Menu

French textbook

What options are there for a high school/college level French textbook that offers at least an audio component and an answer key? French in Action online videos won't work outside of the US and Canada so that won't be an option for us. I like going through the big thick books at my kid's pace, but I need one that offers answers or a teacher's guide and gives audio listening practice. Cost is an issue and I will buy used if possible. I've been looking through some older editions of college textbooks, but it is hard to know what is good when I can't really see the book. :bigear:

How about BJU French? The textbooks and workbooks have answer keys, and they also offer audio CDs that go with the texts and workbooks. It is supposed to be high school level, but from the looks of it, it could easily be made a college level if you did French 1 over a semester rather than a typical school year, followed by French 2 the next semester.

We like the way the text is put together.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've looked into both of them. Breaking the Barrier seems like it would be difficult for me to use as a non-French speaker - at least the way the author intends it to be used. BJU looks like it might work, but it is quite costly.

Anyone use any of these?

My DD's class uses Espaces.

The textbook has workbook, audio and video CDs, a companion website that contains all the audio and video resources. You can find the instructor CD with solution keys for purchase. The new edition is prohibitively expensive, but the first edition can be bought for a few dollars used. You can still get the access to the companion website for $55 directly through the company (vistahigherlearning).

Some years back when I was researching French texts, I found them unusable at least by year2, when all teacher marerials were in French and assumed I knew what I was doing. So I've used Barron's E-Z French, which explains everything to the student in English and has answers in the back. It covers 2-3 years of grammar. Then for the rest, my older dd used things from the library and such, like Pimsleur and French in Action. My ds uses Rosetta for those parts.

Julie

We use/d:

CLE's Tout va bien 1-4, with workbooks and audio

Hachette's Taxi! 1-3, with workbooks and audio

Hachette's Alter Ego 4 (B2 level)

Hachette's Nouvelle Grammaire du Francais: Cours de Civilisation Francaise de la Sorbonne

All of those are French-in-French, so I am not sure if they would be useful to you. The courses were so-so academically (the upper levels are more challenging, though), not systematic enough for me (although the grammar is GOOD!), but exactly what my daughter needed (in terms of short lessons, short texts, chat prompts, some fluff along the way) in her particular situation.

My middle daughter started using the first of those courses listed.

I doubt these courses would be considered college level - they are high school-ish - but the grammar definitely is. It is a very good and useful reference grammar.