Menu

Dolciani and Lial Pre-algebra on the shelf...

I can't decide which one to use. The Dolciani we have is an older edition, but I can tell I like the way it flows. Lial's looks more user-friendly, and my dd thinks it looks better.

I love math, but my dd doesn't, even though she is great at it.

If you had to pick between these two, which would you pick?

I can't decide which one to use. The Dolciani we have is an older edition, but I can tell I like the way it flows. Lial's looks more user-friendly, and my dd thinks it looks better.

I love math, but my dd doesn't, even though she is great at it.

If you had to pick between these two, which would you pick?

What did you use before? I'm surprised your dd thought Lial's looked more user-friendly.:001_huh: After purchasing it and reviewing it with my wife we were not impressed with the layout at all. I guess its the small print and busy nature of the text. But it may work fine for some students. The sample someone posted from Dolciani Pre-A looked a lot more straight foward.

Did you also purchase Lial's Student Solutions Manual? We bought that along with the accompanying lectures on CD.

Derek

Edited by dereksurfs

What did you use before? I'm surprised your dd thought Lial's looked more user-friendly.:001_huh: After purchasing it and reviewing it with my wife we were not impressed with the layout at all. I guess its the small print and busy nature of the text. But it may work fine for some students. The sample someone posted from Dolciani Pre-A looked a lot more straight foward.

Did you also purchase Lial's Student Solutions Manual? We bought that along with the accompanying lectures on CD.

Derek

I think it's because we have the older versions of Dolciani, and they are smaller and more "old fashioned" looking. I did see those samples you are talking about, and to me, they look very similar to Lial's. I don't have the solutions manual.

Personally, I would let dd work through a few lessons of each and decide. I love Dolciani for the terminology and the thoroughness. We did a 70s pre-algebra and ds did well, but the 60s version of algebra is confusing him.

Good idea! Thanks Paula. :D

Interested to hear what you choose. We'll be making the same choice (along with AoPS) in a few months.

Keep me updated on your choice as well!

Since you now have both textbooks and have had a chance to look at them do you have a sense yet which would be eaiser to teach from? Which book do you think provides the best explanations 'built-in' vs. the student having to ask you more Qs or use supplimental materials to understand concepts presented?

I have a feeling this will be very subjective based on your teaching style (how much you want to teach, explain concepts, etc...) as well as your dd's learning style.

Bottom line question: While Lial might look more modern on the cover and offer more colorful pages will the content be the best to meet both of your needs? That is the question I wrestle with in picking a companion text for our MUS Pre-A program we will be doing. For me at least I prefer clearer, cleaner content and explanation. And our kids are used to B&W paged textbooks from MUS. So I don't think the color or modern looks will matter as much. We'll see.

Derek

Edited by dereksurfs

I have not seen Dolciani but I can say that Lial Prealgebra (3rd edition) is working very well at our house. Everything is very well explained. The only negative thing I can say about it is that the lessons get long sometimes. But, as far as the book and explanations --- we couldn't be happier.

I've never seen Lial's so I can't comment on that. However, I am a math loving Mom w/ a ds that does not love math (although he is very good at it.) I am VERY happy with the Dolciani Pre-Algebra. (I have the 1985 version, though.) Ds is at least as happy as he's ever been and is having a good year.

I just found a 1988 Dolciani prealgebra on my shelf. I had forgotten that I bought it, duh. It looks really good. I think we have a winner.

I can't wait to get my copy! DS and I worked on the multiplication chapter in AoPS today ,the one that talks about the distributive rule, and I was surprised that he enjoyed struggling to figure it out. But still on the fence about it.

I just found a 1988 Dolciani prealgebra on my shelf. I had forgotten that I bought it, duh. It looks really good. I think we have a winner.

Glad to hear Nakia. How does your dd like it so far? I know you mentioned that you had an older Doliciani version. You compared to Lials in terms of its looks. Was that older than the 1988 version or was it the same one? I don't think I would go looking for a 1960s edition either even though it is regarded a classic.

Glad to hear Nakia. How does your dd like it so far? I know you mentioned that you had an older Doliciani version. You compared to Lials in terms of its looks. Was that older than the 1988 version or was it the same one? I don't think I would go looking for a 1960s edition either even though it is regarded a classic.

FWIW, for the prealgebra, I'm not aware that there's a 60s version available. The early version that some people have (including myself) is 1970, which was re-published in 1973 and appears to be becoming more scarce. The 1985/1988 version is more available and much more modern in feel, but without the lessons on set theory. To satisfy my own curiosity, I also recently ordered the 1977 (which had a similar, revised edition in 1981), because I think it might be what I used back in the day.

(after all this indecision, today I had dd do a lesson in AoPS LOL)

Edited by wapiti
add links

Doliciani question. Do you think you need the teacher manual for pre-algebra?

The one I have has the odd answers in the back. The explanations are clear enough that I don't need a TM. The only problem is there are no answers to the Chapter tests in the back so you have to DO the test. This earns me points with ds.:)