Menu

For those that use Weight Watchers, questions??

I have heard over and over and over again how WW has helped people lose weight and maintain it. Now I am very interested in this program, I have been before, but now I want a support system and someone to be accountable to for my eating choices and exercise routine. I am already on a diet but notice I can give into temptation easily, (like chocolate chip peanut butter cookies....:glare:) and things like that. Although I have been able to lose 15 lbs, that was only with hardcore exercise which I cannot get as much of during the winter months. So I would like to start this program along with my mom (after she has the baby) and if anyone who has used it and has had success, could you tell me how it works and what you have to do? I am so ready to start.

TIA!:bigear:

I'll post more later - but I am a proud "after". :-) I've lost 82.8 pounds since April and am 2 weeks into maintenance (between goal and lifetime). I love the program - its not easy but doable - and I'll post more details later.

Don't worry about rushing, and Congragulations to you!! 82.8 lbs, wow God has blessed you, good for you!:)

My mom lost 22 lbs so far this time on WW. She's 79 and can't do a lot of exercise. Her goal is to lose another 40, I think.

WW is considered a lifestyle-diet--really healthy if you apply their principles. On the new program, fruit doesn't count towards points. My mom gets 26 points every day, and can earn 40 more during the week with exercise. ETA__Ah, I see it's 47. She doesn't exercise, so she wasn't sure.

I used WW when I was nursing (very healthy), and one other time. I just couldn't afford it after a while, but I have a lot of respect for it. You pay every time you go (about $12, depends on your city). If you miss a meeting, you have to pay for the one you miss, most of the time (I think you can miss one occasionally and not pay). You weight in every time. You can go to more than one meeting a week for the weekly fee.

You can also join online.

Edited by Chris in VA

The best deal with Weight Watchers is the monthly pass. It's $40 per month. With the pass, you get to go to as many meeting as you want, although most people usually go one time per week, and you get etools, WW's online service where you can track your weight, what you eat, get recipes, etc. Go online to the WW main site and find a meeting location near you and time that works. Go to the meeting about 1/2 hour early and the leader or another staff member will walk you through signing up. After your meeting, you will meet with your leader to get more information about the program. Your weight is tracked at the weekly meeting.

WW works if you follow the guidelines, and it's as healthy as you want it to be. In addition, you do not need to buy special foods. In fact, you can eat anything you want, even those chocolate chip peanut butter cookies that you like - probably about 4 to 5 points. All foods are assigned points. Most people get 26 points per day plus an extra 49 per week to use as you want; i.e. split evenly each day or for a special occasion, and you can earn more points through exercise.

SWM -- Congratulations on your weight loss!!!

Edited by 1Togo

I don't have the amazing weight loss results of some, but I have lost 30 pounds. I have about 20-25 to go. Even if it takes me another year to get it off, I'm okay with that. I figure if I had not been doing WW all this time, I would be even heavier than I was a year ago.

It really, really helps to go with someone to the meeting. If you know that someone else is depending on you, it makes it that much easier to get there each week.

Someone mentioned the 26 points/day, but you also get 49 points per week to use as you choose. They are intended for all those "extras" we want. It's what make WW so livable. I also earn about 15 points each week with exercise. I can use them or not, as I choose. If I don't use them, I'll lose faster.

Points are calculated based on the amount of carbohydrates, fat, protein, and fiber in an item. You will need to purchase a calculator to figure it out, but it's not too expensive (I think about $6 for a new member). If you are an online member (which I recommend even if you go to the meetings - I do), you can use the online calculator.

It's an awesome program. Good luck with everything! :)

It's not a diet. People who use it as a diet are likely to gain that weight back. Like I did. Twice. It's a program that teaches you how to eat healthy and to focus on correct portion sizes. For example, I can eat 3 pieces of our homemade pizza and be perfectly satisfied. Before WW, I was eating 6 or 7 pieces simply because that pizza tastes good!

I'm on WW for the 3rd time and this time I'm thinking of it as a lifestyle change, not a diet. Plus, once I hit lifetime, I will get the etools and meetings free so there is no reason not to continue on the program for maintenance. I tried doing the program without the meetings and I simply cannot do it. I fall to temptation too easily myself. On program, I'm well aware that I can have anything I want within moderation. Off program, I can think that one day is no big deal and eat whatever/however much I want and then turn that 1 day into a week, always with the idea that it's short term and of course I'll get back on program asap.

Besides, I like the recognition that I'm doing well. I like seeing the numbers in my little book go down, I like seeing the line on the line graph online go down, and I like the rewards. I earned my 10% keychain and my 16-week charm. It's cute and reminds me daily that I'm doing a good thing and that I should be proud of myself.

I've lost 20 lbs. in 17 weeks and I've hardly exercised. I know I should exercise but I hate it so much and I'm having a very difficult time motivating myself to do it more than once a week.

WW is considered a lifestyle-diet--really healthy if you apply their principles. On the new program, fruit doesn't count towards points. My mom gets 26 points every day, and can earn 40 more during the week with exercise. ETA__Ah, I see it's 47. She doesn't exercise, so she wasn't sure.

Besides your daily points, you get a lump sum of 49 to distribute however you want during the week. You can use them or not, it's totally up to the person. Points earned for activity is even above that. Those activity points are not included in the extra weekly 49 you get. I rarely exercise so I only get 26 daily pts. and 49 weekly pts. DH gets that and earns about 30 pts of activity points per week because he runs several times a week, one of those is almost 10 miles in one run. He may use a few of his weekly pts. for extra food pts. in a day, but he never uses his activity pts.

Besides your daily points, you get a lump sum of 49 to distribute however you want during the week. You can use them or not, it's totally up to the person. Points earned for activity is even above that. Those activity points are not included in the extra weekly 49 you get. I rarely exercise so I only get 26 daily pts. and 49 weekly pts. DH gets that and earns about 30 pts of activity points per week because he runs several times a week, one of those is almost 10 miles in one run. He may use a few of his weekly pts. for extra food pts. in a day, but he never uses his activity pts.

Ooops--49!! lol That's what I meant. :D

Thank you all so much for describing the program to me, I am so excited to start and once I show my mom all that you have said and the success that you have had, she will too.

I like the whole idea of the points, how much each individual food gets, and how many points you have a day. I want to be accountable for what I am eating, and even though I am not overweight, I do not want to become overweight or have any excess. There is a meeting center 25 minutes away from my house so that will not be a problem getting to the meetings. And I like how you put it Night Elf, it is a lifestyle change, a healthy and better one!

Thank you!!:) And awesome job to you all for your weight loss, even losing a small amount is still a great accomplishment and there are so many rewards ahead.