Menu

I made a practice wedding cake this morning!

I've been wanting to make a practice one for sometime now. I used the same cake for three designs - icing the front half of the cakes, scraping it off, and then icing it with another design. The last design was the fondant one, which turned out okay, but too lumpy. Any tips for having a smoother look (lol, it looks like it has cellulite!)?

post-232-13535086159547_thumb.jpg

post-232-13535086160157_thumb.jpg

post-232-135350861608_thumb.jpg

post-232-13535086159547_thumb.jpg

post-232-13535086160157_thumb.jpg

post-232-135350861608_thumb.jpg

Tip for fondant:

Ice cakes with butter cream (about 1/4 inch thick). REFRIGERATE for at least 30 minutes-- if not more-- you want the buttercream cold and firm (not dried out). Apply fondant BEFORE cakes are stacked!

Roll fondant a bit thinner than it looks like you did in your picture-- make sure fondant is not too dry. I like marshmallow fondant-- it is easy to make and it tastes great! For wedding cakes I flavor it with vanilla as well as another complementary flavor (like strawberry if the filling has strawberries).

After you drape your fondant-- pull it out away from the cake and smooth from the top down against the cake-- keep pulling drape out and away as you move around the cake to avoid wrinkles. I use my hand to smooth the first time around and then I switch to the fondant paddles--to get rid of the 'cellulite'! Use pizza cutter to cut away excess on bottom... LOTS of YouTube videos on how to do this.

--

When I use only butter cream icing I also do the crumb coat as well as the BASE coat before cakes are stacked.

I prefer to use plastic separator plates between layers for support-- I get one size smaller than the cake above. After baking and leveling cakes I place on a cardboard cake circle cut 1/4 inch SMALLER than cake--then put onto plastic separator plate for support. If another cake is going on top I will add dowel rods to this layer under where the plate will go. Separator plate and cardboard will NOT be visible once cakes are stacked.

The BASE cake does not get the separator plate-- I usually use a cake board cut a few inches wider than the cake-- cake board is made from 1/2 inch plywood or MDF. I cover board with decorative foil OR with fondant...

Edited by Jann in TX