Menu

Location & age limits..making it work?

Jess4879

We live in a rural location - a good 35+ mins from the nearest city. Joining a lot of groups, sports, etc doesn't usually work out for us. A lot of the activities take place in the winter as well, which means a lot of missed activiites due to weather and poor driving conditions.

We also have been running in to problems lately regarding age group limitations. For example - art classes split my kids into two groups, which is all good and fine except I am expected to be in both groups, which clearly can't happen.

I have an 8, 5 and 2 year old. If I can get the 8 & 5 year old in to something, I can typically not bring the 2 year old. We don't have a sitter that is available during the day, and I am not wanting to put him in daycare. Seems to defeat the purpose of being home if all my kids can't be with me.

I feel bad though. I guess it's hard to see all these great activities offered and then not be able to take advantage of them. :-(

So, what I'm wanting to know I guess, is how other families make this work? Or do you just wait it out until the kids are older?

I had to wait until my kids were older. My older three have similar age difference to your children, so I know exactly what you're talking about! We didn't live in a rural area, but in a commuter suburb in California, where all the nearby activities were at least 30 minutes away by freeway. We didn't have a local homeschool group.

I just mentioned in the co-op thread that one of my issues with co-ops is that my kids are too far apart in age, and I was never able to find a co-op that would serve all of them.

There were times in our homeschooling career where we just couldn't do outside classes. It was a season of life, and it worked out just fine. Then there were times when my girls had classes, while my boys and I played outside on the grass, at a nearby park or hung out at the local Starbucks, while we waited. I couldn't do classes that required me to be present all the time, or even share the teaching, because I had nobody to watch the little ones.

Kids really don't need outside classes and things. It's just gravy. It'll get easier when they get older, and then you'll probably miss the days when you didn't have them doing the outside stuff! :)

I think it's wonderful that homeschoolers have filled in with classes and whatnot. But you know what? When we pioneers were homeschooling 25-30 years ago, there weren't any such things (other than community activities), and our dc lived to tell about it. :)

Your dc will be fine without those outside activities for now. Hunker down and build your own family environment while the dc are young, and add those later if it works out for you. :)

I'm in the same boat. The few activities offered around here are normally for teens! We go to what we can and bless the ones we can't with a kiss. Normally we do field trips on our own, or maybe bring a child along who is also home schooled so that DD can have an age-mate along for the ride and investigation.

We have decided to quit most of our extra activities (one dd is doing gymnastics at the same time that oldest dd goes to youth group so I only have to make one trip to town during the week) because it was weighing on my ability to be pleasant to those around me. We live 45 min. away from town, which translates to an hour and a half drive--that all adds up.

This was a very difficult decision for me because I keep thinking that I am seriously damaging their social skills. ;) But the last few weeks have been absolutely wonderful. We are able to spend time having game nights, reading aloud for a lengthy time, watching movies, etc. Being able to have family time outweighs socially active kids, imo. :001_smile: Also, as a result of staying home all of the time, we are able to have good, healthy meals (as opposed to having time only for processed food), we also have time so that the kids can help me make those meals, which adds to the family time.

So I feel that this is the right decision for our family....until I talk to a friend who has her kids in karate, gymnastics, hockey, swimming, etc. and then I start to think that maybe I am damaging my kids. And so it goes. :D

I'm so glad you posted about this. I have found myself in a place where I can't really be a part of a co-op or any extra things (unless they happen in the evenings) ... We have young kids and one of our children has some disabilities, including autism, it makes it difficult for me to be anywhere with all of my kids. A lot of the activities that are local are really only for mom's of toddlers ... where I would be bringing my 7, and almost 5 yr old along. There are also a few hsing "clubs" but they are about 45m each way ... just doesn't work.

We live in a rural location - a good 35+ mins from the nearest city. Joining a lot of groups, sports, etc doesn't usually work out for us. A lot of the activities take place in the winter as well, which means a lot of missed activiites due to weather and poor driving conditions.

We also have been running in to problems lately regarding age group limitations. For example - art classes split my kids into two groups, which is all good and fine except I am expected to be in both groups, which clearly can't happen.

I have an 8, 5 and 2 year old. If I can get the 8 & 5 year old in to something, I can typically not bring the 2 year old. We don't have a sitter that is available during the day, and I am not wanting to put him in daycare. Seems to defeat the purpose of being home if all my kids can't be with me.

I feel bad though. I guess it's hard to see all these great activities offered and then not be able to take advantage of them. :-(

So, what I'm wanting to know I guess, is how other families make this work? Or do you just wait it out until the kids are older?

Why do you have to attend Art with the 8 yo? I can see attending with the 5 yo but I think at 8 that's old enough to attend w/o parental assistance.

When we pioneers were homeschooling 25-30 years ago, there weren't any such things (other than community activities), and our dc lived to tell about it. :)

Your dc will be fine without those outside activities for now. Hunker down and build your own family environment while the dc are young, and add those later if it works out for you. :)

I agree completely.

My DC aren't as young as yours but we, too, live in a more remote area. I drive 35 minutes to the nearest activities. That said, I do a lot of driving. I also do a lot of sitting and waiting. For example, on Wednesdays, DS has a hip hop dance class 35 minutes away. DD and I sit in the lobby and wait for his hour class. Then, we go eat lunch somewhere and go back to the studio for DD's musical theater class, during which DS and I sit and wait in the lobby. They are both well used to having to hang out and wait for the other. We use the time to finish up school work or the kids will bring books or art stuff or their DS's to pass the time.

Why do you have to attend Art with the 8 yo? I can see attending with the 5 yo but I think at 8 that's old enough to attend w/o parental assistance.

So far the ones that have been offered were through our homeschool group and they want a parent present to help, I guess.

Sometimes being part of outside activities is highly over-rated and tends to wear on our ability to do other more important things well. I once had my daughter in a once weekly science class that I was paying a lot for and also driving 45 minutes each way to attend. My son was younger and there was no class for him to attend there which meant we had some time to hang out together or do other assignments so that wasn't all bad. However, though the program was fun and educational, the tole it took on all of us just to do this one class was not worth the benefit.