do such a thing, as the aide in my class was, and as my MIL is, and so she's an aide to an autistic boy in her own congregation in Utah).

:iagree: I believe that where there is a need, God will provide. We've been able to have one-on-one aides when we've needed them. Right now, we've got a terrific one-on-one situation now. No special ed background, grad student in unrelated field who just follows guidelines provided by the mom and has a good heart. The sub for him is a high school student, no special ed background, who also just follows guidelines provided by the mom and has a good heart. The mom reports her child, who would not be able to be mainstreamed in a public school, looks forward to coming to class and is learning about Jesus.

Edited by Laurie4b

I would definitely talk to the parents first to get an idea of his strengths and weaknesses. Is there any reason why a parent can't stay with him? If he were my son I would be staying and helping as needed. I would also gradually increase the amount of time he stays in the class. Maybe starting with 15 or 30 minutes.

I would definitely talk to the parents first to get an idea of his strengths and weaknesses. Is there any reason why a parent can't stay with him? If he were my son I would be staying and helping as needed. I would also gradually increase the amount of time he stays in the class. Maybe starting with 15 or 30 minutes.

I stay with my daughter, but I have to say, the idea of an aide who could handle her would be a Godsend. I haven't been able to go to the sanctuary and just worship or relax in years.

If you are LDS...and I'm guessing you are by the way things sound...

There are some great articles in the Friend that talk about autistic and other special needs children in the classroom. I have used those articles to help other children develop compassion and understanding and patience both in at the jr. primary level and now in YW.

The church has also recently put out a bunch of helps for teaching special need children...you might look at Teaching, No Greater Call and

here: http://www.lds.org/disability/list/autism?lang=eng, but for sure check out:

autismandprimary.blogspot.com

What has worked best for me has been:

*pairing a one on one aide with the child

*using a positive reward system (stickers, food treats, whatever clicks with that child for certain key behaviors--being reverent during prayers, sitting in his/her seat during sharing time, whatever behavior you're targeting)

*having a very consistent routine to my classtime

*noticing when the child is starting to lose it--and giving them time/space to pull themselves back together with support--we had one kid who just went nuts with the flourescent lights--we ended up just teaching with the lights off and the curtains and door wide open

*working closely with the parents to understand how you can be supportive.

We currently have a YM organization where half of the active YM are autistic. Not all of them are able to participate fully, but I believe they each feel involved and loved and part of the organization. It's been really challenging for our YW at times at combined activities, but I've really seen them increase in their patience and tolerance and acceptance--which is an area where they've needed to grow. ;)

For me church sunday school time is the only time the whole week when I am not with my child. It is nice to know that my child is safe while being nourished and refreshed myself. I can be renewed for another week.

Thanks all! I am :bigear: everything!

We are LDS and this is a primary class. My husband and I team teach so there are always two people in the class. The reason we both are there is because it is a large class (14 5yos on our roster) and two autistic children, one more severe than the other. I almost would feel silly asking for an aide seeing as we have two teachers already and no other class has two teachers. But between dealing with that many 5yos and having our baby with us, adding in an autistic child who needs one-on-one time is stretching even the two of us thin. Still, no other class has two teachers...

He did really well this last week. Mostly I want to be able to help him enjoy and love coming to Primary. I have read Teaching No Greater Call and the Autism/Primary Blog. I'm also reading through old Ensign/Friend talks about this subject. I am thinking about asking if we can take some time during Sharing Time to teach a lesson about special needs. The kids in my class (CTR 5s) are very aware that this little boy is different.

I do plan on getting together with his mom and learning more about him and seeing how I can help him.

At the same time, I don't want to shortchange my neurotypical kids who are thriving with our classroom setup.

FWIW, we have a positive reward system in place, there is a consistent schedule and we include several get-up-and-move type of activities during our lessons.

I feel that asking his mom to sit in on his class might help a bit, but I really do want her to be able to enjoy being in an adult-oriented class. And, like I said, this past Sunday, he really did okay without her.

Ask for an aide...the most they can do is say no...but if they say yes then you get help. Tell them that this child needs it for himself and that the second teacher in the room is needed for the other 13 children. Tell them it needs to be person that is consistent in church attendance. I would use a visual picture schedule, possibly movable with velcro so the activities can be changed and so that the child can physically move it to realize what comes next. IE Song Prayer Scripture Talk, Sing time, Teaching time, Moving time (possibly break down to drink/bathroom then classroom) then have the parts of the class lesson set up. Then right before each event show the picture and move it to show the next thing. Also social stories specific to church could help.

Heres the link to the book that I was talking about that is really good about disabilities in our church.

It may be normal in your church setting to have only one teacher per class, but that is not normal in many settings. Many insurance companies won't insure a church if there is only one adult per class no matter how few children there are. It's to prevent abuse. The "2 adult" per room to prevent abuse is pretty much standard "due diligence" on the part of a church to prevent abuse. Many churches will not allow a couple to be the two people because of the inability of a jury to accept that a spouse's testimony is nonbiased if the other spouse were ever to be accused. It is what it is at your church; I'm just giving you this information. You could pass it on to whoever is in charge of your children's ministry.

I would consider 14 a fairly large 5 year old class even with two teachers. I would ask for the aide.

LDS congregations don't have paid positions. Members of the congregation are "called" by the Bishopric (a Bishop and his two councilors) to serve in various capacities within the congregation. Currently I'm a teacher in Primary (Sunday School for 3-11 year olds. My class is the 10 year olds). Prior to that I was a teacher in the Relief Society (women's organizaton). We believe that the Lord guides and directs the Bishopric as to who to Call for the various positions, and then they approach that person to ask if they'd be willing to serve. Pretty much everyone in the congregation is doing *something* to keep things functioning. :)

I'm not LDS, but this is what our church does also. All of our classes are lead by volunteers from the congregation. We have "shadows" for our special needs kids.

You guys must have bigger churches..an aide???? We can't even staff our regular classes... an aide?????

Sure, a teenager or other volunteer from the congregation who can stay with him in Sunday school and pay special attention to him, make sure he's understanding things OK, that kind of thing.

I don't know what other churches do, but at our smallish church, all the teachers and helpers are volunteers. Aiding each other, helping each other ... that's what we're here for! People sign up for a month or a season of teaching, and when they need help in a classroom, they ask a high-schooler or another adult to help out.

Anyway, it really depends on the child! So I agree with all those who said ask the parents for advice. My son has Asperger's syndrome; he's OK in a group, usually, although he might resist doing a group activity. He's OK with constant loud noise but not sudden, unexpected loud noises (a sudden big laugh, somebody drops something). His teachers (or I, if I'm the teacher) encourage him to do the planned activity but let him color on his own (which he likes to do) after that, if he wants to. He does not respond well AT ALL to rewards and punishments (like stickers for good behavior, or on the other hand, 'time out' for bad behavior, etc.); he DOES respond well to reason (having it spelled out -- more than you might think is necessary, but just go with it -- why it's important to be quiet and listen now, etc.). Another child might be the exact opposite -- who knows? Anyway, that's my child. Ask these parents about theirs!