Menu

Good Health Curriculum?

PIE!

My state requires us to study health. We do this plenty through living life. I'm very health conscious and dh is a doctor, so health is a common topic of discussion. But since the state requires it, it's easier to just get a curriculum than to make a detailed plan of our topical discussions for paperwork purposes.

This year we're doing Rod and Staff health for two reasons. 1 - it was cheap. 2 - it was full of short, easy lessons.

But it seems a bit silly. Much of the information is not applicable to us, and some of it is scientifically wrong (ex. we read today that you can get a cold if you don't bundle up warm enough when you play outside). We'll be looking for something else to fill that health requirement next year.

Is there a good health curriculum out there? Something that won't take an extensive amount of time, but is still fun and applicable? I could create my own with library books, but it'd be so much easier not to.

Thanks!

I struggle with health/safety/fire prevention every year. We too are required to cover those topics yearly.

I know you were looking for a specific curriculum for health but I personally have yet to find one I like. I decided to simply cover one health topic a year with a living book as our source. Usborne makes many books that cover a vast range of topics and kids enjoy them.

I am using the free health curriculum available at http://www.kidshealth.org. It's called Kids Health in the Classroom and they have it for different grade levels. You print the articles (or you can read them at your computer if you'd prefer) and read those, and then there's sometimes a quiz sheet, and there's always some sort of fun activity you can do at the end. My daughter and I do it weekly.

http://kidshealth.org/classroom/

See the sidebar on the left under "Categories" to pick the grade level you are looking for. Click it, then select the category you want to start with (There's Human Body, Health Problems, and Personal Health), and then it'll bring up a bunch of articles, handouts etc that you can download and print as desired.

Did I mention free? :)

I struggle with health/safety/fire prevention every year. We too are required to cover those topics yearly.

I know you were looking for a specific curriculum for health but I personally have yet to find one I like. I decided to simply cover one health topic a year with a living book as our source. Usborne makes many books that cover a vast range of topics and kids enjoy them.

Do you have to show this in a portfolio? I do, too. You can look up "fire safety worksheets" or "fire safety activity sheets" and have the kids to a word search, crossword puzzle, activity sheet, etc. and include that in your portfolio. Older kids can write up a fire escape plan and draw a diagram of how to get out of your house. I usually include a brief "summary" with my portfolio and it might say something like this:

SAFETY EDUCATION TO INCLUDE FIRE SAFETY

Alexa read about fire safety and prevention on various websites, such as smokeybear.com, firestories.com, and sparky.org. We discuss fire safety in our home. We walked through our home reviewing a fire escape plan, and Alexa drew her own fire escape diagram. She's done such activities as fire safety crossword puzzles. We also discuss such things as outdoor and street safety, the importance of seatbelts, pool and water safety, electrical hazards, and have age appropriate discussions on the hazards of smoking and illegal drugs.

or

"Alexa did various fire safety worksheets. We went to visit a fire department, where the kids in our meetup group got to see and climb in and explore the fire trucks, see all the equipment, try on the safety clothing and ask any questions they may have of the fireman who was there. We have discussions pertaining to fire safety and fire escape plans in our home."

I am using the free health curriculum available at http://www.kidshealth.org. It's called Kids Health in the Classroom and they have it for different grade levels. You print the articles (or you can read them at your computer if you'd prefer) and read those, and then there's sometimes a quiz sheet, and there's always some sort of fun activity you can do at the end. My daughter and I do it weekly.

See the sidebar on the left under "Categories" to pick the grade level you are looking for. Click it, then select the category you want to start with (There's Human Body, Health Problems, and Personal Health), and then it'll bring up a bunch of articles, handouts etc that you can download and print as desired.

Awesome resource!

Thanks! :D

I am using the free health curriculum available at www.kidshealth.org. It's called Kids Health in the Classroom and they have it for different grade levels. You print the articles (or you can read them at your computer if you'd prefer) and read those, and then there's sometimes a quiz sheet, and there's always some sort of fun activity you can do at the end. My daughter and I do it weekly.

I love this! It will be a great addition to our human body study-thanks:)